Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Starter Wingback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    758
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Was anyone else able to hear Matt Perrault and Steve Deace on KXnO this morning (Perrault was filling in for Jon Miller)?

    Great job outa those two guys! I am convinced those two would make a great tandem on sports talk radio because of their tremendous knowledge of all things sports.

    Their discussion on major league baseball this morning was riveting stuff. When I was a youngster, I ate, slept and drank baseball but started to sour on MLB in 1972 with the first labor stoppage, got completely turned off with the strikes of the 1980s and have not followed the sport a lick since(other than a glance at the standings from time-to-time). I've got to tell you however, I really enjoyed these two guys' discussion on the various divisional races this morning. The amount of knowledge in those two noggins is incredible.

    Great job! If you want hard core sports talk, those two guys would be unbelievable together.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 189,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,874
    Points
    189,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    I think Matt is the first person that talked more than Deace.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  3. #3
    All-Star egami's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,944
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    If I had to rank them based on knowledge...it'd be:

    Deace

    Perrault
    Miller

    Deace probably knows as much as those two combined. I don't know what it is about him, but he has an uncanny knack to remember things over the years off the top of his head. Neither Perrault or Miller are as close in that regard.

    I prefer Perrault over Miller and I was big critic of Perrault in the Omaha market. Not so much for his knowledge as other things that I am not getting into here because frankly he is doing well on a fresh start here.

    Hi, Matt, btw...I know you remember me.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Was anyone else able to hear Matt Perrault and Steve Deace on KXnO this morning (Perrault was filling in for Jon Miller)?

    Great job outa those two guys! I am convinced those two would make a great tandem on sports talk radio because of their tremendous knowledge of all things sports.

    Their discussion on major league baseball this morning was riveting stuff. When I was a youngster, I ate, slept and drank baseball but started to sour on MLB in 1972 with the first labor stoppage, got completely turned off with the strikes of the 1980s and have not followed the sport a lick since(other than a glance at the standings from time-to-time). I've got to tell you however, I really enjoyed these two guys' discussion on the various divisional races this morning. The amount of knowledge in those two noggins is incredible.

    Great job! If you want hard core sports talk, those two guys would be unbelievable together.
    Deace knows sports history but very little about sports in general. It cracks me up how people mistake the two. Can you talk about something he just saw? No. Who really cares if he can spout Heisman Trophy winners since the history of the award? The dude would be good at Sports Trivial Pursuit, but that's about it.



  5. #5
    All-Star Cycloin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    1,058
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Deace knows sports history but very little about sports in general. It cracks me up how people mistake the two. Can you talk about something he just saw? No. Who really cares if he can spout Heisman Trophy winners since the history of the award? The dude would be good at Sports Trivial Pursuit, but that's about it.
    I disagree. Do you have any examples?


    You know what, Stewie, if you don't like it, go on the internet and complain. -Brian Griffin

    Somebody's gotta go back and get a ----load of dimes. -Taggart

  6. #6
    All-Star egami's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,944
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Deace knows sports history but very little about sports in general. It cracks me up how people mistake the two. Can you talk about something he just saw? No. Who really cares if he can spout Heisman Trophy winners since the history of the award? The dude would be good at Sports Trivial Pursuit, but that's about it.
    There is some truth to this aspect, but it's a bit blown ou tof proportion I think. The fact is none of the local personalities can do this to the level we've been accustomed to with former players that break down things on NFL and NCAA levels for major networks.

    I think Deace does a better job that the average fan I hear call in the post-game shows on either station. Perrault probably as well.

    Miller? I don't think so...I am still holding the fact he really truly believes that Tim Dwight would be a Heisman winner on a dominant Spread team had there been one in that era. Which is just an ignorant premise to begin with considering the number of WR's that have ever won it.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 119,463, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    balken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,657
    Points
    119,463
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Quote Originally Posted by egami View Post
    I think Deace does a better job that the average fan I hear call in the post-game shows on either station.
    Comparing someones sports knowledge against the call-in show caller is like comparing someones culinary skills against the fry vat guy at McDonald's.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 87,455, Level: 92
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,895
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,354
    Points
    87,455
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 28

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Did they talk politics??

    It's too bad Matt has a sports show at the same time as Steve Deace's political show.



  9. #9
    All-Star egami's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,944
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Quote Originally Posted by balken View Post
    Comparing someones sports knowledge against the call-in show caller is like comparing someones culinary skills against the fry vat guy at McDonald's.
    In all cases it's not...there are some terribly bad radio guys out there.



  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 10,631, Level: 31
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 619
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    khess83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Beaverdale-Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    589
    Points
    10,631
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    I think Deace's ability to recall historical events really adds to his ability to break down current events. If you listen regularly he compares current players to players from the past that most of us couldn't remember. Historical data adds relevance to any arguement, sports, religion or anything else.



  11. #11
    All-Star egami's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,944
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Quote Originally Posted by khess83 View Post
    I think Deace's ability to recall historical events really adds to his ability to break down current events. If you listen regularly he compares current players to players from the past that most of us couldn't remember. Historical data adds relevance to any arguement, sports, religion or anything else.
    Yeah, he does a great job of correlating history with current events to provide reasoning about his opinions.

    My biggest criticism of Deace is the "dude" thing.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 135,027, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,339
    Points
    135,027
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Ok somebody help an Eastern Iowa guy out.

    Is Deace the same guy that does the pseudo religous / political talk show in the afternoons on 1040?

    And the guys that do the Cy-Hawk show ... is that Deace and Jon Miller?

    basically is Deace pronounced "dase"?

    I get so confused with all these Millers and random other personalities.

    Its just the national Fox & ESPN guys in CR... unless the UNI-guy on 1540 counts as a local personality.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Quote Originally Posted by egami View Post
    If I had to rank them based on knowledge...it'd be:

    Deace

    Perrault
    Miller

    Deace probably knows as much as those two combined. I don't know what it is about him, but he has an uncanny knack to remember things over the years off the top of his head. Neither Perrault or Miller are as close in that regard.

    I prefer Perrault over Miller and I was big critic of Perrault in the Omaha market. Not so much for his knowledge as other things that I am not getting into here because frankly he is doing well on a fresh start here.

    Hi, Matt, btw...I know you remember me.
    There's a shocker.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    Ok somebody help an Eastern Iowa guy out.

    Is Deace the same guy that does the pseudo religous / political talk show in the afternoons on 1040?

    And the guys that do the Cy-Hawk show ... is that Deace and Jon Miller?

    basically is Deace pronounced "dase"?

    I get so confused with all these Millers and random other personalities.

    Its just the national Fox & ESPN guys in CR... unless the UNI-guy on 1540 counts as a local personality.
    yes


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  15. #15
    All-Star egami's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,944
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Deace and Perrault: Knowledge Overload

    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    There's a shocker.
    <3



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM