Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

The most frequent question i'm hearing from non-cyclone fans?

Is, What is making you cyclone fans think your going to be that much better then your 2-10 team last year?

I wanted to elaborate on my ideas on why I think we will be better for those that ask the question:

1. Coach Rhoads - I have no idea if he's going to be worth anything on game day. But, if his direction and process to selecting his staff is any indication to his mental capacity, were in great shape. IMO Coach Rhoads did not settle for a bunch of guys he worked with in the past to surround himself with a good ol boy network. Instead he went out and selected the guys he felt were going to be able to help him turn the corner with this program.

2. Coach Herman - Young, Bright mind, exciting, creative, elevated his past team to new heights. Coach Herman will do things with our existing players that many of us begged for last season. Game plan that utilizes our strengths and minimizes our weaknesses. IMO Coach Herman will have so many toys to play with in this offense he will have a fun season and our offense will be better then last year.

3. Coach Burnham - Veteran, Proven, Leader. I will be the first to say that i was begging Rhoads to pick a DC and i thought it was going to be Partridge from Wisconsin. Once i heard this was the selection i was more then excited. This is a guy that our young talent will listen to because he's lead some of the best players in the nation while coaching at Florida State and USF. IMO, to have a coach that will put together a scheme thats not repetitious and is attacking instead of passive is exactly what this team needs. The mentality that we showed last year imo was a reflection of the philosophy of being not prepared or able to identify how your being beaten. I think all that changes with our new DC.

4. What we've gained and lost offense:
    Offense - losing Dedrick is a loss no doubt and i'm worried about AA's blind side. The loss of Sumrall is another loss thats big. But, in both cases, the staff recruited JUCO help to offset these losses. The infusion of talent on the offensive side of the ball should speak volumes of what players think of Hermans abilities. Bellamy, Reynolds, Range, Williams, Schwartz are all new skill positions that will look to expand the play-making abilities lost by Sumrall. IMO our wide receiver position is deeper and more talented then any position on the team, the loss of Sumrall in a spread offense minimizes this impact. With Dedrick, we had Hayworth Hicks that was pushing dedrick as it was, and couple that with incoming JUCO LT Z. Spears, we have two players that should be able to step up and provide a worthy replacement. Its not like Dedrick was an All-Big 12 performer, but he was a solid LT. To me our offense has improved from an overall athletic standpoint, and the desire to get playmakers out wide was essential for the offense to be able to run the system that Herman brings to the table, plus his use of 4-5 WR only begs that the position needs to be deep in its rotation. Couple the type of athletes ISU has at the skill positions with the dynamic offensive style that Herman brings to the table and it SHOULD be a fun year to watch this offense!!!!

5. What we've gained and lost on Defense:
    We lost Taylor, Tate, Bibbs, Singleton, Hunley. Obviously the loss of Taylor is the biggest loss. IMO although his loss is big, non of these players provided so much last year that i see them as difficult replacements. But to look at potential replacements, for Taylor i think Christopher Lyle steps right in and actually he will be a breakout player this year. Along with Frere at the end of the season, it seemed like 55 was in on a lot of plays. I'm excited for his development under Bray/Burnham. Bibbs replacement will be either Raven, Schmidgall or Taufoou. Bibbs made some plays but also seemed to be out of position a lot, and his drops in pass coverage left us with holes that passing teams exploited. In Singleton and Hunley, i think the replacements will actually be better. Now that Allen Bell is out of the doghouse, he should be able to step in and compete for a starting spot in his senior season. For Hunley, watch for David Sims to step right in and improve on the athleticism of our safety position. This kid has star written all over him and he likes to dish out some punishment. This kid could finally be our star center fielder we've missed for a long time. Couple the infusion of players into Burnhams systems, this defense could improve quickly if they follow of new coachs system.

6. Secondary depth and coaching:
    Coach Ash brings a mentality to the secondary that we all can remember....it wasnt all talk - it produced probably the best secondary this university has ever had. Looking at the pieces he has to work with, he has the talent, if he can get them disciplined and playing RIGHT instead of playing soft, this group will improve from day one. Depth - Johnson, Banks, Bell, Benton, McDowell, Linder with Reeves and Washington redshirting this year. This group is as talented a DB group as ISU has had in a long time. At Safety, Sims, Smith, Land, Broomfield, Watson this group has a great mix of younger and veteran players that bring a level of athleticism ISU did not have last year. If the secondary gels together, our pass coverage will go from really really bad to good very quickly. IMO there's no way this group looks as confused and in such disarray as they did under the previous staff's leadership. This group has too much talent waiting to be harnessed to look anything like last years debacle. I see early and steady improvement out of this group.

7. New Offensive Scheme:
    Granted Coach Herman brings in a new scheme, but we were already running the spread, the biggest transition for our team will be the speed of his play calling and how fast he can get his scheme completely installed. Obviously there will be growing pains, but, luckily we're not replacing our qb which i think in a transition year makes the process twice as hard. The sooner this offense gets the system and starts clicking, the better off our chances are for success. As cyclone fans we know, you cannot win in the big 12 unless your putting up some heavy points, this offense will be depended upon to win some games, i think this offense will be difficult to stop by mid-season.

8. New Defensive Scheme:
    It cannot be difficult for this team to transition because they didnt have a scheme to follow last year...I think the biggest transition this group is going to face is getting back to fundamentals that wins games. Not being able to tackle someone has very little to do with speed, weight or 3 cone drill time. Its about fundamentals and wrapping up!!!!! One thing i think Chizik stressed was turnovers, well thats fine, but at the same time don't give up 8 yards trying to get a fumble. Over and Over we would watch this group try and strip a ball over and over and the whole time the offensive player was moving forward. Time to let the fumbles happen and get the guy down for a 2-3 yard gain or maybe even no gain at all. This transition will only be on verbage as the schemes being used last year were completely non-effective, this group will be eager to learn and be excited for success.

There's my top 8 reasons why i think this year will be much improved. Only time will tell, but, at least i've given a few reasons to answer the much repeated question "Why do you guys think your going to be better then last year?"

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Re: The most frequent question i'm hearing from non-cyclone fans?

Way too long for me to read....

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 656
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by acrozier22 View Post
    Might want to try Riddlin. Nice analysis KMAC.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 70

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Is, What is making you cyclone fans think your going to be that much better then your 2-10 team last year?

I wanted to elaborate on my ideas on why I think we will be better for those that ask the question:

1. Coach Rhoads - I have no idea if he's going to be worth anything on game day. But, if his direction and process to selecting his staff is any indication to his mental capacity, were in great shape. IMO Coach Rhoads did not settle for a bunch of guys he worked with in the past to surround himself with a good ol boy network. Instead he went out and selected the guys he felt were going to be able to help him turn the corner with this program.

2. Coach Herman - Young, Bright mind, exciting, creative, elevated his past team to new heights. Coach Herman will do things with our existing players that many of us begged for last season. Game plan that utilizes our strengths and minimizes our weaknesses. IMO Coach Herman will have so many toys to play with in this offense he will have a fun season and our offense will be better then last year.

3. Coach Burnham - Veteran, Proven, Leader. I will be the first to say that i was begging Rhoads to pick a DC and i thought it was going to be Partridge from Wisconsin. Once i heard this was the selection i was more then excited. This is a guy that our young talent will listen to because he's lead some of the best players in the nation while coaching at Florida State and USF. IMO, to have a coach that will put together a scheme thats not repetitious and is attacking instead of passive is exactly what this team needs. The mentality that we showed last year imo was a reflection of the philosophy of being not prepared or able to identify how your being beaten. I think all that changes with our new DC.

4. What we've gained and lost offense:
    Offense - losing Dedrick is a loss no doubt and i'm worried about AA's blind side. The loss of Sumrall is another loss thats big. But, in both cases, the staff recruited JUCO help to offset these losses. The infusion of talent on the offensive side of the ball should speak volumes of what players think of Hermans abilities. Bellamy, Reynolds, Range, Williams, Schwartz are all new skill positions that will look to expand the play-making abilities lost by Sumrall. IMO our wide receiver position is deeper and more talented then any position on the team, the loss of Sumrall in a spread offense minimizes this impact. With Dedrick, we had Hayworth Hicks that was pushing dedrick as it was, and couple that with incoming JUCO LT Z. Spears, we have two players that should be able to step up and provide a worthy replacement. Its not like Dedrick was an All-Big 12 performer, but he was a solid LT. To me our offense has improved from an overall athletic standpoint, and the desire to get playmakers out wide was essential for the offense to be able to run the system that Herman brings to the table, plus his use of 4-5 WR only begs that the position needs to be deep in its rotation. Couple the type of athletes ISU has at the skill positions with the dynamic offensive style that Herman brings to the table and it SHOULD be a fun year to watch this offense!!!!

5. What we've gained and lost on Defense:
    We lost Taylor, Tate, Bibbs, Singleton, Hunley. Obviously the loss of Taylor is the biggest loss. IMO although his loss is big, non of these players provided so much last year that i see them as difficult replacements. But to look at potential replacements, for Taylor i think Christopher Lyle steps right in and actually he will be a breakout player this year. Along with Frere at the end of the season, it seemed like 55 was in on a lot of plays. I'm excited for his development under Bray/Burnham. Bibbs replacement will be either Raven, Schmidgall or Taufoou. Bibbs made some plays but also seemed to be out of position a lot, and his drops in pass coverage left us with holes that passing teams exploited. In Singleton and Hunley, i think the replacements will actually be better. Now that Allen Bell is out of the doghouse, he should be able to step in and compete for a starting spot in his senior season. For Hunley, watch for David Sims to step right in and improve on the athleticism of our safety position. This kid has star written all over him and he likes to dish out some punishment. This kid could finally be our star center fielder we've missed for a long time. Couple the infusion of players into Burnhams systems, this defense could improve quickly if they follow of new coachs system.

6. Secondary depth and coaching:
    Coach Ash brings a mentality to the secondary that we all can remember....it wasnt all talk - it produced probably the best secondary this university has ever had. Looking at the pieces he has to work with, he has the talent, if he can get them disciplined and playing RIGHT instead of playing soft, this group will improve from day one. Depth - Johnson, Banks, Bell, Benton, McDowell, Linder with Reeves and Washington redshirting this year. This group is as talented a DB group as ISU has had in a long time. At Safety, Sims, Smith, Land, Broomfield, Watson this group has a great mix of younger and veteran players that bring a level of athleticism ISU did not have last year. If the secondary gels together, our pass coverage will go from really really bad to good very quickly. IMO there's no way this group looks as confused and in such disarray as they did under the previous staff's leadership. This group has too much talent waiting to be harnessed to look anything like last years debacle. I see early and steady improvement out of this group.

7. New Offensive Scheme:
    Granted Coach Herman brings in a new scheme, but we were already running the spread, the biggest transition for our team will be the speed of his play calling and how fast he can get his scheme completely installed. Obviously there will be growing pains, but, luckily we're not replacing our qb which i think in a transition year makes the process twice as hard. The sooner this offense gets the system and starts clicking, the better off our chances are for success. As cyclone fans we know, you cannot win in the big 12 unless your putting up some heavy points, this offense will be depended upon to win some games, i think this offense will be difficult to stop by mid-season.

8. New Defensive Scheme:
    It cannot be difficult for this team to transition because they didnt have a scheme to follow last year...I think the biggest transition this group is going to face is getting back to fundamentals that wins games. Not being able to tackle someone has very little to do with speed, weight or 3 cone drill time. Its about fundamentals and wrapping up!!!!! One thing i think Chizik stressed was turnovers, well thats fine, but at the same time don't give up 8 yards trying to get a fumble. Over and Over we would watch this group try and strip a ball over and over and the whole time the offensive player was moving forward. Time to let the fumbles happen and get the guy down for a 2-3 yard gain or maybe even no gain at all. This transition will only be on verbage as the schemes being used last year were completely non-effective, this group will be eager to learn and be excited for success.

There's my top 8 reasons why i think this year will be much improved. Only time will tell, but, at least i've given a few reasons to answer the much repeated question "Why do you guys think your going to be better then last year?"
    Well said, I'm thinking 5-7

Last edited by keepngoal; 06-01-2009 at 09:47 AM.
    John Walters is my hero

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 321

Quote Originally Posted by terryleebr View Post
    Might want to try Riddlin. Nice analysis KMAC.
    If you're going to insult someone, at least make sure you spell it right so it doesn't come back at you - it's RITALIN...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

+1

5 sentence max please.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Nice read. I agree with many of your points. I'm concerned though we are counting too heavy on a "new" coach and "new" scheme to improve the defense. At the end of the day we still have the same caliber of athletes on the field as we did last year. I want to drink the koolaid but I'm a tad hesitant due to my koolaid binge 2 years ago. I do like that Rhoads did not go the Chizik route and surround himself with friends.

I definitely agree that last year's D was a mess from a coaching and planning standpoint. So I can see an improved game plan translating into a few more W's.

Also, can Herman improve efficiency and play calling enough to improve the red zone %? That was a HHUUGGEE problem last year that cost us a Big 12 W or two, not to mention a potential different outcome in Iowa City. That has to improve in order to get to the 4-5 win mark.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

I'm hoping that Bell can play safety, and we may see some of our safety candidates move to linebacker. We would be smaller, but faster. I agree with your analysis. Areas of concern:
    1. Last season's coaching staff beat our guys down so much, there is an air of lack of confidence that this staff must overcome. W's do that the best.
    2. Putting in the defense has been a lot slower that Coach B anticipated. The coaching the last two years (or lack thereof) has put our players behind.
    We will need a terrific fall of practice to come out of the chute bucking. It can happen, but won't be easy.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

just a few things..neither hicks or spears are ready to step in and fill dedricks shoes right now, there's been other guys switching positions filling this void. and land and linder aren't on the team anymore..

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by delt4cy View Post
    Nice read. I agree with many of your points. I'm concerned though we are counting too heavy on a "new" coach and "new" scheme to improve the defense. At the end of the day we still have the same caliber of athletes on the field as we did last year. I want to drink the koolaid but I'm a tad hesitant due to my koolaid binge 2 years ago. I do like that Rhoads did not go the Chizik route and surround himself with friends.
    I made that mistake when Chizik came in, as I thought Mac wasn't a very good gameday coach. I thought for sure Chiz would make us a bowl team in '07 as would be able to take the same group of guys and get an extra 2-3 wins out of them. Instead we got losses to Kent State, Toledo, and UNI. Oops.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

All well said but as I have stated before I don't think we should be annointing Herman the savior of our team just yet. He has shown to be a capable and intelligent coordinator in C-USA but we have yet to see how this will translate to the Big XII.

Don't get me wrong, I will be pulling for him to be as successful as possible but I'm not expecting sunshine and lollipops in his first year.

Ash is still the best coach on staff in my opinion if only because he has shown he can recruit ball hawking athletes for the secondary. However, all his coaching abilities will go to waste without a pass rush. Lyle has great potential but I worry about the other three guys on the line opening things up for him.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by delt4cy View Post

Also, can Herman improve efficiency and play calling enough to improve the red zone %? That was a HHUUGGEE problem last year that cost us a Big 12 W or two, not to mention a potential different outcome in Iowa City. That has to improve in order to get to the 4-5 win mark.
    100% agree - red zone has to improve....

For what its worth, and its not a lot, but consider this......

In McFarlands high time for offensive coaching 2006 with Stephen F Austin, his offense had some incredible yardage numbers 2 receivers over 1000 yards, rb over 1000 yards etc etc but his red zone offense scored touchdowns only 36% 12-33 trips.

Comparing that to Hermans offense, which ranked tied for 17th nationally, the rice offense scored touchdowns 46-57 trips thats 80 percent.

ISU ranked 108th nationally in the red zone, scoring only 71% of the time in the red zone....thats scoring (37-52) and its worse for our touchdowns which was 26-52 for 50% (0-6 against EIU). So if you look at the numbers if we say we only improve by half from the previous capabilities, that would put us at 39-52 trips for touchdowns.....where would our record be with 91 more points for the season? I think the red zone efficiency will be greatly improved with more creative mismatches....

lining up in base spread offense against a team thats disciplined like Iowa will not bode well for your red zone efficiency!!!!! Change is needed.......

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

The most important things to me for this year are
    1. Experience: Our freshmen are sophmores with game time under our belts.
    2. Coaching with potential: We obviously don't know how our new coaches will do, but there is the potential (from past coaching) that they will do really well.
    3. The number of losses that were close last year: Tied with Iowa 3-3 at the start of the 4th on a rainy day. Loss to UNLV in OT. Loss to Kansas ten yards from FG range. Loss to Colorado with a goal line stand. 8 point road loss to K State. Any of these could be wins giving us a better (not great) record. Two wins vs four or five wins and we are not answering these questions as to why we expect our team to be on the verge of bowl eligible.

IMO

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 116

The offense will be fun to watch - I don't necessarily mean it will be good- just fun to watch.

The defense could be awful. I feel like we have another two years of recruiting to be adequate on defense - despite Burnham's past record.

That said, I do think we'll win more than two games - by out-scoring opponents, and big defensive/ special teams plays.

That is my lukewarm assessment. I hope I am delightfully wrong.

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

When dd Linder leave the team?

And

When does practice start?

I'll take a Jack & Hilton