Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Advice Needed: Birch Trees

So I moved into my current house about a year ago, and really now just starting to get the lawn and trees in order. About a month ago we noticed that one of the 6 Birch trees in the front were pretty much dead (no leaves, branches snap off by bending them slightly), and so we cut it down. After looking at the other trees, it appears that more of them may not be healthy and could be dieing.

I was told (I didn't see it), that the dead tree was completely covered with bugs after we noticed it was dead. After looking online at some pages on tree care, I saw that my some of my trees look similar to those that have been infested with the Bronze Birch Borer. So, my question is: Is there a problem with such insects in Iowa? and should I contact a tree service to do something about it?

I would like to keep these trees and not have to cut them down and put new ones in.

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

Re: Advice Needed: Birch Trees

Quote Originally Posted by CompCy View Post
    So I moved into my current house about a year ago, and really now just starting to get the lawn and trees in order. About a month ago we noticed that one of the 6 Birch trees in the front were pretty much dead (no leaves, branches snap off by bending them slightly), and so we cut it down. After looking at the other trees, it appears that more of them may not be healthy and could be dieing.

I was told (I didn't see it), that the dead tree was completely covered with bugs after we noticed it was dead. After looking online at some pages on tree care, I saw that my some of my trees look similar to those that have been infested with the Bronze Birch Borer. So, my question is: Is there a problem with such insects in Iowa? and should I contact a tree service to do something about it?

I would like to keep these trees and not have to cut them down and put new ones in.
    I live in a 25 year old neighborhood, and many of the river birch trees around here are dying too. They'll look ok one year, and then come out really scabby looking (few leaves) the next. I'd say easily a half dozen have bit the dust in the past 2-3 years.

It could be a combination of things. For starters, birch trees are not long-lived, even in perfect growing conditions. (live fast, die young)

But, perfect growing conditions are not what we have in IA for the river birch.

They suffer from the same thing that pin oaks suffer from in Iowa - chlorosis - which is lack of iron in our alkaline soils.

Yes, we have birch borers too. That could be what is killing your trees.

They also don't do well when it is too hot, too wet, too dry, etc.

Plus the river birch is a nuisance tree, IMO. Dropping little limbs all the time, seed pods and other stuff several times a year.

Bottom-line: Don't spend money to keep these things going. Plant a nice sugar maple (non-hybrid) or some other slow-growing nice looking trees.

Burgermeister!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 425
    Given: 881

Quote Originally Posted by CyPride View Post
    Bottom-line: Don't spend money to keep these things going. Plant a nice sugar maple (non-hybrid) or some other slow-growing nice looking trees.
    But not ash.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 883
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 293
    Given: 631

Quote Originally Posted by CompCy View Post

I live in Omaha and in my 13 year old neighborhood all the river birches are dying. This is not their natural habitat. I have no idea why nurseries sell them around here. I suppose so they die and then they can sell more.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

Excellent call on the bronze birch borer. Yes - it's in Iowa and doing quite well. Take note that it's a pest that moves in AFTER the tree was already stressed. So, the bronze birch borer didn't move in and commandeer a totally healthy trees - other issues started the tree's decline, the borer is just there to help finish it off faster.

I agree - don't bother treating.

Plant something NATIVE. And it should go without saying... of course (!) don't plant ash. And for that matter, most all of our urban areas are positively loaded with maple. When we have a landscape dominated by one, or a few, species, it's nothing but trouble because they can all go down fast & hard when a new pest moves in.

Jeff Iles at ISU has a great list of shade trees for Iowa. You still need to consider the site (set or dry, etc. etc.)

And one more piece of advice ... don't march down to your local box store and buy what's on clearance. Frequently these trees were raised hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away from Iowa and they're not cut out for our winters. Shipping long distances takes it toll. The old adage that you get what you pay for is really true!

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is now.
    ~Chinese Prover
    b

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Hell, I do not see too many spruce or pine trees around Iowa anymore. I saw a ton of them in CR, but now that I've moved to Ames, and now another town closer to Des Moines, I don't think I've seen hardly any. Give me a spruce tree. They are beautiful in the winter when they have a bit of snow on them.

Maybe an elm tree would be good? Some upright arborvitaes might work too.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,057
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 18

My friend who is a landscaper drills holes in her river birches and puts in some kind of iron stick -- which you can purchase anywhere which sells lawn and garden supplies. Evidently these trees don't get enough iron here in Iowa. I don't know if they will bring a seemingly dead tree, but I have seen what a difference it makes with the color of the leaves. They are yellowish before she starts the treatment and green up when the iron gets into its system.

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 779
    Given: 626

Thats sad. I love Birch trees.

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 779
    Given: 626

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocks View Post
    My friend who is a landscaper drills holes in her river birches and puts in some kind of iron stick -- which you can purchase anywhere which sells lawn and garden supplies. Evidently these trees don't get enough iron here in Iowa. I don't know if they will bring a seemingly dead tree, but I have seen what a difference it makes with the color of the leaves. They are yellowish before she starts the treatment and green up when the iron gets into its system.

Wow, thats nuts. I would have never thought of that. The ones around Sioux City seem to grow well, but maybe there is alot of iron in the loess soil here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 33

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocks View Post
    The cheaper way to do that is to just hammer in iron nails.

However the even cheaper solution is to not buy Birches as their life span is not as long as other trees.

'00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 30

ISU Extension publicationS
    Community Tree Planting and Care Guide (doesn't include types of trees)
    http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pub...ons/PM1591.pdf

Iowa's Trees http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pub...ons/IAN304.pdf

Low-growing Trees for Urban and Rural Iowa http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pub...ns/PM1429D.pdf

Jeff Iles e-mail iles@iastate.edu He's horticulture dept. head at ISU.