Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Travails of Used Car Shopping

I know that this has been discussed at length before, and I know that there are good, reputable car dealers and salesmen. However, I did not run across any of them recently.

1. Went to look at '06 with 40K. Was told it was serviced and taken car of by previous owner. Quick inspection revealed the original factory oil filter still on and nearly rusted through.
    2. Called on an '07 some distance away and told guy I was interested but needed more info than online. He said he would send me pics and Carfax report in morning. Two days later, no info.
    3. Wanted to try out a vehicle I have never driven previously. Used salesman said two on the way and one in detailing, but he would have me drive a new one to get a feel for the model. Sent me to the new car saleman for test drive, who proceeded to question why I would want a used one and that it would be "stupid" to buy used, not new.
    4. Called on car listed in classifieds. Owner said he was out of town but I could have first shot to look when he returned the next day. When I called at the time he suggested he told me he had someone else come to look and it was sold.
    5. Stopped at two dealerships and told salesman to call me when a particular vehicle came in. Vehicles are now sitting on lot but have not heard back from either.
    6. Looked at a car with AWD and 4WD. It wouldn't shift out of 4WD. I told the salesman and he said that was no big deal and I shouldn't worry about it.

Alas, such is too often the experience with transactional salesman.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Travails of Used Car Shopping

And salesmen wonder why people dread talking to them. I've had some very good and some very bad. At least you're not out any money and have started to compile a list of places NOT to go.

Hopefully things straighten up for you.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 281

I recently bought an 06 Honda Pilot and the salesmen were surprisingly very helpful. They negotiated the price well. I couldnt have been happier. I went to a Saturn dealer one time because I was in love with the Vue. They told me I couldnt afford it. How would they get that idea? By just looking at me? They lost a sale that day. I have dealt with some real special salesmen, but that took the cake.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    I recently bought an 06 Honda Pilot and the salesmen were surprisingly very helpful. They negotiated the price well. I couldnt have been happier. I went to a Saturn dealer one time because I was in love with the Vue. They told me I couldnt afford it. How would they get that idea? By just looking at me? They lost a sale that day. I have dealt with some real special salesmen, but that took the cake.
    Did you make it a point to stop back with your Pilot and talk to the guy's boss?

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 281

Quote Originally Posted by HOTDON View Post
    Did you make it a point to stop back with your Pilot and talk to the guy's boss?

Different state. Its an 8 hour drive, otherwise I probably would have. What a jackhole that guy was. Another thing that bugs me is when a salesmen insists on riding with you on the test drive. I hate that.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Different state. Its an 8 hour drive, otherwise I probably would have. What a jackhole that guy was. Another thing that bugs me is when a salesmen insists on riding with you on the test drive. I hate that.
    Fair enough. Chances are his boss is the one who lets him get away with that sort of crap anyway. I'm convinced accountability is dead.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 294

I'm one of the few people that love the whole car buying process. I love having dealers fight it out. If I don't like the salesperson I'll just start making things up. I know that a lot of them either don't know what they are talking about or are lying so it's the one time in my life that I don't feel bad about being a *******.

Having said that, there are a few good guys around town. Bart at Hummells Nissan is one of the best.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I'm one of the few people that love the whole car buying process. I love having dealers fight it out. If I don't like the salesperson I'll just start making things up. I know that a lot of them either don't know what they are talking about or are lying so it's the one time in my life that I don't feel bad about being a *******.

Having said that, there are a few good guys around town. Bart at Hummells Nissan is one of the best.
    My father-in-law seems to enjoy buying cars too. He'll find a car he likes and offer the dealer a ridiculously low price. They reject it, and he comes back a couple weeks later and offers the same thing. He'll repeat the process for several months until the dealer caves and he gets a cheap car.

Cyclone42

Just cut out the "middle man" completely.

I've had really good luck just picking up a Saturday paper (the day with the most car listings) and looking for cars being sold by owners. No dealer, no having to pay 50% (or more) overhead just to buy a car from a dealer. Save a lot of money. Of course, I always take the car to a reliable mechanic for an inspection, and check out carfax.com if it passes inspection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post

I've had really good luck just picking up a Saturday paper (the day with the most car listings) and looking for cars being sold by owners. No dealer, no having to pay 50% (or more) overhead just to buy a car from a dealer. Save a lot of money. Of course, I always take the car to a reliable mechanic for an inspection, and check out carfax.com if it passes inspection.
    This is what i did recently and got a steal of a deal from a guy locally. I think I may repeat this process next time i go looking.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

If you want a trustworthy mechanics shop in DSM to look over the car take it to hickman auto. I've always felt comfortable with them.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post

I have done well when purchasing direct from the owner (twice so far), but haven't yet had any luck this time. Two good experiences on eBay, also. My best experience at dealers is when the vehicle has been on the lot for some time (thank you Carfax) and they want it off of the lot. Usually only works at smaller dealers or less ubiquitous vehicles.

Thumbs Up

If you're in the Ames area, go to Wilson Toyota and talk to Tron Smith. They are an honest, reputable dealership and Tron is absolutely fabulous to deal with. I've purchased my last two cars from him and wouldn't go anywhere else...period!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82

I know there are some used car guys on this board, I'll be in the market in the fall once I save up a little more and I would love to work with some of them.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    If you're in the Ames area, go to Wilson Toyota and talk to Tron Smith. They are an honest, reputable dealership and Tron is absolutely fabulous to deal with. I've purchased my last two cars from him and wouldn't go anywhere else...period!
    "Tron", seriously? That guy must reek of awesomeness.