Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 19

Non-Conference Opponents

Though this is probably another overused topic, before conference play, why do we always play teams that are barely D-1. I mean we played Houston and Hawaii last year but why is the majority of the games against teams like SIU-Edwardsville, South Dakota State, or UC Davis. I mean sure they are mostly easy W's, we haven't been able to get more than what seems like 2-3 wins during conference play. I remember a couple of years ago, we had a home & home series with teams like Xavier, Boston College, and Minnesota. Shouldn't playing against decent opponents should be able to get us ready for the Big 12 schedule, like from the Mountain West, West Coast Conference, Conference USA.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 0

Re: Non-Conference Opponents

The schedule will be upgraded next year. It won't be a bad noncon schedule, not great, but it'll be good.

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 541
    Given: 133

Next year so far we have Bradley, Cal, Iowa, UNI, Drake, Notre Dame, Northwestern, and St Louis. Any others I'm leaving off?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84

We'll play two of the three of ND, NW, and St Louis. That looks about right though.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Our schedule will actually be upgraded from the seasons we played BC, Xavier, Minnesota. Those were the only decent teams outside of Iowa that we played those years.

Here is '04-'05 for example

Basketball (M) - Schedule - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bostrem00 View Post
    Though this is probably another overused topic, before conference play, why do we always play teams that are barely D-1. I mean we played Houston and Hawaii last year but why is the majority of the games against teams like SIU-Edwardsville, South Dakota State, or UC Davis. I mean sure they are mostly easy W's, we haven't been able to get more than what seems like 2-3 wins during conference play. I remember a couple of years ago, we had a home & home series with teams like Xavier, Boston College, and Minnesota. Shouldn't playing against decent opponents should be able to get us ready for the Big 12 schedule, like from the Mountain West, West Coast Conference, Conference USA.
    Last years non-conference schedule was ridiculous. It looked like Pollard was trying to get us to 20 wins without having to play anyone good. And then it's even more ridiculous when we schedule all cupcakes, and the Hawaii and South Dakota State cupcakes beat us anyway.
    Why not play an honest schedule that the fans and the team can get excited about. We don't really gain anything by running up our win total against the worst teams in the country. If we can't beat some real teams we don't deserve to be considered for post-season play anyway.
    Tickets are expensive and it's hard to get very excited about paying to see us play the Cal-State Davis', Loyola Marymounts, Miss Valley States of the world.
    Those games do us absolutely no good getting ready to play the Big 12.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostrem00 View Post
    If we can't get many conference wins, why play teams that are in BCS conferences?

We struggled to beat teams ranked in the 300s in Sagarian Ratings last year. You want to have an upgraded schedule so we win 7-10 games a year instead?

I'm with you that I'd like to have a more interesting non-conference schedule. We've been playing at a barley D1 level, so we have the barley D1 non-conference schedule.

Next year's team should be good, and our non conference will be improved.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 838
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 8

I would love to see little more challenging opponents. KU just announced their non-conference schedule includes the following: Memphis, UCLA, Cal, Michigan, Tennessee, Temple, La Salle, Cornell, Radford, and Belmont. Most of them made it to post season tournament.

It would be awesome to have 2-3 BCS, 2-3 mid-majors, 2-3 bottom feeders.

Last edited by greatshu; 06-03-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

We need the W's.

It's still also difficult to get a quality home and home.

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 535

Quote Originally Posted by fcmc View Post
    Last years non-conference schedule was ridiculous. It looked like Pollard was trying to get us to 20 wins without having to play anyone good. And then it's even more ridiculous when we schedule all cupcakes, and the Hawaii and South Dakota State cupcakes beat us anyway.
    Why not play an honest schedule that the fans and the team can get excited about. We don't really gain anything by running up our win total against the worst teams in the country. If we can't beat some real teams we don't deserve to be considered for post-season play anyway.
    Tickets are expensive and it's hard to get very excited about paying to see us play the Cal-State Davis', Loyola Marymounts, Miss Valley States of the world.

Oh here we go again.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 386
    Given: 357

Can anyone else add more information about last year? Are we missing anything? I'd like to talk about it some more.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35

Teacher: Okay. Now, everyone take out your safety pencil and a circle of paper. This week, I hope we can finish our work on the letter "A".

Bart:
    Let me get this straight. We're behind the rest of our class and we're going to catch up to them by going slower than they are? [making "crazy" gesture] Cuckoo.

Kids:
    [imitating him] Cuckoo. Cuckoo. Cuckoo. Cuckoo.

Teacher:
    Stop it! Stop it! Warren! Melvin! Gary! Dot! Gordy!

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 42

I'm not sure basketball scheduling falls on Pollard's plate. The basketball coach/staff usually handles that at many schools.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by greatshu View Post
    I would love to see little more challenging opponents. KU just announced their non-conference schedule includes the following: Memphis, UCLA, Cal, Michigan, Tennessee, Temple, La Salle, Cornell, Radford, and Belmont. Most of them made it to post season tournament.

It would be awesome to have 2-3 BCS, 2-3 mid-majors, 2-3 bottom feeders.
    That's what you get to do if you're essentially the consensus pick for #1 to start the year and bring back everyone.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by fcmc View Post
    First off, it's the coaches choice primarily, not Pollards so you will have to blame him for other things like weather, pollution, uni colors.....

Secondly, the coach could of done what you are saying and have a young undermanned team, that had their star player leave the team after last season, go out there every night before conference play started and get the crap beat out of them. Yes, they could of done that.

As our program gets on better footing, the nonconference schedule will be more exciting due to better teams.

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!