Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 726,801, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    46,855
    Points
    726,801
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 989
    Given: 524

    The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    I've posted the text of the letter I've drafted to Jamie Pollard regarding the Johnny Orr Project on our Facebook page: Login | Facebook

    I'm also pleased that we now have 50 members in our CF social group, and 71 in our Facebook group! If everyone who loves and appreciates Johnny would join, we could be in the thousands. We would greatly appreciate any suggestions for improvement to this letter. Thanks!



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    Orr Floor



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 87,004, Level: 91
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,284
    Points
    87,004
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 11

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    I was thinking today about this same subject and came up with another idea that may be more fitting. A year ago I read that the University has hopes to rename the "Iowa State Center" due to confusion regarding whether it is truly the 'Center' of Iowa State University. Regardless of these people's reasoning, it led me to think of other possible names for the Iowa State Center. It then occured to me that the Iowa State Center could be renamed the Johnny Orr Events Center at Iowa State University.

    Why should the entire complex be named in honor of Johnny? One reason: Johnny was the man responsible for drawing crowds to this complex in the first place back when not many made the trip to Ames. It seems fitting that the man who put it on the map should be remembered in this fashion. In doing so, the court at Hilton can read "Hilton Coliseum at the Johnny Orr Events Center," or something to this effect.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 190,916, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Dryburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    8,798
    Points
    190,916
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 3

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    I was thinking today about this same subject and came up with another idea that may be more fitting. A year ago I read that the University has hopes to rename the "Iowa State Center" due to confusion regarding whether it is truly the 'Center' of Iowa State University. Regardless of these people's reasoning, it led me to think of other possible names for the Iowa State Center. It then occured to me that the Iowa State Center could be renamed the Johnny Orr Events Center at Iowa State University.

    Why should the entire complex be named in honor of Johnny? One reason: Johnny was the man responsible for drawing crowds to this complex in the first place back when not many made the trip to Ames. It seems fitting that the man who put it on the map should be remembered in this fashion. In doing so, the court at Hilton can read "Hilton Coliseum at the Johnny Orr Events Center," or something to this effect.
    I have a great deal of respect for Johnny Orr, and what he did for Iowa State basketball, but I think it is quite a stretch to say that he put the Iowa State Center on the map. Indeed, he was responsible for bringing the crowds back to Hilton for men's basketball, after a few years of relatively little success under Lynn Nance and Ken Trickey. For the first couple of years Hilton was open, under Maury John, the crowds were huge, even though the team was about the same quality as the teams we have today. In fact the first couple of years Hilton was open, ISU I believe was one of the top 5 in attendance nationally. Back then, Hilton was a real novelty, being one of the first "modern" arenas of its size to be built on a college campus, primarily for campus use. In other words, it was not a true public facility. But prior to Hilton, C.Y. Stephens had made quite a national name for itself with the concerts and events held there "in the middle of a cornfield", and with its design and acoustics. Then several years before Orr arrived, Scheman gained a great reputation as a major conference facility. Orr did a lot for basketball at Iowa State, but to rename the complex for him would be over-doing it quite a bit, IMO. Name the floor/court in his honor, and put a statue of him outside but let's not go crazy here.

    Also, the confusion about the name Iowa State Center has been around since the complex was created. All they would need to do is insert one word........Iowa State Events Center, but then that might create confusion now with Iowa Events Center in DM. The Iowa State Center name goes all the way back to Dr. Hilton, when he first proposed the complex (along with many of the buildings on campus today) to the faculty and staff back in the 50's. I really don't see why the name would be causing so much confusion now. It has been around for 40 years.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 124,832, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,513
    Points
    124,832
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    The Iowa State Center name goes all the way back to Dr. Hilton, when he first proposed the complex (along with many of the buildings on campus today) to the faculty and staff back in the 50's. I really don't see why the name would be causing so much confusion now. It has been around for 40 years.
    Some people have a hard enough time with Elwood Drive vs. University Boulevard. I can't imagine what kind of havoc a name change to the ISC would bring.



  6. #6
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    244
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    Another option is adding the Eustachy Bar & Grill



  7. #7
    Prospect cyclonecountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    I will be joining this group for one Johnny Orr was a great Cyclone coach. I had the opportunity to hear him speak last week, and he was hilarious. I also got his autograph in the process it was really neat to get to talk to him for a couple of minutes.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,334, Level: 79
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,116
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Cycofan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,100
    Points
    65,334
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    I just joined the group.


    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And I'm thinking that cycofan just made the air, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'll be honest, Cycofan1 sounds much older than what he makes me believe on here.

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 18,636, Level: 41
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    TxCycloneFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bastrop TX
    Posts
    1,483
    Points
    18,636
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    Quote Originally Posted by wiscocyclone View Post
    Another option is adding the Eustachy Bar & Grill
    and serve only Natural Light?



    Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 94,438, Level: 95
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,670
    Points
    94,438
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    Quote Originally Posted by LeBron View Post
    Orr Floor
    I've posted this before but I think of all basketball coaches ever at ISU that the naming of the floor is most deserving for Bill Fennelly. He made what was pretty much a dead sport at ISU into one of the more respected programs in the country and has had more success than any BB coach at ISU both mens and womens. When you take a program that on a good day had 50 fans in the stands to where we now consistently in the top 5 for attendance in the country and can put over 12k in the seats on a given night sometimes. To me Bill is much more deserving of having the floor named after him than Johnny. I still want us to honor coach Orr but naming the road near Hilton or a statue is probably a little more fitting.


    Go Cubs Go!

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 19,765, Level: 42
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    ISU_REV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    559
    Points
    19,765
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    Quote Originally Posted by TxCycloneFan View Post
    and serve only Natural Light?

    With a sign on the door that reads: "NO CAMERAS ALLOWED."



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 165,767, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,630
    Points
    165,767
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    What about something to remember the track & field team that was killed in a plane crash on the way back from NCAA's in the 1980's. I still think it is a tradegdy that not more has been done to remember them. We have a stadium named after one athlete that died 90 years ago while representing Iowa State, meanwhile we have a whole team that died 20 years ago and no body seems to remember them.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 45,201, Level: 65
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cy Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,517
    Points
    45,201
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 37

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    What about something to remember the track & field team that was killed in a plane crash on the way back from NCAA's in the 1980's. I still think it is a tradegdy that not more has been done to remember them. We have a stadium named after one athlete that died 90 years ago while representing Iowa State, meanwhile we have a whole team that died 20 years ago and no body seems to remember them.
    Very different, but I think maybe something will come up about this once the Gateway Athletics Complex ever comes about.


    Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 726,801, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    46,855
    Points
    726,801
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 989
    Given: 524

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I've posted this before but I think of all basketball coaches ever at ISU that the naming of the floor is most deserving for Bill Fennelly. He made what was pretty much a dead sport at ISU into one of the more respected programs in the country and has had more success than any BB coach at ISU both mens and womens. When you take a program that on a good day had 50 fans in the stands to where we now consistently in the top 5 for attendance in the country and can put over 12k in the seats on a given night sometimes. To me Bill is much more deserving of having the floor named after him than Johnny. I still want us to honor coach Orr but naming the road near Hilton or a statue is probably a little more fitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    What about something to remember the track & field team that was killed in a plane crash on the way back from NCAA's in the 1980's. I still think it is a tradegdy that not more has been done to remember them. We have a stadium named after one athlete that died 90 years ago while representing Iowa State, meanwhile we have a whole team that died 20 years ago and no body seems to remember them.
    These are reasons that make me personally favor the statue idea. There would be plenty of space to honor deserving people, and would be cool places to visit before or after a game.



  15. #15
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,202, Level: 21
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    LetsPlay2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    269
    Points
    5,202
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: The Johnny Orr Project: first official letter to Jamie Pollard

    Quote Originally Posted by TxCycloneFan View Post
    and serve only Natural Light?

    You know there would be attractive females there because Eustachy knew what campus to go to find them.


    Go Cubs Go!
    Lets Play Two-Ernie Banks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM