Matt Perrault made me realize a pet peeve! (long)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Matt Perrault made me realize a pet peeve! (long)

My pet peeve are people who are fans of a team, but actually know little about the sport and resort to hardcore homer-isim.

Now, this situation gets even MORE annoying when someone who gets paid to talk about sports does this; it's actually inexcusable.

Before I divulge I will say that I had enjoyed listening to Matt and Miller. I stopped listening to KXNO after being tired of Marty, and Matt and Miller brought me back to the station. Both guys come across as being analytical and also talking about what's going on in sports today.

I have to say when I drove home this afternoon, I wanted to rip the radio out of the dash. This happened when they decided to talk baseball (which was 100% Red Sox talk).

Matt starting off by bragging how the Sox are now 8-0 against the Yankees. I didn't mind this as much because I am not a Yankees fan.

Matt then goes on to say that the Red Sox are going to be one of the top teams in baseball for the next 5 years. I'm still "iffy" on that but it isn't completey out of the question as the Red Sox have done a good job building their own talent and getting the pieces they need via free agency and trades. At the same time, 5 years is a good chunk of time and you just never know what can happen. I mean Theo Epstien started with San Diego and they suck (not his fault). Maybe he'd want to go back and take on a new challenge. Guys do this all the time. Anyhow, if Matt wants to guarentee they will be a top 5 team for the next 5 years then fine. We won't know until we know.

Then Matt brings up Jason Bay and he didn't realize how good he was prior to coming to the Red Sox. Are you kidding me??? Jason Bay was ROY in 2004 and he's a 2 time All-Star. Unbelieveable. If you're a baseball fan, how do you NOT hear about one of the up and coming stars of the game? Maybe I follow baseball too closely, but I was stunned by those comments. Miller echos Matt, but I'll give him a break as he isn't really a big baseball fan.

Then they talked about Big Papi and Lowell. He said neither really make that much. That Big Papi made like $8 mil and Lowell made like $9 mil. UGH, think again. Big Papi is making $13 mil this year and Lowell is making $12.5 mil. You think these guys are going to win 2 WS, do everything they did for the team and NOT get paid?? I will say that perhaps Papi could've taken more money via free agency after 2006, but there's a difference between $17 mil combined and $25.5 mil combined. Again, not really doing your homework on your own team.

Then Miller asks what would've happened in Boston if Manny got caught there and how Francona would handle it. Then, somehow they got to the point where Matt made a comment about how Francona just can't do anything wrong. Miller dismissed it and Matt said Francona could do nothing for 15 years and still be the manager of the Red Sox since he has 2 rings. Miller then says how Torre had 4 rings with the Yankees but he eventually got run out which is a good point.... I mean seriously Matt. 15 years is a long *** time, especially in the baseball world. If Boston lost a couple ALCS' in a row to New York, people would want him out.

Then the discussion got kind of crazy. I don't know if Matt was sniffing something between commercial breaks or what. Guess who he said was a future HOF player??? Hold up.... Wait for it.... Wait for it... BOOM! Jason Varitek. I kid you not. He says that Varitek is a HOF because he won 2 rings and has caught the most no hitters in the history. This is a guy who has been to 3 All Star games (should really be 2 as he had no business going last year), has won 1 Gold Glove, and 1 Silver Slugger. His career BA is .262. He has 171 career HR. There are 13 catchers in the HOF. Piazza and Pudge will go for sure as well. Is Matt really going to say that Varitek is the 16th best catcher in the history of the game? Don't get me wrong in that Varitek was a good player and an even better teammate, but it isn't enough to get you in the HOF. I never thought of him as one of the best catchers in the game while he was playing.

All of this is just straight up annoying. Typically I can deal with crap like this with the casual fan, but it is bothersome in this case. The guy gets paid to talk about sports. Maybe it's a crap salary, I don't know, but nonetheless, stuff like this is his job.

IMO, Matt has lost all credibility and is just a big kool-aid drinker. He probably will end up rooting for the Hawks in Football and Cyclones in Basketball. I wish I never listened to the show today, but I am utterly dissapointed and very bored on this Friday night.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Re: Matt Perrault made me realize a pet peeve! (long)

Matt's love for Boston's teams is rather sickening

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 751

I have a difficult time with Matt. I don't remember the topic but he had an emphatic opinion about a few things last week and I could tell he was not informed. In fact, it seemed to me that he was flat out wrong. It wasn't the Boston stuff.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I can give him a pass on not knowing much about Bay when he was a Pirate; I'm a Cub fan and I don't know a lot about AL players, so I can see how a Red Sox fan wouldn't know a lot about NL players. Anyway, maybe he meant it as "I knew he was good, but I didn't know he was this good."

The difference between 17mil and 25.5mil isn't that much for the Red Sox who can easily outspend just about anyone but the Yankees.

He sounds like a homer talking about Francona. If the Red Sox miss the playoffs two years straight, he'll be run out of town.

Varitek to the HOF is crazy. Catching no hitters is a HOF qualification? Seriously? He's a good player, and Red Sox and retire his number if they want, but he's not getting in the HOF. Of course he plays for Boston, so who knows what the media will do for him.

Perrault seems to enjoy antagonizing fans. He loved to bait Husker fans in Omaha, and he'll probably love baiting Hawk fans in Des Moines. No way he turns into a Cyclone basketball fan. He still runs the Creighton Rivals site, and he's a deep Creighton fan. He'll probably find a way to talk about Creighton a lot during basketball season, just like he finds a way to talk about the Red Sox during baseball season.

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,898
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 67

The guy does get all homery when Boston sports come up. He still believes that the Celtics are the best team in the NBA and that their window isn't closing. And the Patriots are going to win the Super Bowl this year (which could happen, but I doubt it).

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 457

Matt loves the Red Sox. It's just like us and the Cyclones. Take Seneca Wallace for example. We think he is one of the best ever. Other fans from other teams think he is o.k. (maybe Texas Tech fans thing different). If you look back on it what did Seneca really do? Make a run for the Heisman and then melted down after that OU game.
    I don't have a problem with Homerism except Hawk fans who think they are going to make a National title run every year when they have no shot at the top prize.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Matt loves the Red Sox. It's just like us and the Cyclones. Take Seneca Wallace for example. We think he is one of the best ever. Other fans from other teams think he is o.k. (maybe Texas Tech fans thing different). If you look back on it what did Seneca really do? Make a run for the Heisman and then melted down after that OU game.
    I don't have a problem with Homerism except Hawk fans who think they are going to make a National title run every year when they have no shot at the top prize.
    But the same extreme 'homerism' shown by our conference rivals in Lincoln is A OK......?

Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by linkshero View Post
    But the same extreme 'homerism' shown by our conference rivals in Lincoln is A OK......?
    Last I checked we don't all have sports talk shows where 98% of his listeners don't care about

a) The Red Sox
    b) The Patriots
    c) The Celtics
    d) Anything in Boston or on the east coast
    e) Anything Nebraska/Creighton involved.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 457

They at least win national titles and actually play for them in football. The hawks don't and never have.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

This was his downfall on BS590 in Omaha...people largely got tired of listening to him talk Boston.

We jokingly called it Boston Sports 590.

Among other things that I won't bring up. They'll reveal themselves in time.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by egami View Post
    This was his downfall on BS590 in Omaha...people largely got tired of listening to him talk Boston.

I don't mind that he's a fan. What I do mind is he's getting paid to talk sports, but he doesn't even research his own team.

What a good sports person does is talk about the teams relevant to that market. Sure there are Boston and Yankees fans in Des Moines as they are everywhere. But they are not the fan teams. The main teams (in no particular order) are the Cubs, Royals, Twins, Cardinals, White Sox, Brewers, then everyone else (Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, etc).

If you talked about each team for about 5-10 minutes that fills about 1/3 of their show...

If someone works in sports just to have an excuse to talk about their favorite team, then they don't understand the business. I would really only expect Boston talk if it's relevant to a big national news story (controversy, playoffs, etc), or if they're playing one of teams the local market cares about.

I will say that when the NCAA Basketball season is in full swing, if the Cyclones are doing well, and they're spending most of their time breaking down Creighton-Drake, I will get ****** as I'd expect both to be pretty mediocre next year....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 615

Quote Originally Posted by egami View Post

+1

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    I don't mind that he's a fan. What I do mind is he's getting paid to talk sports, but he doesn't even research his own team.

What a good sports person does is talk about the teams relevant to that market. Sure there are Boston and Yankees fans in Des Moines as they are everywhere. But they are not the fan teams. The main teams (in no particular order) are the Cubs, Royals, Twins, Cardinals, White Sox, Brewers, then everyone else (Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, etc).

If you talked about each team for about 5-10 minutes that fills about 1/3 of their show...

If someone works in sports just to have an excuse to talk about their favorite team, then they don't understand the business. I would really only expect Boston talk if it's relevant to a big national news story (controversy, playoffs, etc), or if they're playing one of teams the local market cares about.

I will say that when the NCAA Basketball season is in full swing, if the Cyclones are doing well, and they're spending most of their time breaking down Creighton-Drake, I will get ****** as I'd expect both to be pretty mediocre next year....
    You're preaching to the choir...trust me. :)

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

Jason Bay was probably one of the least known stars of the game when he was with the Pirates. Sort of like Adrian Gonzalez on the Padres right now who might be just as deadly of a hitter as Albert Pujols.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Jason Bay was probably one of the least known stars of the game when he was with the Pirates. Sort of like Adrian Gonzalez on the Padres right now who might be just as deadly of a hitter as Albert Pujols.
    If people claim to be baseball fans but do not know who Jason Bay was prior to Boston, or Adrian Gonzalez now, then I question whether or not they are baseball fans.

Bay was ROY! Adrian Gonzalez is hitting 30-35 HRs a year playing in a pitcher's ball park! How do you NOT know who these guys are???