Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

6/17 Capitol City League Thread

I'm getting ready to leave work and go to the last 2 games. Really looking forward to seeing the new talent that we have brought in. I know the CCL isn't great competition but I really think you can get some nice things out of it. I will let you guys know what I think of the new players.

Does anyone know if Barnes is going to be playing?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: 6/17 Capitol City League Thread

I wish I could go

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And I'm thinking that cycofan just made the air, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'll be honest, Cycofan1 sounds much older than what he makes me believe on here.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We should get a CyBookie event on the games tonight and you could tell us the core of the games.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And I'm thinking that cycofan just made the air, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'll be honest, Cycofan1 sounds much older than what he makes me believe on here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I made the short trip from Cumming. I'm the guy in the orange shirt.

I'll take a Jack & Hilton

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Anyone have anything to report from tonight's games?

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I saw the 2nd game, and part of the 3rd.

Nice Crowd tonight -
    Coach McDermott made an appearance.
    Gilstrap is a clone of Rashawn Clark, but with a much better shot and ball handling skills.
    Dendy has a decent outside shot, but needs to finish near the hoop stronger, and be more aggressive on the boards.
    Christopherson surprised me with his strength and his ability to finish and create space.
    Colvin as advertised, just a victim of a bad team. If Barnes shows up Sunday or next Wednesday they could be a nice combo. Colvin was wearing #11, lets hope thats an omen.
    Buckley played well tonight as well.

Those are the only players I saw.

Last edited by goldmember; 06-17-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 100

Yeah, Colvin's team is terrible. Barnes would probably be the best player in the league so they need him to show up to have any chance.

Recruit
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I saw the second game and first half of the third. Barnes didn't show, nor did Oliver. Colvin started off really slow. He seems to be a really good ballhandler. He'd get in the lane but his passes seemed off. He came on towards the end of the half and scored 8 pts I think.

Pomlee didn't look too good. Has really long arms, but just seems a little late to block shots, and offensively he doesn't have much.

I am one that thinks Christopherson starts at the 2. You are right about this not being his type of game, but he really went off in the second half. He is bigger and quicker than Petersen, and probably as good of a shooter.

I was very disappointed in Dendy. Had lots of opportunities to finish around the basket and missed them. Can't really say anything about his defense since he never did much. On one play he ended up on the perimeter guarding Emmenecker. He actually stopped him from getting to the basket and Adam had to kick it out. So maybe he does have the ability to guard a wing.

The star was Gilstrap. He also started off slow, but really showed a lot in the second half. Really athletic and pretty good with the ball. He did not shoot from 3 very well, has a really low shot. But posting up he was great at getting to the rim or hitting fadeaways. He got to the line from 14 times, maybe 11-14. My friend who is a college basketball nut and big Kansas fan really liked his game. He commented he could see him coming in and avering 15 pts for us. I think he needs atleast 30 minutes a game at the 3.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 185

Barnes might have made one game last year, i doubt he will make any this year, since his AAU team is now in Minny. Dont know why he even put his name in. I hate it when there are only 5-6 guys on a team that show up at CCL.

#BEATIOWA

Thumbs Up

My recap:

Gilstrap
    Had an off night shooting the ball. I don't think he hit a three and took at least 6. I liked how competitive he looked out there. With his team getting beat in the 2nd half he looked like he really wanted the ball. Unfortunately it didn't matter as his team got smoked. He is athletic, can turn over both shoulders and hit the fadeaway, has a good handle. I was impressed with his overall game even though he probably only shot 30% from the field

Dendy
    Athletic. Can probably play the 3 if we will need him to. Skilled offensively. Can face the basket and has a nice shot. Didn't love his attitude at times and he never put a hand up on defense. His guy would shoot a jumper in his face and he never even lifted a hand. Didn't like that. I know that is the CCL league but if you are competitive you don't let a guy just shoot over you. Didn't go after the boards either.

Oliver
    Didn't play. Looked injured (if that was him in the yellow). I think he is skinnier than Diante was as a freshmen

Colvin
    LOVE. First and most important, he is going to be a great teammate. When he got taken out of the game he made sure and slap hands with everybody on his bench. While he was on the bench he was the only player that stood and clapped when a player on his team did well. Now to his game. He started slow but once he got going he was solid. He is the most athletic of our PG's and while he isn't big it looks like he has big hands and can palm the ball. Solid looking jumper. Finished with his left hand twice. Love how he drives into opponents bigger than him. He doesn't try and go around them but rather right into them. Love it

Christopherson looked really solid and Pomlee looks bigger than last year. Buckley's shot looked pretty good. Him and Colvin's jumpers look better than DG's.

Best Player I saw tonight. Jimmy Binnie

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 179

I will throw in my 2 cents too. I saw the second half of the second game and most of the third game.

Dendy--Disappointing. Hopefully he was sick or something. He didn't play very hard and he couldn't finish around the rim. He just was not very aggressive at all.

Gilstrap--He looks pretty good. I like how he finished inside with dunks. He seems pretty aggressive offensively. He is a little shorter than I anticipated.

Christopherson--He played for Coca-Cola. He looked much better than he did last year in the CCL. He is quicker than Petey, has a nice shot, and finishes well. I thinik he will get plenty of minutes this year.

Oliver--didn't play because his leg was hurt. I overheard him say that it was finally feeling better, and he didn't want to risk it. Personality wise he reminds me of Mike Taylor. Always laughing and very good natured. He is also very skinny like Taylor was. He has good height for a guard.

Dorr--He works really hard and has a nice shot. I can see why he was a solid player in high school.

Colvin--started off a little slow, but then I think he figured out this is the CCL and there aren't a lot of assists to be had. He dribbles the ball like a yo-yo and he finishes well. I like his athleticism. He should get plenty of minutes this year.

Buckley--did a nice job running the point. I don't think he scored much. I think he seemed about where he was when he finished the season last year.

Pomlee--Last year during the CCL I thought he looked overweight and lazy. This year he looked like he was in much better shape. I didn't see him make any offensive post moves. All he did was rebound and get some put backs. He looked very uncomfortable on the free throw line.

Garrett--I didn't seem him play but he looked a little bit bigger than last year. I swear he is an inch or two taller.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 276

McDermott said something about the flu going through the team tonight from his twitter.

"Reports are that Craig had a good first day in Colorado Springs but is fighting the flu that is making its way thru our team today"

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

The Ames Tribune has set up a website for the Cap City League....

Link

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

I agree with cycloneroyce; I tried to talk with a few of the kids after the games on how things went. Everyone I talked to said it was kinda first game jitters. Some of them said that they were surprise Dorr was there for the last game because he was home sick the last 2 days.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bel79 View Post
    I agree with cycloneroyce; I tried to talk with a few of the kids after the games on how things went. Everyone I talked to said it was kinda first game jitters. Some of them said that they were surprise Dorr was there for the last game because he was home sick the last 2 days.
    I think jitters was the reason that Dendy and Gilstrap didn't make much. Dendy really struggled. His skill set is there though. Hopefully his effort was due to jitters or sickness and isn't something we will see during the season