Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 8

Been too long since the last beer thread

OK, so I'm sitting in Old Chicago in Peoria, IL. I've just tried the Founder's Centennial IPA, which was pretty good, but not great. It's missing aroma hops. Maybe the bottle was just old or something.

I sampled the Southern Tier Phin Matt's Extrordinary ale which, despite it's name, is quite ordinary, but a good example of a run of the mill APA.

Now I'm drinking a Steelhead Extra Stout from Mad River Brewing company. A pretty good Extra Stout. I'd maybe consider it "Bells Expedition Stout Lite".

After this, I'm headed over to Kelleher's Irish pub to drink some extrodinary beer on tap, eat a great Irish meal, and then take a cab back to the hotel, since I doubt I'll be standing up straight, let alone able to drive, after a couple Czars, a 90 minute IPA, and a Hopslam on tap, and MAYBE a bottle of Worldwide Stout.

Anyone else had anything good lately?

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

Re: Been too long since the last beer thread

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    OK, so I'm sitting in Old Chicago in Peoria, IL. I've just tried the Founder's Centennial IPA, which was pretty good, but not great. It's missing aroma hops. Maybe the bottle was just old or something.

I sampled the Southern Tier Phin Matt's Extrordinary ale which, despite it's name, is quite ordinary, but a good example of a run of the mill APA.

Now I'm drinking a Steelhead Extra Stout from Mad River Brewing company. A pretty good Extra Stout. I'd maybe consider it "Bells Expedition Stout Lite".

After this, I'm headed over to Kelleher's Irish pub to drink some extrodinary beer on tap, eat a great Irish meal, and then take a cab back to the hotel, since I doubt I'll be standing up straight, let alone able to drive, after a couple Czars, a 90 minute IPA, and a Hopslam on tap, and MAYBE a bottle of Worldwide Stout.

No, but dammit you're making me thirsty.

We've done the Rhodel's brew your own a few times and always go over to Kelleher's. Good place. Had my first Delirium Tremens there. That was a fun night.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 15

(And it's not even Friday.)
    Be sure to tell us tomorrow if you actually remember doing all this.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    No, but dammit you're making me thirsty.

We've done the Rhodel's brew your own a few times and always go over to Kelleher's. Good place. Had my first Delirium Tremens there. That was a fun night.
    Last time I was there they weren't open, but I wanted to stop in. I don't really have any desire to brew my own there (other than to have someone else clean up my mess ), but I'm interested in trying their house beers.

I'm sure it won't be anything that knocks my socks off, but I'm all about broadening my horizons.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

Last time I was there they weren't open, but I wanted to stop in. I don't really have any desire to brew my own there (other than to have someone else clean up my mess ), but I'm interested in trying their house beers.

I'm sure it won't be anything that knocks my socks off, but I'm all about broadening my horizons.
    It's actually a pretty sweet process. You get to sit and drink while you do everything. It's a lot of fun with a group - multiple jokes were made about teabagging, etc (which probably had more to do with the people we were with than anything).

The ones we've made (and had there) have all been decent.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 110

90 Minute and Hopslam on tap? I hate you.

I've got some Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine that I'm going to enjoy while grilling some spare ribs later. Good stuff, and very, VERY reasonably priced ($7.49/6 pack at Jordan Creek Pkwy Hy-Vee) for how big of a beer it is. Last weekend in Iowa City my buddies and I split a bottle of Viking Blod mead. Good stuff! We also had some of his homebrews. It was an English style Old Ale, which was very good but tasted quite Belgian, imo. I also had Goose Island's NightStalker on tap at Bait Shop. It's their imperial Bourbon Barrel Stout that hasn't gone into a Bourbon Barrel. It was 13.5% ABV and had some wild flavors that I've never tasted before. Very good.

Enjoy having that good stuff on tap!

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    90 Minute and Hopslam on tap? I hate you.

I've got some Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine that I'm going to enjoy while grilling some spare ribs later. Good stuff, and very, VERY reasonably priced ($7.49/6 pack at Jordan Creek Pkwy Hy-Vee) for how big of a beer it is. Last weekend in Iowa City my buddies and I split a bottle of Viking Blod mead. Good stuff! We also had some of his homebrews. It was an English style Old Ale, which was very good but tasted quite Belgian, imo. I also had Goose Island's NightStalker on tap at Bait Shop. It's their imperial Bourbon Barrel Stout that hasn't gone into a Bourbon Barrel. It was 13.5% ABV and had some wild flavors that I've never tasted before. Very good.

Enjoy having that good stuff on tap!

Ok, the Nightstalker just made it onto my "Must try" list. I LOVE the bourbon county stout.

And that's a VERY reasonable price for Bigfoot.

I just tried a Clipper City Brewing Company Heavy Seas Loose Cannon IPA, which is very good. 7.25% ABV and they claim to use 3lbs of hops per bbl, which comes out to about 1.5 lbs per 5 gallons. That's a TON of hops.

I don't know if it's THAT hoppy, but it's really pretty good.

I've got an IPA ready to brew, after my latest modifications to my setup, including adding a march pump and a counterflow chiller. Hopefully I can brew with it next week!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 35

I am enjoying a new belgium blue paddle right now.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Czars, a 90 minute IPA, and a Hopslam on tap, and MAYBE a bottle of Worldwide Stout.
    That is freakin' crazy that you can get hopslam and DFH 90 on tap. I wish Iowa's laws weren't so absurd.

Me, I'm drinking some homebrew and watching the game tonight.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 149

Had a buddy bring back some Yuengling Black and Tan from out east. Had that with some rib tips the other night. Very good. I also got a couple bottles of cherry lambic that will be great to drink on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon. I also picked up some Flying Dog IPA, which is one of my favorites.... mmmm... beer.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyfan322 View Post
    That is freakin' crazy that you can get hopslam and DFH 90 on tap. I wish Iowa's laws weren't so absurd.

Me, I'm drinking some homebrew and watching the game tonight.
    I know there are bars that have 120 and WWS on tap too. They do some crazy mix of the two akin to a black and tan. I can't even imagine what that is like.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 110

Ok, the Nightstalker just made it onto my "Must try" list. I LOVE the bourbon county stout.

And that's a VERY reasonable price for Bigfoot.

I just tried a Clipper City Brewing Company Heavy Seas Loose Cannon IPA, which is very good. 7.25% ABV and they claim to use 3lbs of hops per bbl, which comes out to about 1.5 lbs per 5 gallons. That's a TON of hops.

I don't know if it's THAT hoppy, but it's really pretty good.

I've got an IPA ready to brew, after my latest modifications to my setup, including adding a march pump and a counterflow chiller. Hopefully I can brew with it next week!
    Sounds like a great beer for summer. I love IPA's w/great weather.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 2

Paulaner Hefeweizen. Or any hefeweizen.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Had a buddy bring back some Yuengling Black and Tan from out east. Had that with some rib tips the other night. Very good. I also got a couple bottles of cherry lambic that will be great to drink on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon. I also picked up some Flying Dog IPA, which is one of my favorites.... mmmm... beer.
    Son of a *****... I had AB's American Ale for the first time tonight, and I actually liked it, which was somewhat of a surprise, as I'm not normally a fan of ales.

It might not be up there in class with the stuff you guys drink, but I thought it was pretty good; the finish didn't overpower like many of the IPA's do. IMO.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 656
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 52

Ironically I just finished my last Titan IPA with dinner (which I had just got in the last beer thread). I just noticed they have a saying on the bottle "Great Minds Drink Alike"