Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 98

I love college football...

I was in a discussion on another board I regularly post on (it's a band's message board) and we were talking college football. It's a southern rock band, so most of the people on the board are SEC fans, although there are some Big 12 and Big 10 fans mixed about. A Sooner started listing all the things he loves about college football, and this was my response (keeping in the style of his original post):

" I love being part of the one of the most loyal and underrated fan bases in college football. Fans that will fill up the stadium when the team is 2-9, knowing we'll get our *** kicked. Knowing that despite our massive lack of tradition, the fact that we always get close and get ****ed by fate, we'll be there tailgating and partying as hard as anyone in the Big 12 (probably harder). I love the fact that "someday" we'll punch the big boys right in the mouth, and that day is going to be sweet. I love not cheering for a dynasty, but cheering for my alma mater and my home. I love the looks on Texas fans' faces when they roll into Ames, Iowa on a saturday morning, and the lots have been full since before the sun came up, and there are vans, buses, and RVs all painted up red and gold, and thousands of people having a great time, even though we're probably going to lose. I love co-eds in Daisy Dukes and bare mid riffs. I love cooking Iowa chops, Riceville locker bratwurst and drinking Olde Main Dinkey Wheat. I love taking pulls of Templeton Rye in Jack Trice Stadium. I love watching UT and OU beat the **** out of each other. I love watching the Big 12 crack skulls out of conference (especially against the Big 10). I love the Big 12 conference. I love upsets. I'm ok with Gameday, when they don't have their lips firmly wrapped around the SEC's ****. I love watching Big East and ACC games on Thursday nights to get ready for the weekend. I love it when they show shots of the crowd during games. I love my Cyclones.

And I too, love college football."

I want to see some other Fanatics take on what they love about the greatest regular season in American Sports...

Last edited by mj4cy; 06-18-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 21

Re: I love college football...

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I was in a discussion on another board I regularly post on (it's a band's message board) and we were talking college football. It's a southern rock band, so most of the people on the board are SEC fans, although there are some Big 12 and Big 10 fans mixed about. A Sooner started listing all the things he loves about college football, and this was my response (keeping in the style of his original post):

" I love being part of the one of the most loyal and underrated fan bases in college football. Fans that will fill up the stadium when the team is 2-9, knowing we'll get our *** kicked. Knowing that despite our massive lack of tradition, the fact that we always get close and get ****ed by fate, we'll be there tailgating and partying as hard as anyone in the Big 12 (probably harder). I love the fact that "someday" we'll punch the big boys right in the mouth, and that day is going to be sweet. I love not cheering for a dynasty, but cheering for my alma mater and my home. I love the looks on Texas fans' faces when they roll into Ames, Iowa on a saturday morning, and the lots have been full since before the sun came up, and there are vans, buses, and RVs all painted up red and gold, and thousands of people having a great time, even though we're probably going to lose. I love co-eds in Daisy Dukes and bare mid riffs. I love cooking Iowa chops, Riceville locker bratwurst and drinking Olde Main Dinkey Wheat. I love taking pulls of Templeton Rye in Jack Trice Stadium. I love watching UT and OU beat the **** out of each other. I love watching the Big 12 crack skulls out of conference (especially against the Big 10). I love the Big 12 conference. I love upsets. I'm ok with Gameday, when they don't have their lips firmly wrapped around the SEC's ****. I love watching Big East and ACC games on Thursday nights to get ready for the weekend. I love it when they show shots of the crowd during games. I love my Cyclones.

I want to see some other Fanatics take on what they love about the greatest regular season in American Sports...
    Well i guess i cant argue with much you said
    I love gameday in the parking lots there is nothing better, then seeing the team run outta the tunnel its a ******* rush
    how many more days till we get to experience the rush of cyclone football, because i cant bleeping wait

Last edited by mj4cy; 06-18-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 844
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 13

I love everything about gameday inside Jack Trice Stadium too.

The sights, the sounds

Those sunny afternoons watchin the cyclones. I love winning, but a loss is still a great time.

I have been frustrated with so many losses and contemplated switching to a different fanbase (shame on me) but there is no way I can give up all those great memories.

I love cyclone football.

PS I had a dream the other night that i was at this season's Iowa vs ISU game (third Iowa vs ISU dream in the last few weeks!) I was partying on the hillside with a bunch of ppl I didn't even know- but I know that Iowa State won the game! I woke up thinking that was the greatest party of my life! haha..

Go Cyclones!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 656
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

I love preseason hype that is proved wrong before conference play.

I love hearing how bad my team will play, and how bad my team will lose, but then hear how my rival was screwed after my team didn't play bad or lose.

I love being able to win a football game without scoring a touchdown.

I love hearing how my fanbase sucks from someone but then hearing how mean my fanbase treated his/her fanbase horribly not even a day later.

I love listening to the "Sky is Falling Radio Program" on WHO Radio.

I love how my rival's coach has been considered the greatest coach in the country and 'on the hot seat' within a month of each other.

I love college football.

Last edited by Haverhill; 06-17-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

When does football start again? This got me pumped.

I love the Frozen Lemonades

I love waiting in line to use the bathroom at halftime

I love tailgating and playing bags

I love seeing the smiles and enthusiasm of the players after they've won a game.

I love hearing the fans and students cheer for something they love more than anything at that moment.

I love Iowa State Cyclone Football

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 15

I love Cyclone football. You encompassed most of it in the original post.

In my years at ISU, I was generally too cool to go to games, but tailgated and made an occasional game. It wasn't until 2003, when we got season tickets, that it became a passion. And I'll admit it, I tear up most times, singing the Bells of Iowa State. It's not just the game, but I absolutely love ISU!

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 21

ya i cant wait, my life revolves around cyclone football, and my wife

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by dunar View Post
    I love Cyclone football. You encompassed most of it in the original post.

In my years at ISU, I was generally too cool to go to games, but tailgated and made an occasional game. It wasn't until 2003, when we got season tickets, that it became a passion. And I'll admit it, I tear up most times, singing the Bells of Iowa State. It's not just the game, but I absolutely love ISU!
    This line sums up why so many Cyclone fans make actually going to the school you cheer for such a big deal. No offense to those great non-alumni fans we have (and we need more of you!), but when you've spent a few years in Ames, on campus, as a student, the place just gets into your blood and become part of who you are. 75% of Hawk fans will never understand this kind of feeling.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

Amen.

Last edited by mj4cy; 06-18-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYCRAZY View Post
    ya i cant wait, my life revolves around cyclone football, and my wife
    Leave her out of this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 15

This line sums up why so many Cyclone fans make actually going to the school you cheer for such a big deal. No offense to those great non-alumni fans we have (and we need more of you!), but when you've spent a few years in Ames, on campus, as a student, the place just gets into your blood and become part of who you are. 75% of Hawk fans will never understand this kind of feeling.
    Which reminds me of my one repeatable ISU joke: What do Cyclones and Hawks have in common? Neither one went to the University of Iowa...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

My brother is going to law school at Iowa and is a die hard state fan. He went to ISU. Iowa was his best choice for various reasons, but he is absolutely refusing to do anything excess to do with the hawks. He says he's going to wear the same amount of ISU stuff that he wears anywhere else, and will show as much pride no matter how much crap he gets from hawk fans. I think this is just one example of a loyal fan.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 656
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Chizit View Post
    My brother is going to law school at Iowa and is a die hard state fan. He went to ISU. Iowa was his best choice for various reasons, but he is absolutely refusing to do anything excess to do with the hawks. He says he's going to wear the same amount of ISU stuff that he wears anywhere else, and will show as much pride no matter how much crap he gets from hawk fans. I think this is just one example of a loyal fan.
    I've worn Cardinal and Gold in Coralridge and I understand what dedication that takes. A good hour consists of only 2-3 sly remarks while I expect 5-6/hr.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think my passion for Iowa State football has made my overall passion for college football go through the roof. I love the fact that Iowa State hasn't been a traditionally strong football program. I love that we are the underdog in most of our games. I love that we are the team that has the chance to pull upsets. I love that our players, coaches (except Chizdick), and fans never quit. I love that no matter what happened on the previous Saturday Cyclone fans show up and cheer for their team. I love tailgating with good people, standing shoulder to shoulder in Jack Trice Stadium cheering on our team with some of the most loyal and devoted fans in the entire country. I love the fact that even though we haven't had a ton of success on the field the belief that our program will become a consistent winner never dies. I love the fact that our lack of success in the past has no bearing on the possibility of our success in the future. I love Iowa State football.

Go State.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,162
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 112

I soooo agree here. God, I love Iowa State University.