Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Snow in ND in June!?!?!?!?

Cold...wet June 6th for ND (includes snowfall/rainfall maps)

Cold...wet June 6th for ND (includes snowfall/rainfall maps)

Here is a table with some snowfall amounts across Western and Central North Dakota. This will be updated when more data is available.
    WILLISTON WSO 0.0
    BEULAH 1.0
    BOWMAN 0.5
    BISMARCK 5NNW T
    CARSON 1.0
    DUNN CENTER T
    FLASHER T
    GLEN ULLIN 1.5
    HEBRON 3.0
    KILLDEER 0.0
    LINTON 0.0
    NEW SALEM 1.2
    MINOT NORTH HILL 0.0
    TAYLOR 2.0
    UNDERWOOD 0.0
    WILTON T
    Long range forecasts (out to 8-14 days) continue to show colder and wetter than normal for a good chunk of the country.

Could someone with a weather background explain what in the h e double hockey sticks is going on?

Link to long range forecasts:

National Weather Service Climate

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Snow in ND in June!?!?!?!?

I did not start this thread with the intentions of starting a global warming debate, if I did, I would've put this in the political forum. All i'm asking is for someone with a weather background to explain why it's been unusually cold.

Last 2 winters have been colder and snowier than normal, last summer was colder and wetter than normal and this summer is starting off the same way......

Last edited by Angie; 06-08-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Edited quote, since it had to do with global warming

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 2,452

Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    I did not start this thread with the intentions of starting a global warming debate, if I did, I would've put this in the political forum. All i'm asking is for someone with a weather background to explain why it's been unusually cold.

Last 2 winters have been colder and snowier than normal, last summer was colder and wetter than normal and this summer is starting off the same way......
    As Garn said - there's no need for this to be about global warming. The two threads that referenced it have been deleted. Please do not post any further ones in the general forums - if you would like to make that discussion, please start a thread in the Political-Religion-Global Warming forum. Thank you.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,275
    Given: 1,112

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    As Garn said - there's no need for this to be about global warming. The two threads that referenced it have been deleted. Please do not post any further ones in the general forums - if you would like to make that discussion, please start a thread in the Political-Religion-Global Warming forum. Thank you.
    Can we ask if Jamie Pollard caused it, or if it was a storm that McDermott tried to recruit that went to North Dakota instead?

Sorry, case of the Mondays here.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,621
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 27

well, if ignoring the possibility makes you feel better...Its sort of like saying "what started this forest fire" but refuse to entertain the idea that it was lightening.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 2,452

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    well, if ignoring the possibility makes you feel better...Its sort of like saying "what started this forest fire" but refuse to entertain the idea that it was lightening.
    It's not a question - see above post. All global warming posts are to go into the Political-Religion-Global Warming forum. Thank you.

M 7/09

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It is an abnormal weather pattern issue caused by the Jet Stream being pushed way to far South for June. Normally the Jet stream would be in Southern Canada not over the Iowa/Misery border.

#1 We have big High Parked over Greenland that wont move. This is the 'block'. SInce weather is supposed to transition from West to East, this presents a problem.

#2 We have a Warm and Dry High parked over the NW territories of Canada. This is Block #2. Again in the wrong spot and it cant move East because of #1

#3 the Jet Stream is forced to dive South around the said High in NW Canada because of #1. This is driving Arctic Air southward into our Northern Tier of the continental US (Montana, ND, Northern Minni, and NOrthern Wisconsin. Even Northern New England has caught a few of these arctic blasts in the past 2 weeks.

#4 This classic clash of the air masses is what gave us the severe weather yesterday (It was over 20 degrees cooler in Mason City than Waterloo on Sunday)

If you lived in ALaska and NW Canada, you would be loving this pattern...

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thank you, matmann. Any indication of this pattern changing any time soon, or is the NWS dead on with their predication of colder than normal over the next couple of weeks?

Is this the same kind of pattern that was in place last summer as well? As I recall, last summer was cooler and wetter than normal as well.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yet another reason to avoid living in the Dakotas. South Dakota had to deface a mountain to get people to visit their state.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

I LOVE the cooler temps. Anything above about 75 is too darn hot. Give me 70-75 any day of the year and I'm feeling good :)

PERFECT windows open weather as far as I'm concerned.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    Yet another reason to avoid living in the Dakotas. South Dakota had to deface a mountain to get people to visit their state.
    Nice!

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thank you, matmann. Any indication of this pattern changing any time soon, or is the NWS dead on with their predication of colder than normal over the next couple of weeks?

Is this the same kind of pattern that was in place last summer as well? As I recall, last summer was cooler and wetter than normal as well.
    There aren't any consistent signs that this pattern is going to change in the next week. After a week, most models are just a guess, but the EURO is hinting at one....

I looked at the 8-10 Euro (ECMWF) model which has been the best long range model lately and it keeps wildly flipping back and forth (with every 6 hour run) between 70s and rainy and the 90s and dry. This typically means a pattern change is coming a couple of days later. I would bet on a pattern change in 2 weeks or so. Since it will be the end of June, that would be a pattern change to hot and humid.

There is a school of long range forecasting that deals with 'Analogs'. This is on my list of stuff to read up on, but I know they like 1992, 1976, 2003, and 2007 as the best guesses for the next couple of months. These would be cooler and wet summer months. I believe these are La Nina winters to Neutral Summers. If we develop through Neutral to an El Nino then we will definitely have a change.

One thing to keep in mind is that weather has kind of a 'memory'. Once you get into a cool and wet pattern, you have cool and wet soil. This tends to moderate (to a certain extent) brief warm ups. The same concept exists in winter once you have an estabilished snowpack.