Dam to Dam
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Dam to Dam

  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 7,331, Level: 25
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    223
    Points
    7,331
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Dam to Dam

    Anybody else running Dam to Dam tomorrow? Anybody else super excited for the Shrimp and Oyster platters at the post-race party?



  2. #2
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 272,593, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,900
    Points
    272,593
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 390

    Re: Dam to Dam

    A buddy and I are doing the 5k while my gf is doing the full. Last year was the first time we participated and it was a good time (the free beer after helped).

    I like that the 5k isn't until 9:30 so you don't have to get up at the *** crack of dawn like the people running the full do.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,718
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

    Re: Dam to Dam

    Making my first attempt at the 20k... Looking to have the best time/weight ratio of the 7,000



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  4. #4
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 251,686, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    17,874
    Points
    251,686
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,097
    Given: 924

    Re: Dam to Dam

    Quote Originally Posted by josier View Post
    Anybody else running Dam to Dam tomorrow? Anybody else super excited for the Shrimp and Oyster platters at the post-race party?

    My wife is running it which means I get to drop her off, grab McDonalds breakfast and then cheer her on. She also hates sea food so I'll make sure she passes it off to me :)


    @RandomGeoFacts

  5. #5
    Walk On
    Points: 7,331, Level: 25
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    223
    Points
    7,331
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Dam to Dam

    The early start is a pain, especially when you have to go downtown to catch a bus to the dam. It's even worse when you live 2 miles from the start but still have to go downtown. The normally cool temps are nice though at 7:00, but the run down 6th can get pretty hot with full sun and no wind which is what it looks like tomorrow.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 15,997, Level: 38
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    761
    Points
    15,997
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

    Re: Dam to Dam

    I was going to run the 5K but my daughter has a softball game at 9 Saturday morning. Now I have been conned into running the half marathon at the Des Moines Marathon next fall. I just picked up running in January and the furthest I've gone is 6 miles in about 55 minutes on a treadmill so I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the 13 mile jaunt. Physically it won't be a problem but telling my mind that I have to run that far doesn't sit well. Running takes more out of me mentally then it does physically.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 23,899, Level: 47
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 651
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,225
    Points
    23,899
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0

    Re: Dam to Dam

    I ran the 20k the last four years but have to skip this year because of an out of town graduation party. Good luck to everyone who's running! My only advice is to not eat a big breakfast and make sure you take care of "business" tonight or first thing in the morning. Lesson learned from my first year running it. Barely made it to the kybo at mile 4. I know, TMI, but you'll thank me.



  8. #8
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 272,593, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,900
    Points
    272,593
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 390

    Re: Dam to Dam

    Quote Originally Posted by clone4lyfe View Post
    I was going to run the 5K but my daughter has a softball game at 9 Saturday morning. Now I have been conned into running the half marathon at the Des Moines Marathon next fall. I just picked up running in January and the furthest I've gone is 6 miles in about 55 minutes on a treadmill so I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the 13 mile jaunt. Physically it won't be a problem but telling my mind that I have to run that far doesn't sit well. Running takes more out of me mentally then it does physically.
    The problem with the DM Marathon this year is its a day after a home football game. No way I'm running anything hungover.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 92,613, Level: 94
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,570
    Points
    92,613
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 216

    Re: Dam to Dam

    Quote Originally Posted by josier View Post
    The early start is a pain, especially when you have to go downtown to catch a bus to the dam. It's even worse when you live 2 miles from the start but still have to go downtown. The normally cool temps are nice though at 7:00, but the run down 6th can get pretty hot with full sun and no wind which is what it looks like tomorrow.

    Is someone forcing you to run this?

    Forgive me, but it seems odd (bordering on annoying), that someone would complain about an event they are voluntarily participating in.
    Here's a suggestion. Don't participate and then the rest of us don't have to endure the whine fest.

    (sorry…but this just really rubbed me the wrong way)



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 15,997, Level: 38
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    761
    Points
    15,997
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

    Re: Dam to Dam

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    The problem with the DM Marathon this year is its a day after a home football game. No way I'm running anything hungover.
    Shouldn't be a problem for me as I quit drinking last July. I've only had a small glass of wine on New Years since. It's amazing the amount of $ you save and how much better you feel every morning!



  11. #11
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Dam to Dam

    I wish I would've stayed in good enough shape over the winter to do this. I really had my running going on last fall!



  12. #12
    Walk On
    Points: 7,331, Level: 25
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    223
    Points
    7,331
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Dam to Dam

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post

    Is someone forcing you to run this?

    Forgive me, but it seems odd (bordering on annoying), that someone would complain about an event they are voluntarily participating in.
    Here's a suggestion. Don't participate and then the rest of us don't have to endure the whine fest.

    (sorry…but this just really rubbed me the wrong way)
    Wow. Sorry I rubbed you the wrong way. I really enjoy the event and running in the event, but it's not perfect. That's all I was saying. Leaving a crowded parking lot and dealing with traffic at ISU football games is annoying and a pain, but it doesn't mean I'm going to stop going to football games.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,496, Level: 61
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    4,218
    Points
    39,496
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 27

    Re: Dam to Dam

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post

    Is someone forcing you to run this?

    Forgive me, but it seems odd (bordering on annoying), that someone would complain about an event they are voluntarily participating in.
    Here's a suggestion. Don't participate and then the rest of us don't have to endure the whine fest.

    (sorry…but this just really rubbed me the wrong way)
    Maybe he enjoys running in races? Nobody forced you to read his post and get rubbed the wrong way.


    Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 40,970, Level: 62
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    clones26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,597
    Points
    40,970
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 35

    Re: Dam to Dam

    Quote Originally Posted by clone4lyfe View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem for me as I quit drinking last July. I've only had a small glass of wine on New Years since. It's amazing the amount of $ you save and how much better you feel every morning!

    See my signature...


    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra


    @cyfert26 on Twitter

  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 15,997, Level: 38
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    761
    Points
    15,997
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

    Re: Dam to Dam

    Quote Originally Posted by clones26 View Post
    See my signature...
    Yeah but the $600+ a month I save from not going out makes up for it!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM