Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

My thoughts on the Cubs

I had this all typed up and ready last night, but I hit some random button towards the bottom of the keyboard and it got deleted; I have no idea what key I hit. Anyway...this might be KMAC_ATTACK long, so bear with me.

The general consensus among the media after the Cubs got swept out of the playoffs last year was that the Cubs were handcuffed by having a line-up composed primarily of right handers, and that the Dodgers right-handed pitchers took advantage of it. What none of the newspapers never pointed to as reason for the collapse was Dempster walking 7 guys in game 1, or the everyone on the infield commiting an error in game 2; those 2 factors alone (in my mind) played a much bigger part in the Cubs getting swept than having a primarily right-handed line-up. It also didn't help that other than DeRosa, that line-up from top to bottom, failed to even hit .200 over the 3 games. I found it hard to believe that even if the Cubs had a balanced line-up that it would have made much of a difference.

Apparently Lou and the rest of the front office heard the crying and ******** from the Chicago papers and believed them. The "we have to get more left handed hitting" was heard all over Cubdom throughout the winter. Jim Hendry seemed to understand that the team didn't need much tweaking, even going as far as saying so during the winter meetings last December.

What didn't make (and still doesn't) any sense was what happened next. Hendry traded the most versatile player on the team (DeRosa) to the Indians for a bucket of baseballs and some sunflower seeds. The explanation given publicly was that this was done to save money; DeRosa was owed 5.5 million this year. On the face of it, that made sense; maybe Hendry was freeing up cash to trade for, and then sign Jake Peavy; maybe Raul Ibanez. Maybe the oft-rumored Brian Roberts deal was finally going to happen.

Jason Marquis was let go, again, to free up some payroll. Marquis had been a lightning rod his entire time in Chicago, but most fans were happy to see him and his post All-Star Break disappearing act leave town.

Then things started to get weird. Hendry wasn't going to give Kerry Wood a multi-year deal, and was thusly afraid to offer him arbitration, fearing that Kerry might accept the offer. So Kerry was let go, and he joined DeRosa in Cleveland, signing for 2 years/20 million. While being an odd move, the thought was that Marmol was more than ready to move into the closers role, with the question now being who would be the set-up man?

Aaron Miles was signed to a 2-year, 4.7 million dollar deal as DeRosa replacement. This caused more than a few eyebrows to raise, as we had been told that cutting DeRosa loose was a cost-cutting move; but if you look at it, the Cubs will only end up saving themselves 800K by the time Miles' contract expires. For a big-market, big revenue team like the Cubs, this is pocket change. Again, an odd move.

Then came the signing that had been rumored for a long time, the Cubs signed Bradley to a 3 year deal for 30 million dollars. We all know the baggage that Bradley brought with him, so that isn't worth re-hashing here. He finished 3rd in the AL MVP voting in 2008, and was among the AL's offensive leaders. The problem was that he spent a lot of time on the DL, and this was the worry before the ink was dry on the contract.

You also had the signing of Kevin Gregg to a 3-year deal, which was seen as a wash at the time, and has turned out to be a wash.

We've all seen what has happened this year. Bradley began missing games before the ivy started to turn green, at one point missing 16 days in a row in April - the Cubs didn't put him on the DL. He had a few pinch-hit appearances, but in the event of getting on base was immediately replaced by the late Joey Gathright. This had the effect of the leaving the Cubs with a 23-man roster; with Gathright being worthless in anything other than a pinch-running/late inning defensive replacement role, and Bradley not being able to play.

Ramirez dislocated his shoulder in May and still isn't back, and probably won't be back until after the break.

The common thread in both of those instances is that DeRosa could have filled in for Bradley when he was hurt, and could be playing at 3rd base now. Instead, we're forced to watch Fontenot play 3rd base, which has the effect of forcing Miles into the starting line-up, and being the replacment for Ramirez's bat. Not exactly a recipe for success.

That being said, nobody could have seen this team-wide ineptitude coming. Then again, I wonder how the Cardinals would be if Pujols were ever on the DL for an extended period; I'm guessing that they would struggle offensively.

I don't really have much else to add. I'm sorry that this was so long, and anyone who wants to rip me for writing this up, feel free to do so.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,463
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 109

Re: My thoughts on the Cubs

We did need some left-handed bats, but I agree that it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. Good write-up. DeRosa should not have been let go.... and Gregg is a disaster. Those were 2 bad offseason moves.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    We did need some left-handed bats, but I agree that it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. Good write-up. DeRosa should not have been let go.... and Gregg is a disaster. Those were 2 bad offseason moves.
    I don't think Gregg has been a disaster; he hasn't gotten enough work to say either way. Brad Lidge has 5 blown saves, including 2 on consecutive days in LA last weekend.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 288

Cubs pitching has been fine.

Soriano, Soto, Lee, and Bradley have all been huge disappointments at the plate. Lots of blame can be spread around.

The only offseason move I couldnt stand was giving up DeRosa. He plays multiple positions well, hits the ball, and is a good club house guy. Being missed greatly.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,463
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    I don't think Gregg has been a disaster; he hasn't gotten enough work to say either way. Brad Lidge has 5 blown saves, including 2 on consecutive days in LA last weekend.
    I'm not sure of the stats on Gregg, but if I were to choose between him and Gary Dell'abate it would be closer than you think.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

DeRosa is gone. Let it go. Yes he'd help the team, but the Cubs offensive problems go much deeper than one guy.

I thought the focus on getting lefthanded hitting came from Lou. He's always been obsessed with the right/lefty matchups. In the offseason, he and Lou decided to get the best lefties they could find instead of the best hitters they could find. As a result they added Miles and Bradley, and promoted Hill (bonus, all switchitters). Hill is servicable as a backup catcher, but Miles and Bradley have been major disappointments.

The Cubs are regularly batting five (six if you count the pitcher) guys with BA's below .250, and no one is picking up the slack. Only Theriot, Lee, and Kosuke are near expectations offensively, but Theriot has little power, Lee's power is declining, and Kosuke looks like he's in the same offensive nosedive he was in last year. Soriano has always been hot and cold, but he's way overdue for a hotstreak. Miles either needs to be cut or given several weeks off to rest his shoulder. Bradley is hitting better recently, but he's got a long way to go. Soto looks like a one-year wonder. Fontenot apparently has no business batting against lefties.

I don't know how to fix any of it unless the big bats start hitting. Make Blanco the everyday 2B; he won't hit much better than Miles, but at least he doesn't have a gimpy shoulder. Get Freel off the DL and have him platoon with Fontenot at 3B. Let Kosuke and Johnson platoon in CF. Give Soriano time on the DL to rest his knee, and use Hoffpauier and Fox as a platoon in LF. Give Bradley time off and play Kosuke and Johnson in the OF together.

The pitching is fine. Starters are great, and the bullpen is rounding into shape. Heilmann was a bad signing, but others are rising to take his projected spot. Gregg is acceptable, and hasn't had enough save opportunities to evaluate him.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 15

One person is not going to fix this offense. While trading for a bat won't hurt its not going to fix everything. We need guys with track records like Soto, Bradley and Soriano to start hitting.

Prospect
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Huge money being paid to guys who aren't producing anywhere close to what a guy with their salary should be.....

Soriano....$17 million a year for a streak hitter who is declining rapidly....and they owe him that for another 5 years after this one.

Fukudome...$12 million a year for a guy who belongs in triple-A ball.....his second-half-of-the-season nosedive has already started.

Bradley....$10 million a year for a guy who can't stay with any team for more than a year, and has a long history of injuries.

Quite frankly, while the Cubs have a big $$$$ line-up, they really don't have a very good line-up. I'm not real impressed with what Hendry has done over the last few off-seasons.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Its getting close to the point where you can just simply say that the cubs are done.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by 06Panther View Post
    Its getting close to the point where you can just simply say that the cubs are done.
    How so? They are only 3.5 games back. I bet you were one of the people that thought the Cubs were done in 2007 when they were 9 games below .500.

Rookie
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Hey its the Cubs your talking about u should know already know they suck!

Completely
    Useless
    Before
    September

Anyway they will always have 1908 to look back on.

Cyclone State Now & Forever

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 06Panther View Post
    Hardly, although I'm sure that there a Cub fans that feel that way. It was around this time in 2007 when they started making their move; a 2 out grand slam by DeRosa against the Braves was the big hit the Cubs needed at the time, and it got them rolling all the way to the division title. That came the day after Lou got tossed for kicking dirt on the 3rd base umpire, and 2 days after Zambrano punched out Michael Barrett.

With the Cubs only being 3.5 back in the loss despite the way they've played, there are still reasons to be optimistic. You have to assume that at some point the hitting will pick up or at least start to approach their averages; that everyone seems to be clueless at the same time is mind boggling. One or two guys in a slump at the same isn't unheard of for any team, but for an entire line-up of proven performers to be mired in an extended slump is something that nobody could have predicted.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDog View Post
    Hey its the Cubs your talking about u should know already know they suck!

Completely
    Useless
    Before
    September

Anyway they will always have 1908 to look back on.
    But we won't have a 7 game game lead with 17 to play to look back, or a 3.5 game lead with a week to go either. Whatever will we do. Way to be original.

Rookie
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    But we won't have a 7 game game lead with 17 to play to look back, or a 3.5 game lead with a week to go either. Whatever will we do. Way to be original.

Hey that means we only got 98 more years to choke and we tie u.

Cyclone State Now & Forever