Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 276

Another golf question

Well I have my clubs ordered and was looking at some public courses and came across a few country clubs. I have no intention on ever joining a country club but can someone explain why you would want to join one of these clubs? I was talking to a friend that is a member and here are the estimates he gave me.

2,500 one-time join fee
    2,000 yearly member dues
    something like $30 a month that you have to spend in food/drinks

So let's say that you have 8 months out of the year that you can play. Not including the one time fee that's $250 month. So if a round of golf costs $50 you would have to golf at least 5 times a month just to break even.

Am I missing something?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 243

Re: Another golf question

People also pay for the social aspect.

You have to play a lot to 'pay' for your membership golfing wise. Plus you are kinda stuck playing at the same course.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Networking, keeping up with the joneses. If I could afford it DMGCC would be nice, I love both courses there. For now, I just have to suck up to get a round in every once in awhile.

“There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

Pro
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 31

Ha...$2500? Try Glen Oaks or Des Moines Golf, their initiation fees are $25,000, $400/month dues and a minimum food/bev.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,007
    Given: 536

Public course memberships are getting to be a really good value. There's no way in hell I would pay a dime just to call myself a country club member.

Pro
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Public course memberships are getting to be a really good value. There's no way in hell I would pay a dime just to call myself a country club member.
    I bet if you were a member at one you wouldn't say that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,007
    Given: 536

Quote Originally Posted by ZJohnson View Post
    I bet if you were a member at one you wouldn't say that.
    I don't suppose, but I could be, and I'm not. Therefore, proof of my assertion that I wouldn't pay to do so.

Addict
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,347
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Depending on how much you golf, it CAN be a good deal at some of the smaller courses.

I'm a member at Indianola Country Club, and it's much more reasonable.

500 dollar initiation (but they run specials all the time), and around 130/month for a family. No food minimum. You can bring your own cart, or rent a space in the cart shed for 250/year. Or you can rent a seat on a club cart for a few hundred bucks a year (I don't remember how much for sure).

Comes out to less than a pass to the munis in DSM, if you factor in weekends and cart fees.

Plus, have fun getting out at Blank or Waveland on a nice weekend day in the summer. I can almost always just walk onto the course and get 9 or 18 in in 1.5 and 3 hours respectively, even when it's very busy.

There's a much different mentality at a country club, IMO. The members have a vested interest in not trashing the course, and not being rude to one another.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, you’re gonna hate what comes out of it. But when it’s good, it’s the best." - woot.com

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 829
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 35

I joined elmcrest in CR last year and for me it was a great decision. In CR after work playing golf is nearly impossible because of leagues, plus it takes 3 hours to play 9 holes. I can walk on at the club any night of the week and walk 9 holes in 60-90 min. I play 3-4 times a week, so having the ability to play without crowds on a beautiful course is money well spent. Also we can play the Dubuque CC, Sunnyside (Waterloo) and one of the Davenport CC's for free too - so we can get some variety if needed.

They also do a great job of getting you involved with tourneys throughout the year and you meet a lot of great people in your community.

I will also note we don't have any kids and they gave us a great deal on monthly rates in the jr. Program for the next ten years. It is not for everyone.

Last edited by erikbj; 06-06-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Well I have my clubs ordered and was looking at some public courses and came across a few country clubs. I have no intention on ever joining a country club but can someone explain why you would want to join one of these clubs? I was talking to a friend that is a member and here are the estimates he gave me.

2,500 one-time join fee
    2,000 yearly member dues
    something like $30 a month that you have to spend in food/drinks

So let's say that you have 8 months out of the year that you can play. Not including the one time fee that's $250 month. So if a round of golf costs $50 you would have to golf at least 5 times a month just to break even.

Am I missing something?
    Wow, where are you looking? I live near Medinah CC here in Illinois. $50,000 entry fee, $1500/month food/drink, plus 5 or 10-Gs a year. When they had the PGA championship here a few years ago, they sent out a $10,000/member fee for course improvements, payable now.

Not that I'm snoody or anything, but for that price, I'd jump at the chance to call myself a country club member, lol.

I am with you though on the cost. I'd much rather spread my money around and play other courses.

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 276

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    Wow, where are you looking? I live near Medinah CC here in Illinois. $50,000 entry fee, $1500/month food/drink, plus 5 or 10-Gs a year. When they had the PGA championship here a few years ago, they sent out a $10,000/member fee for course improvements, payable now.

Not that I'm snoody or anything, but for that price, I'd jump at the chance to call myself a country club member, lol.

I am with you though on the cost. I'd much rather spread my money around and play other courses.
    I didn't realize this was a ******* match.....I'm sure there are a few expensive ones around here. I believe the one my friend was talking about was a cheap one in urbandale.

Even the cheap ones seem expensive to me.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

It's really about finding the place where your buddies play.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 517
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by acrozier22 View Post
    It's really about finding the place where your buddies play.
    This.

If it's a country club, great. If it's a 9 hole muni, fine.

Some people on here think they're a lot more important than they really are. Whenever golf comes up a few people on here act like they know everything and that nobody else should even have an opinion. D-bag golf guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Cool Re: Another golf question

Belonging to a golf club is awesome, but still hard to justify the price. I have 2 kids who are getting close to the age where they will start golfing more so I can make the math work easier since there will be 3 of us using the family membership versus paying 3 greens fees everytime I want to go golfing. A country club also offers a pool and work out facilities which help justify the costs. As far as the $50/month food fee requirement, it's easy to justify that, just eat at the Country Club once a month instead of taking the family to Applebee's, the food is better anyway. Plus, those beers and snacks add up fast over a month's time so the food fee is really not a factor. What is a factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is member assessments if they decided to rebuild the bunkers or something......but if they charge too many of those then members will be leaving.

No offense to you hackers out there, but I can't stand to play alot of public courses. Seems like I'm always behind some hackers who take 5 hours to play a round, take 5 mintues to line up every putt like they are on the PGA Tour, lose a ball on every hole, take 15 mintues to look for their lost ball which is a .25 cent Top Flite any way, you'd think they lost a golden ball or something. Also, they don't repair divots or ball marks on the greens and in general leave the course in worse condition then they should which really irks me............

FYI....private country clubs are in a world of hurt right now. Glen Oaks has lost 80 members recently which equates to $50K/month in revenue, Ouch!

King James

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfnb View Post
    Belonging to a golf club is awesome, but still hard to justify the price. I have 2 kids who are getting close to the age where they will start golfing more so I can make the math work easier since there will be 3 of us using the family membership versus paying 3 greens fees everytime I want to go golfing. A country club also offers a pool and work out facilities which help justify the costs. As far as the $50/month food fee requirement, it's easy to justify that, just eat at the Country Club once a month instead of taking the family to Applebee's, the food is better anyway. Plus, those beers and snacks add up fast over a month's time so the food fee is really not a factor. What is a factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is member assessments if they decided to rebuild the bunkers or something......but if they charge too many of those then members will be leaving.

No offense to you hackers out there, but I can't stand to play alot of public courses. Seems like I'm always behind some hackers who take 5 hours to play a round, take 5 mintues to line up every putt like they are on the PGA Tour, lose a ball on every hole, take 15 mintues to look for their lost ball which is a .25 cent Top Flite any way, you'd think they lost a golden ball or something. Also, they don't repair divots or ball marks on the greens and in general leave the course in worse condition then they should which really irks me............

FYI....private country clubs are in a world of hurt right now. Glen Oaks has lost 80 members recently which equates to $50K/month in revenue, Ouch!
    Agreed. If you join a good club, you get so much more than just the golf. It really is worth it. And I agree about playing on public courses. It really can be frustrating for those of us who are serious golfers. Also, you don't have the waiting and the long rounds that you would have on a public course. And at private courses, the courses are always in great shape.

Bottom line, if you have the money, and are really into golf it is totally worth it.

Last edited by 06Panther; 06-06-2009 at 10:38 PM.