Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The season that was....

I was flipping through some old posts and ran accross this from November 24, 2008. Is this the way everyone else remembered the season? I kind of found it funny yet sad at the same time.

2 - 10 wow, what can you really say? The only thing I can think to say is thank God it is over. I am a huge I-state fan/supporter but I couldn't handle anymore with this team. The Offense would play fine, the Defense wouldn't. The defense would put them into position to win and the special teams would fail. So close and yet so for away.

So let's remember what was:
    South Dakota State: (W) 44-17. I-state did what they should do against a team from that conference.

Kent State: (W) 48-28. Two games in a row, a ton of points scored. Getting the feeling that this team might score at will.

Iowa: (L) 5-17. Wow, close game. Iowa returns that punt and that was the deal breaker. Hope for a good season still high.

UNLV: (L) 31-34 OT. Double WOW. At half time, the last 6 quarter of football from this team, this amazing offense from the beginning of the year has amassed a not so amazing 5 total points. Something happens at half time, the team come out hot. Scores with three seconds left to only be down one point. I scream go for 2, TWO TWO TWO TWO they kick and lose in OT on UNLV's first play. WOW WOW

KANSAS: (L) 33-35. UGH. I am starting to think that maybe I was wrong. Up 20 points they somehow find a way to get down. Onside kick get the ball only to fail again. I think I drank too much.

Baylor: (L) 10-38. Well it can't get much worse than this can it? I mean they can't lose them all.....

Nebraska: (L) 7-35. Sure seemed a lot closer than the score... not sure though.... drinking a lot at these games now... I am sure they will win at least one of these games....

aTm: (L) 35-49. HHMMM it was homecoming.... I was at this game.... memory really fuzzy... thought we tried to win, onside kick hit aTm player in the face, but they got the ball..... maybe shouldn't drink so much

Oklahoma State: (L) 17-59. In Mexico. While I am sure that won't win, they might cover the spread... let's check the internet Espinoza (that is Spanish for internet I think)..... nope, nothing good.... so many margaritas..

Colorado: (L) 24-28. I am so glad I was in Mexico when I jumped on Jamie Lou's blackberry in the Cancun airport. Don't think I could have handled seeing them fail to score with no time left.... getting drunk at a Bubba Gump in the airport.... the movie seems to be one repeat all the time... it is making me drink more.. I bet there is a high suicide rate here.

Missouri: (L) 20-52 Pretty sure they aren't going to win another game this year... I think We will go to Murhpy Waggoner's birthday party in Indianola instead.... wow that was a great choice... but there was an open bar.. makes it easy to forget the game.

Kansas State: (L) 30-38 A fumble on the 4 going in to score. over 600 yards of offense..... Thank God it is over... thank God it is Cassie's birthday and there will be beer.....

Hey, the Men's basketball team is 3-0 right now... Maybe there is a chance they will be good this year..... shoot me now.

Thoughts From Iowa About Anything: Oh, thank God it is over

Fight with Might!

My Blog

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,239
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 18

Re: The season that was....

The general trend of fleeting hope and paying less attention as the season wore on is pretty accurate, but I still have plenty of memories from each game because I was not drunk for 3 consecutive months. In particular, I was so heartbroken at the end of the Colorado game even though we were a 2-7 team and going nowhere.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 25

Baylor was probably the game that hurt the most...It was just depressing to watch.. I still never left a game early besides missouri due to the fact i was shirtless and my skin was purple and couldnt stop shaking...but it was hard to get excited for a game after the baylor matchup... although it was a depressing feeling once the season was over.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,223
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19

They showed at the beginning of the season that they had the potential to play with the big boys. After the Iowa loss, the UNLV head scratcher, and the up and down emotions of the Kansas game I think the team lost their fire. Chizik wasn't the type of guy that could motivate a team when their down and I think they just lost confidence as the season went on. Some weeks they seemed to go out and fight hard and some weeks they just looked flat. Its hard to blame the guys after three tough losses like that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    They showed at the beginning of the season that they had the potential to play with the big boys. After the Iowa loss, the UNLV head scratcher, and the up and down emotions of the Kansas game I think the team lost their fire. Chizik wasn't the type of guy that could motivate a team when their down and I think they just lost confidence as the season went on. Some weeks they seemed to go out and fight hard and some weeks they just looked flat. Its hard to blame the guys after three tough losses like that.
    I pretty much agree with this. I was thinking of those first five games the other day and broke it down like this.

South Dakota State - Team showed good positioning and a nose for the ball. Offense started slow but finally hit its mark in the 2nd half. Need to choose a QB and stick with it.

Kent State - Offense again sputtered for awhile but showed some promise with both QBs in there. Still have to pick a QB. Defense still showing good positioning but line play is worrisome. 28 points is a bit much for Kent State but they did have Edelman and Jarvis (PS - Wish Jarvis would just leave).

Iowa - Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy game. Defense again showed good positioning but could not tackle worth a crap. Held tough to generate two (should have been three) turnovers. Offense sputtered but still drove the ball deep consistently. Red zone, red zone, red zone.

At this point I am thinking offense will eventually click when Arnaud finally separates himself from Bates. Defense will start to click as they play with more confidence. Their positioning has been good but they need better line play and tackling to get the big and consistent stops.

Then UNLV.

UNLV - At this game. Behind ISU bench about 15 rows. Team came out fired up behind the crowd. Then the positives disappeared. Defensive positioning was terrible. Linemen did not get down the line of scrimmage, linebackers got sucked in to the first level of blocks. Secondary was too small to tackle either their QB or HB without help.

Offense sputtered. UNLV's line wanted it more than our offensive line and the only consistency being shown was by JJ Bass. Really need to pick a QB and stick with it. Only learn by going through ups and downs.

Second half rolls around. Defense settles in to roles and gets back to good positioning. Gang tackling because of better speed. Offense clicks behind the arm of Arnaud. Creative play calling by McFarland.

Should have went for two. Disappointing. Still have hope.

Kansas - Defense positioning is great in the first half again. Defense sets up the offense and the offense knocks them down. As close to a perfect half of football as you can get.

2nd half rolls around. Repeat of UNLV for defense. Linebackers get too aggressive and get out of position. Get burned. Offense sputters behind a lax offensive line and uncreative play calling.

Rally falls short. Confidence disappears. Players don't necessarily give up but they have a huge crisis in beliving what they are doing is right. Especially on defense.

Defense is so much a game about confidence and good positioning based on that confidence (See: 2004 and 2005). If too many things do not go the defense's way then that confidence will slowly erode. Blowing that huge lead to KU two weeks after spending all that energy at UNLV I think was the final straw.

No doubt that if we hold on to the KU game, and maybe even squeak out the UNLV game with a two point conversion, we are a bowl team. Simply because the defense would have had every reason to believe in their scheme and play their positions and not try to do too much.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,500
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    Baylor was probably the game that hurt the most...It was just depressing to watch.. I still never left a game early besides missouri due to the fact i was shirtless and my skin was purple and couldnt stop shaking...but it was hard to get excited for a game after the baylor matchup... although it was a depressing feeling once the season was over.
    For me, the Iowa game ****** me off as a real opportunity to steal a win.

The KU game was a kick in the nuts that gave me KSU flashbacks.

The Baylor game was the first real time I thought (wtf?) are the coaches doing? Our defensive game plan was awful. Baylor sliced through us like butter and it seemed like they only ran about 6 different plays. When GC punted on 4th and 5 from Baylor's 37 yard line, I had never witnessed a coach give up on his team like that.

CU game - another kick in the nuts. CU had not scored more than 17 points in a conference game, and we let them score 28 points in a single half after benching their QB.

There was something terribly wrong on the defensive side of the ball last year, and I am not going to lay it on the players. I am just hoping for the new sheriffs (Rhoads and Burnham) to fix it. What is the name of the SNL character that has no ideas, just says, FIX IT!! That be me.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 9

McCarney's 2006 squad was much harder to watch than the 2008 squad.

Walden's o'fer last year was brutal as well.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Absolutely. 2003 and 2006 were squads that just plain quit.

I never got that feeling in 2008. If anything, the players were trying to do too much and would get caught out of position. Then you add in the coaching staff not trying new things and puttling players (Bell) in the doghouse it was a receipe for disaster.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Why are we recapping such a ****** season?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 33

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post

I never got that feeling in 2008. If anything, the players were trying to do too much and would get caught out of position. Then you add in the coaching staff not trying new things and puttling players (Bell) in the doghouse it was a receipe for disaster.

I'm with this one....the players never stopped believing, they just started looking like a 3rd grade soccer team, everyone trying to do everything. No one trusted their positioning, LBs would get sucked up into 1st level blocks, CBs tried to cover more sq ft.....

Offense had no faith in the play calling, it was almost like AA was reluctant to call the play from the sidelines. Anyone else get that?

John Walters is my hero

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 113

The Nebraska game was pitiful. We had run 125 plays in Lincoln the year before and we put up a good fight. This year, After three bad bubba bubble screens, the game was over in the first quarter. The Husker fans had a great time at our expense.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post

Walden's o'fer last year was brutal as well.
    O ten and one? I remember that. That was right around when I started getting interested in football in HS. I realized I got to watch guys run around in tight pants. That's also part of why I became a wrestling cheerleader in HS.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Let me tell you what....the 2006 team never quit! I can promise you that!

Legend
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 173

I do not have the inside info AFlynn may have, but imo the struggles of 2006 were not due to "quitting". Look at the last 5 games:
    Down 8 at the half against TT
    Down 7 going into the 4th quarter at KSU
    They did lay an egg against KU, but that doesn't mean they quit.
    Lost to CU in Boulder, which many Cyclone teams have done. In the game at the half.
    Beat Missouri in final game.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    It just looks that way because we played a lot tougher schedule in 2003 and 2006 than in 2008. Had we played Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech in 2008, we would have had three games that went just like the Oklahoma State beatdown. Four, if you consider that K-State was a good team back in those days.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.