Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

DRIcore Subfloor System

I looking to finish the basement over the next year and have a question regarding subflooring.

Has anyone, or someone you know, used the DRIcore Subfloor System? If so, has it worked well?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 303

Re: DRIcore Subfloor System

Quote Originally Posted by clintr View Post
    I looking to finish the basement over the next year and have a question regarding subflooring.

Has anyone, or someone you know, used the DRIcore Subfloor System? If so, has it worked well?
    The guys on AVS forum who do basement home theaters swear by the stuff. I have a new house and went two years with no moisture in the basement before I decided to build my home theater. I didn't use it because my basement stays dry. If there is any chance that you're going to have water issues, I would recommend using it.

Here is a link. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=13130290

They mention another product as well.

Last edited by dmclone; 05-27-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Is that the one that places a little gap between the floor and the subfloor?

I looked at those a bit, but seemed a bit expensive and I was a little concerned it would be a good enviorment for mold to grow.

If your basement is a little wet, I think really think the best option is bare cement or a throw rug which can be rolled up.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The dricor would actually prevent mold from growing since air would be flowing. It also makes your floors warmer.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I've seen mold problems in more than one implementation first hand. It's not a guaranteed solution in every basement, but if you don't have significant water problems...could be okay. It probably depends on what you are dealing with.

I am doing decorative concrete overlay in my basement. Nowhere for air and water to get trapped to develop mold/mildew problems and if I ever get standing water it isn't ruined.

Starter
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Can you give more information on what you are doing. I am planning to redo my basement and looking at option for the flooring.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the replies!

I have a dry basement.

I've had no water problems since purchasing the house a year ago. I live up on a hill so I probably will never be flooded, though one can never know when water will make its way in.

I have no cracks or settling issues in the floor.

I'm putting in a TV room, bathroom, bedroom, and small corridor. All other areas will remain exposed.

I thinking of installing this product directly on concrete, then putting in an underpad, followed by carpet for most rooms and hard surface for the bathroom.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the replies!

I have a dry basement.

I've had no water problems since purchasing the house a year ago. I live up on a hill so I probably will never be flooded, though one can never know when water will make its way in.

I have no cracks or settling issues in the floor.

I'm putting in a TV room, bathroom, bedroom, and small corridor. All other areas will remain exposed.

I thinking of installing this product directly on concrete, then putting in an underpad, followed by carpet for most rooms and hard surface for the bathroom.
    You sound like you have a similar situation as me. I couldn't cost justify it. If I was putting hardwoods in my basement or had prior water issues I probably would have.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If I remember correctly it was going to cost me at least $1,000 for around 800sqft plus all of my own labor.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Almost no basement finished floor other than glued on hard solid synthetic material (tiles, sheet vinyl) will work where there is an obvious water or moisture problem.

Because the concrete basement floor (almost always) is at a lower temperature than the intended room temperature and when the subfloor (Dricore included) does not have a hermetically sealed vapor barrier, there will be moisture buildup under the finished floor regardless of the material(s) used.

In the case of Dricore, unlike other contruction, it is possible to leave some gaps around the perimeter and provide a floor vent opening in the middle of the room. Then a suction system and duct similar to a radon mitigation system is installed to periodically dry out the underside of the subfloor using the benefits of forced air flow.

Just now (Jan. 2012) I am installing Dricore to provide "some" insulation over the bare concrete floor while not taking away headroom in the basement. I liked the 2x2 foot panel format where I could insert shims to fine tune the fit over irregularities in the concrete surface.

Last edited by ajaynejr; 01-09-2012 at 08:42 AM.