Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

Re: One Year Later after the Floods

Time to quit waiting for somebody to help you and start helping yourself.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 256

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    AMEN!

I still hear it every day down here. People are still looking for a handout due to numerous different hurricanes.

It only took 3 afternoons of work to help a neighbor fix his fence. I was more than happy to help - it was right after the hurricane and we didn't have power, so there wasn't much else to do anyway.
    Almost a full year later the guy next door to him still comes out and complains that the government hasn't come by to put up a new fence

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Iowa City flooding photos: Then and now | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register
    Some neat comparison pictures in this article. I find it funny that 1 year later the road construction sign is still in the exact same place. Second picture.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    AMEN!

I still hear it every day down here. People are still looking for a handout due to numerous different hurricanes.

It only took 3 afternoons of work to help a neighbor fix his fence. I was more than happy to help - it was right after the hurricane and we didn't have power, so there wasn't much else to do anyway.
    Almost a full year later the guy next door to him still comes out and complains that the government hasn't come by to put up a new fence
    Good job with the fence ... I got a guy who had 9 feet of water in his house for 4 days. He makes $30k a year, has a mortgage on a worthless house that's nothing but moldy sticks and the city is still trying to decide whether to buy him out or not.

I'm in CR and I've been very unimpressed with the city/state support. The PEOPLE have been great - lots of volunteers and donations, the governing bodies have been ridiculous. 365 days since the flood and people still don't know if their house is to be bulldozed or not? Or what they're getting ouit of it? This is one of the poorest parts of town, where a house is about all people can claim for equity. embarrassing. We have a mayor that sleeps through meetings (literally) a govenor that only has shown his face when national dignitaries are in town and a city that has been terribly slow about distributing funds.

I'm all for people helping themselves ... but I have nothing but sympathy after witnessing this mess of human confusion.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Happy you thought better of that Jon.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    Good job with the fence ... I got a guy who had 9 feet of water in his house for 4 days. He makes $30k a year, has a mortgage on a worthless house that's nothing but moldy sticks and the city is still trying to decide whether to buy him out or not.

I'm in CR and I've been very unimpressed with the city/state support. The PEOPLE have been great - lots of volunteers and donations, the governing bodies have been ridiculous. 365 days since the flood and people still don't know if their house is to be bulldozed or not? Or what they're getting ouit of it? This is one of the poorest parts of town, where a house is about all people can claim for equity. embarrassing. We have a mayor that sleeps through meetings (literally) a govenor that only has shown his face when national dignitaries are in town and a city that has been terribly slow about distributing funds.

I'm all for people helping themselves ... but I have nothing but sympathy after witnessing this mess of human confusion.

I'm not saying people aren't deserved of government aid, but at some point these folks need to realize that the aid they request is not going to come in a timely fashion. At this point, people need to look at alternatives. Things look bleak, but individuals do have the power to make their own kind of music.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post

This. It's depressing driving down parts of Czech Village or Time Check that look exactly like they did a year ago after the waters receded. I know rebuilding is going to be a slow process, but this is ridiculous.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 23

You need to realize theres more to the situation then your smart *** knows. My uncle is a landlord in Cedar Rapids with 10 properties flooded out. How the hell is he supposed to come up with money to fix up 10 properties, that carry a pricetag of $50-70k per property to fix back up. Get your facts straight before you assume everyone in the area are a bunch of lazy people wanting government handouts. It's taken him 3-4 months to even apply for government assistance and they are still hesitant to give any out to almost anyone. The flood has ruined some people's lives while some people think it was no big deal.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not saying people aren't deserved of government aid, but at some point these folks need to realize that the aid they request is not going to come in a timely fashion. At this point, people need to look at alternatives. Things look bleak, but individuals do have the power to make their own kind of music.
    wonder what kind of tune that would be?

Ok ... family barely above the poverty line, only asset is thier house. It is wiped out.

The are still making mortgage payments. Options:

A) take bankruptcy: Unable to secure credit for a new home because of the credit score knockout blow
    1) Also all available rentals are pretty well taken in CR - most will probably pay more the rent than they did to own their home.

B) Sell their homes - most are selling for $1,000 - $2000 right now.

C) Sit and Wait for a possible buyout buy the city. Struggle to maintain rent costs and the mortgage on the ****-worthless house

Just to make everybody feel better the city sent out "lawn mowing" notices of fines on flood victims last week. Cut your grass or else!

It was embarrassingly pointed out that the city hadn't mowed many of the flooded areas IT owns. Which was blamed on "hard times" "not enough $". touche-bags

Last edited by clones_jer; 06-11-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 91

It's not just individuals waiting for money, its the actual city. How exactly do you suppose they should "help themselves" after their lives washed away last year? Get a better job? I'm sure that there are tons of great paying jobs in CR with this booming economy of ours. It's not just houses that are left in the same condition as a year ago, there are still tens of businesses downtown that look the exact same as they did last year around this time.

IMO a real ignorant comment on your part. Did you do anything to help out last year? Fill sandbags? Help someone pack up their lives to evacuate? Or were you someone who was unaffected so you just sat and watched on CNN?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Cybyassociation View Post
    IMO a real ignorant comment on your part. Did you do anything to help out last year? Fill sandbags? Help someone pack up their lives to evacuate? Or were you someone who was unaffected so you just sat and watched on CNN?
    +1 (,000,000,000,000)

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 82

How about instead of sitting around and blaming the state and local authorities for this we do something that will actually make a difference: blame Bush! Hey, it worked on the Gulf coast...

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,623
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 165

Sandbagging definitely sucked, glad I haven't had to do any of that yet this summer. Last summer just sucked all around, tornados and floods galore...people need to realize the floods affected many people out there in many different ways and to just lump everyone into a "there lazy and need to fix stuff theirselves" or "they should get everything handed to them" group is very unfair. There are many different situations out there we can all just hope the aid comes more quickly to the people who truly need it and if you are in places like CF, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, etc. Maybe lend a hand where you see a chance.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 75

I live in Cedar Rapids. There are some people who were affected that are waiting for a handout, but the overwhelming majority have been fighting and scrapping. The disappointing part to me is the city government and its near total reliance on state and federal government. It is time for the city to look at generating additional revenue. For example, investors have been dying to put riverboats on the Cedar River for years. At the time, the tax revenue would have funded a complete refurbish of the downtown, fully funded the library and science center, and had money left over. Maybe now the money could be used for flood recovery and flood-proofing the city. But no, all our pathetic city government does is sit and ***** that the Feds aren't giving us enough cash. It is time to start thinking outside the box and to stop waiting for handouts.