Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

Putting down our dog today - Update: He lives until Monday

We are putting down our 3 year old shih tzu today. I really really don't want to, but there are so many factors at play that I don't think there is a better option. Our dog wigs out on himself erraticly and often keeps us up all night, it's the opinion of some that they are seizures, his liver may or may not be able to handle anti-seizure medication, he's developed a couple other behavioral problems where he doesnt always play nice with our 2 year old son, our son recently saw an allergist who recommended not having pets in the home, and the stress of everything is affecting my wife's health with her pregnancy and crohns disease as well, which can lead to big problems. Even if we can fix the dog's problems with meds, we shouldn't have him in the home according to the allergist, so we would have to rehome him.

I feel so bad and guilty about choosing to put him down, especially since he is my first dog, and he is still young. He hasnt been the same dog lately though, as he's usually wigging out or sedated. My brain tells me it's the right decision, but my heart says otherwise. How have you people dealt with putting a dog down?? Were you present when the vet did it??
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by MrGreg; 06-05-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 640
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 78

Re: Putting down our dog today

Try taking him to a shelter first. Is there a Shih Tzu rescue group in town? I really don't think its fair for you to choose to end his life prematurely unless there is a serious illness in play here.

Recruit
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

This has to be one of the toughest decisions that a person can make. I had to put down my Shepard mix last July 5th. He was 14 had cancer, and his quality of life was very poor. My daughter grew up with him and it was a very emotional time for myself, and my two kids. I literally cried like a baby for a couple of days. I still think of him often when I am out in the backyard where we spent so much time together, throwing the ball, or the frisbee or just wrestling around. Just writing this is very hard. Dogs can be a man's best friend, and mine sure was.

I am sorry you have to go through this, but it sounds like the right decision for your family and him also. Take care.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

We put my cat of 14 years down Mothers Day 2008(it was her present if you will because she always hated him, screwed up I know.) I was there when he took his last breath. It was really peaceful, he just slowly drifted off and showed no signs of pain at all from it. My situation was abit different though. He had developed diabetes in 2005 and his body was slowly failing him. I still havent really dealt with it, even thinkin about it now makes me pretty sad. The best I can say is that if you and you're vet feel its the best option, then dont let Tz or anyone else tell you otherwise. If it isn't, take him to a shelter.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 0

I had to put my wife's cat down and I didn't even like the thing. I got misty in at the vets and there is no way I'd be in the room with him. I'm a nancy when it comes to pets though.

You might want to check out the Shih Tzu rescue avenue... but IMO your family comes before any animal. You sound like you wanted to provide him a good home and you did the best you could. I don't have a problem with your decision. If he really doesn't play well with your 2 year old he could bite him 3 weeks from now and everybody would ask you why you didn't put him down when you got the chance.

I once knew a guy whose dad would get a dog, and if that dog chased cars he would shoot it and get another one. This doesn't sound like the case with you. Do what you can to prolong his life (rescues, etc) but if he truly isn't good with kids, requires meds, and can't live outside... well there isn't a whole lot you can really do for a Shih Tzu.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 831
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by tzjung View Post
    Try taking him to a shelter first. Is there a Shih Tzu rescue group in town? I really don't think its fair for you to choose to end his life prematurely unless there is a serious illness in play here.
    I agree, but I don't know the details.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 325

Quote Originally Posted by tzjung View Post
    It sounds like there is a serious illness here, and taking him to a shelter would just be pawning off the problem on someone else. It seems to me as though it would be a kindness to put the poor dog down--and if it weren't, any vet would tell him so.

After my mother passed away, and both of our beloved Siamese cats had within a few weeks as well, when next our Chinese Pug (Mom's dog) fell seriously ill, our vet in Muscatine (he's a hero to me) put her to sleep gratis. I don't know how my Dad stood all of the losses. Of course, all of these pets were in their mid teens.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You need to do what's best for you family. A shelter would not be fair since the dog is not well. Don't feel guilty, you're doing the right thing.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 63

My parents put down our dog when I was a youngster. It was a yorkie and it was a dang good dog, and I cried when I was a kid because they dad that, but now looking back I know it was the right decision.

Dogs for the most part can be better friends with you in your lifetime than people will be.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,261
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 627
    Given: 36

Just from the information provided, it sounds like there just MAY be an illness that MAY not be fixable. I agree that it's not fair to end the animal's life because of the reason's provided. Take it to a shelter if you do anything. The shelter generally will release health information to a prospective adopter and there are many kind-hearted people that would actually prefer to adopt an animal like this, because they know a lot of the other dogs without health problems would go to a home.

Whether we like it or not, people take on a responsibility when taking in an animal, and putting it down for the reason's giving is not the right thing to do.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    It sounds like there is a serious illness here, and taking him to a shelter would just be pawning off the problem on someone else. It seems to me as though it would be a kindness to put the poor dog down--and if it weren't, any vet would tell him so.

After my mother passed away, and both of our beloved Siamese cats had within a few weeks as well, when next our Chinese Pug (Mom's dog) fell seriously ill, our vet in Muscatine (he's a hero to me) put her to sleep gratis. I don't know how my Dad stood all of the losses. Of course, all of these pets were in their mid teens.
    The vet in Muscatine, is it the Drahos? If so they are excellent excellent vets. Dont have enough kind words for them.

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I did a quick search and couldn't find a rescue in IA. That doesn't mean there isn't one in-state of regional. Perhaps these folks can help...

US Shih Tzu Rescue

Good luck.

SPC

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

If the dog seems dangerous around children you're making the best choice. Sounds like its quality of life won't be that great anyway and you would hate to have the shelter re-home him to somebody with kids.

Not sure a shelter would have a spot for him anyway - expensive meds AND potentially a threat to kids? yeah, I'd say listen to your brain on this one.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Man - I don't want to read this thread.

I hated life when we put our last dog down - and it was really the dog that came with my wife, so I didn't have near the attachment. Can't stand the thought of when the time comes for our current pooch.

Had to put my 7 y/o cat down two years ago, that I had since a stray kitten - and that tore me up.

My sincere condolences. It sucks. I was present for both the dog and the cat. I think it's harder watching it go. Personal opinion. But I felt like I would regret it if I wasn't, perhaps owed it to the pet to be there... Corny.

But my in-laws are our vet - so they made it as easy as we wanted it to be. Hopefully your vet would do the same.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 06-05-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 259

CraigsList?

Seriously, take him to the vet to do it.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.