Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Eastern Iowa Cyclone Fans

I just spent the last two days in Eastern Iowa (Iowa City and Cedar Rapids) and have experienced the mostly Hawk-dominated culture in that part of the State. However, I did encounter some great Cyclone fans in both Iowa City and Cedar Rapids. I just want to hear from some of those Eastern Iowa Cyclone fans some interesting or funny stories about being a Clone fan in Iowa's backyard, and how they are able to live their lives as Clones in that 'kneck of the woods.'

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

Re: Eastern Iowa Cyclone Fans

I'd say the most difficult thing is the constant inundation of UIowa/Hawkeye stuff - on tv, radio, news, billboards, etc... You just can't get away from it. I'm sure some Hawkeye fans feel the same about living in/near Ames.

For the most part, I haven't had any negative interactions with Iowa fans over here. My office is split fairly evenly between Iowa State/Iowa fans, so there's a good-natured ribbing that goes on, especially during FB/MBB season. One guy is a big Iowa fan, but pretty cool about it. He takes our jabs well and will even give them back when deserved.

It helps that, because of where my husband works, there are quite a few Cyclones in our circle of friends. I've found if you surround yourself with other ISU fans, it helps drown out the Hawkeye propaganda.

There was one time I had to run in to Target to get a few things. I had on an ISU sweatshirt and a very nice lady let me go in front of her in line because I only had about 5 things compared to her cart full. She commented something like "you can go ahead of us, even if you are wearing Iowa State stuff." It was totally not in a demeaning way and I just laughed it off.

This morning I was out for a run. I was wearing an Iowa State shirt and came up by another couple running. The guy said "Go Cyclones" as we passed. It was all I could do to wheeze out a "Yeah" and a small fist pump (I am so not a runner). So sometimes you get good things, too.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,821
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Cyclone fans that live in eastern Iowa are the salt of the Earth. How you can put up with that much hawk-aganda (hawk propaganda) is beyond me. Go you guys.

Rookie
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I live just outside CR and striaght north of IC. Cowbell assesment is pretty fair with what I see. The news and radio are horrible, ISU only gets a mention at the end and ONLY if it is something huge. I pay attention to CF and cyclones.com for my info. KCRG and the Gazzette (spelling) are the worst. They have a hawk promotion going constantly.

The people are pretty cool. I have had a few get profain, but for the most part it is in jest. One day while I was stopped at a light a guy pulled up beside me and motioned for me to roll down my window. When I did I was treated to his brilliance with a montage of F-bombs that concluded with "go home and kill yourself". That was the best, it was right after the 23-3 beat down so my "scoreboard" reponse perfect.

My neighbors are really cool about it. When give each other crap and no one has broken my ISU stones in 5 years

My whole basement is painted mustard yellow (think spicy not frenchs) with the ISU fight song hand painted around the ceiling. Behind the bar is a 3' x 4' I-State logo hand painted. When ISU is on the road and we are not going to it about 20 fellow staters come over and watch the game. It is great, my neighbors tell me I am going to have to re-paint the basement to sell my house.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Its alot different living in Nebraska. My wife works for a large insurance company in Lincoln, NE. There were a few Missouri fans in that office last year that proudly displayed their MU stuff.

Well, after Missouri's 56-17 win in Lincoln, those people were loaded up onto trucks and never heard from again. Their jobs were all replaced within the next week. Nobody really cared, because the MU fans had alot of annoying habits. I told my wife to take down her ISU stuff and replace it with Nebraska crap.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It does get pretty old when all the paper in davenport does is bow down to the hawks and no respect is give to the cyclones. I shouldn't say that, its few and far between.
    My work is fairly evenly split with Cyclone / Hawk fans, but the thing abt the hawk fans is that none of them actually went there, let along graduated from there. ALL the State fans went and graduated!

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think what helped me the most was the influence my family had one me. Both my parents and all of my mom's siblings went to Iowa State and I was raised a Cyclone. While things would be tough at school (I almost got suspended after that Hampton game because I was harassed almost the entire day) having my family be as passionate as I for for the Cyclones is a big help

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,821
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cylax51 View Post
    I live just outside CR and striaght north of IC. Cowbell assesment is pretty fair with what I see. The news and radio are horrible, ISU only gets a mention at the end and ONLY if it is something huge. I pay attention to CF and cyclones.com for my info. KCRG and the Gazzette (spelling) are the worst. They have a hawk promotion going constantly.

The people are pretty cool. I have had a few get profain, but for the most part it is in jest. One day while I was stopped at a light a guy pulled up beside me and motioned for me to roll down my window. When I did I was treated to his brilliance with a montage of F-bombs that concluded with "go home and kill yourself". That was the best, it was right after the 23-3 beat down so my "scoreboard" reponse perfect.

My neighbors are really cool about it. When give each other crap and no one has broken my ISU stones in 5 years

My whole basement is painted mustard yellow (think spicy not frenchs) with the ISU fight song hand painted around the ceiling. Behind the bar is a 3' x 4' I-State logo hand painted. When ISU is on the road and we are not going to it about 20 fellow staters come over and watch the game. It is great, my neighbors tell me I am going to have to re-paint the basement to sell my house.
    Let's get some pics of that basement. Sounds awesome.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well i cant speak for myself, but my brother works at the University Of Iowa Credit Union. And he is a huge cyclone fan. He does taxes for most all of the incoming freshman. he always has cyclone stuff at his desk and they make snide comments to him, and then he will precede to tell them that they have a terrible credit score, and wont be able to take out a loan. If i had time to post some of his stories i would...but it is definatley tough to be a clone in eatsern iowa!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 20

We actually just moved into a new house this past week. The previous owners were huge Hawk fans, ie Hawk doormat, a bathroom completely covered in Hawk decor, and other Hawk "junk" if you will. Now 3 years ago, this may not have been a problem as we are recent Cyclone converts. I thought it was kind of funny moving in though that the previous owners left that stuff...maybe they converted too.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

It gets tough at times, overall thanks to Rockwell there are a ton of Cyclone fans in the area. It took me awhile to not say "Nice shirt!" to everyone in an ISU shirt on campus.

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 678
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

SE Iowa is solid hock country. I feel like I get the cold shoulder sometimes when I wear cardinal and gold, but I haven't noticed any comments. When my son and I are out and we see a fellow Cyclone, we usually give them a thumbs up or a "go cyclones" - I think it is appreciated by those who are living deep in enemy territory.

Rookie
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have lived in coralville since 85. It used to e really tough but times have changed. I can remember having to replace car antennas often if we went to the ped mall for anything (license 4MOOU). Todays EIU fans are more tolerant or less exuberant.

I used to fly a 3 x 5 flag on the front of the house. 2 families bought houses in our neighbor because of the flag.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,561
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 9

I have lived in CR most of my life and I think that the hawk fans have gotten a lot better in the past decade (mostly b/c ISU was competitive in football again - minus the past couple seasons). 90% of the time conversations are very civil with little putting down (except for the occasional jab about Johnson County jail needing to expand with every KF recruiting class coming in), most have been educated about the team and are more interested in ISU basketball than their own team, because they think ISU will turn it around this season.

However you still find the occasional jack *** that gets drunk and has to put ISU down.....but typically he/she demonstrate their IQ of 80 while doing it.

The best Hawk fan interaction was before the Iowa / ISU game two years ago, and this girl 18-20 years of age was wearing some 80's style sunglasses and being another drunk Hawk fan, I told her that "Hey, Hayden Fry just called and said he wanted his sunglasses back." She looked at me and said, "who's that?" All the ISU fans were laughing at her to the point she was nearly in tears and her boyfriend had to walk away in shame leaving her behind.

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have lived in Cedar Falls for the last 2.5 years. I have a few neighbors that are fellow Cyclones. The annoying thing is the UNI and Wartburg grads that spew hawk garbage.