Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

O.T. Has anyone torn their MCL before?

If so, how painful of a surgery was it? Was your recovery time quick?

I did something to my knee a week ago, and the inside of my knee is still getting sharp pains. I have no swelling and it tightens up everytime I sit for longer then 5 minutes. I have a bad feeling after reading some things on the web.

Beat'm up Cyclones

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 563
    Given: 356

Re: O.T. Has anyone torn their MCL before?

I tore both my MCL and ACL...complete rupture of the ACL and completely tore the MCL off the femur.

You should know if your damaged the MCL severely as your knee will want to easily buckle inwards. It could very well be cartilege too...who knows.

My surgery may be different than yours as I had 2 ligaments fixed (plus a tendon, technically, as the graft came from the patellar tendon). So I won't comment on how the surgery or PT went. :)

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

Have you had an MRI done yet? If not, get it done, the longer you go on that thing, the more damage you'll do to the knee long term. I tore my ACL and waited 6 months to get the surgery. Doc told me I'm going to need arthoscopic every 5-7 years the rest of my life because of that.

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Together2813 View Post
    If so, how painful of a surgery was it? Was your recovery time quick?

I did something to my knee a week ago, and the inside of my knee is still getting sharp pains. I have no swelling and it tightens up everytime I sit for longer then 5 minutes. I have a bad feeling after reading some things on the web.
    First off, I don't think you need to include the O.T. on the in the title for the off topic board

If you have no swelling, I really doubt you tore something. I tore my ACL, some meniscus, and only severely sprained my MCL, so I'm not an expert on completely torn MCL's. I don't know what the surgery would entail. But, it's not the surgery you have to worry about..... they knock you out for that

Recovery and the accomanying therepy is what you want to make it. It's not fun, but if you go into it with the right mentality and attitude it isn't all that bad.

The worst part, at least for me, was the first couple of nights after surgery when you were trying to sleep and your knee is just THROBBING. I guess I kind of brought that on myself the first night, though, as I was an outpatient for my reconstruction

"I'm starting to think some Iowa fans heads are getting too big." -- Tigerhawk22

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 15

If there is no swelling I don't believe you have a tear, just a possible strain and in that case I recommend the RICE method, Rest Ice Compression and Elevation..
    What the Dr. is gonna have you do is take some etodolac or some kind of pain reducer for a week and if the problem persists then go and get an MRI.

Rookie
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the tips. I hurts like a mother if I try to turn it inward. I can't stretch all the way out yet. I'm going to give it another week (I go to Florida Monday) and I don't want any bad news until I return :)

Beat'm up Cyclones

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 934
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Together2813 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips. I hurts like a mother if I try to turn it inward. I can't stretch all the way out yet. I'm going to give it another week (I go to Florida Monday) and I don't want any bad news until I return :)
    The ACL is in the center of the knee and controls movement side to side. Walking/running straight ahead is possible w/ out the ACL. Heres hoping its a bad strain/sprain.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,327
    Given: 925

I've never had any serious knee injuries before (fortunately I've only ever destroyed my ankle ligaments), but one of my college roommates tore his MCL skiing one time (decided he was going to do a "sweet" jump, and instead failed and injured his knee). He had to have surgery on it, was icing it all the time, and spent 6 months rehabbing it just to get back to his "non-athletic" lifestyle. I'm not sure how much pain he was in, but it didn't look like something I necessarily want to do over a 6+ month time period...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,305
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 77

If you don't know what it is, go see an orthopedist.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,327
    Given: 925

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    If you don't know what it is, go see an orthopedist.
    Try not to confuse that with an orthodontist - the last thing that is going to help your knee recover is putting a shiny pair of braces on your teeth...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone06 View Post
    The ACL is in the center of the knee and controls movement side to side. Walking/running straight ahead is possible w/ out the ACL. Heres hoping its a bad strain/sprain.
    The ACL does not control movement side to side. The MCL and LCL control the degree of lateral movement in the knee. The ACL prevents your tibia from slipping in front of your femur and vice versa to a certain degree as it has some help from the PCL. Yes, you can run to an extent without an ACL, but you certainly won't be sprinting or running long distances.

To the poster, go to your doctor and have him/her diagnose your knee issue. He/she will probably put your knee through some range of motion to get an idea as to whether or not you may have damaged any ligaments, your meniscus, etc.

Last edited by BigTD; 05-29-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I tore my ACL and partially tore my MCL. The partial tare did heal on its own. But the ACL had to be surgically repaired.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 934
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by BigTD View Post
    Yes, you can run to an extent without an ACL, but you certainly won't be sprinting or running long distances.
    Interesting. I played a full football season without an ACL with the help of a brace. The fews times it gave out were excruciating and all due to intense side to side motion. Knee injuries and related rehab suck.

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 67

Earlier this year I believe I tore my meniscus. A lot of the same symptoms that you're saying. Never had a MRI done but did go to the doctor a few times where they did the range of motion tests to check for tears. They pretty much told me I had a partially torn meniscus and recommended physical therapy and not surgery. After my experience I can say that I would not recommend that course of action. It only worked as long as I was in PT. However my knee has gotten marginally better on its own, to the point that it'll only lock up on me after long trips in a car (which unfortunately for me is bi-weekly). So if you have something that you want to do before surgery I don't see an issue with putting it off a little, but by the time I finally get surgery it'll probably be about a year since the injury which I wouldn't recommend at all.

If you don't mind me asking what did you do to tear it?

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone06 View Post
    Interesting. I played a full football season without an ACL with the help of a brace. The fews times it gave out were excruciating and all due to intense side to side motion. Knee injuries and related rehab suck.
    Exactly, you wore a brace. I guarantee you would not have been playing without a brace on. I also guarantee the times when you're knee gave out it wasn't 100% due to side to side motion. Take a look at an anatomy book that has a good picture of how the knee joint is set up and how it functions. The ACL controls the forward movement of the knee. It's pretty easy to tell just from where the ACL is positioned in the knee joint. It runs diagonally behind the patella (knee cap), which happens to be the front of your knee.