Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 983
    Given: 523

The Johnny Orr Project (update)

Thank you to the 33 members who have joined, as well as those who have joined on Facebook. This is a real passion of mine, and I hope that everyone will indulge me as I refuse to drop the subject.

I want to see Coach Orr honored in a fitting way by Iowa State while he can still be there to see it happen. Coach is 82, and while he still has fire like few people do, he will not be around forever.

My first experience as an Iowa State fan was listening to games on the radio with Pete and Eric, and eventually I came to look forward to the postgame interviews with Johnny almost as much as the games themselves. He is definitely one of a kind. Coach is the reason that I am an ISU fan today. I literally grew up watching his teams, and he gave me a reason to be passionate about ISU. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried throughout his retirement press conference. It was truly the end of an era.

If half of the people who enjoyed that era would sign up to honor him, I'm convinced that we would have thousands of supporters, and honoring him would be simply a matter of choosing the way. We need everyone to sign up....by signing up, it doesn't mean that you are committing to a donation of any kind. I fully realize that not all are able to give. It just means that you think the man is deserving of recognition. And deserving he is.

Thank you for your time.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: The Johnny Orr Project (update)

Anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	man-overlooking-cliff-laptop-horizon.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	5220  

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I just signed up. I really like the statue idea. I think we need to contact the University in writing and inform them of our intentions and see the response we recieve. Then we need to do some research to find out what it would cost and let the fund raising begin. I would be happy to help.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wallacelantz View Post
    I just signed up. I really like the statue idea. I think we need to contact the University in writing and inform them of our intentions and see the response we recieve. Then we need to do some research to find out what it would cost and let the fund raising begin. I would be happy to help.
    Thank you! I've sent an email to Jamie Pollard, but the formal letter is a very good idea. I will get to work on that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,165
    Given: 1,023

Let's do it!!

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,165
    Given: 1,023

For all of us that like to talk about how much we loved the Johnny Orr years, appreciate what he did for Iowa State, and enjoy the house that Johnny built, this is a great chance for us to step up to the plate and do something to back it up!

Oh, yes, this counts me. Johnny Orr's teams made me a Cyclone. Let's honor the man in time for him to know what he means to us.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Thank you! I've sent an email to Jamie Pollard, but the formal letter is a very good idea. I will get to work on that.
    I've sent two to no response:

Mr. Pollard,
    Thru some discussions with friends, family over the years, we have always thought that Cael Sanderson should have a bronze statue in front of Hilton.
    Unfortunately the current scenario might complicate that happening, though I highly commend you in your hiring of Coach Jackson.

It seems more fit to me now to think about a tribute to former Coach Orr. He embraced and touched so many of us Iowans for his countless work and tremendous spirit at ISU. To me, something like a statue, or renaming the court after him is a small price to repay such a great man, not only in the basketball sense but in the true Iowa State sense. Please consider doing something like this, and I can guarantee you, I will be the first alum to stop by with a check to help out. I don't think it would take you very long to find that many people who share my sentiments.

Every yard for ISU,
    John Kelly, 2005 alum

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have a question. I've heard some talk on here about possibly naming the street in front of Hilton after him. Is that not something that could be brought to a the city of Ames since it involves renaming a city street? If so, I'm guessing a few thousand signatures on a petition given to the city council could get that ball rolling. I'm just doubting the university will allow a statue or even put his name on the court. Johnny was and still is a great man for ISU basketball and he deserves it, but I just can't see them doing it.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by johnpkelly81 View Post
    I've sent two to no response:

Mr. Pollard,
    Thru some discussions with friends, family over the years, we have always thought that Cael Sanderson should have a bronze statue in front of Hilton.
    Unfortunately the current scenario might complicate that happening, though I highly commend you in your hiring of Coach Jackson.

It seems more fit to me now to think about a tribute to former Coach Orr. He embraced and touched so many of us Iowans for his countless work and tremendous spirit at ISU. To me, something like a statue, or renaming the court after him is a small price to repay such a great man, not only in the basketball sense but in the true Iowa State sense. Please consider doing something like this, and I can guarantee you, I will be the first alum to stop by with a check to help out. I don't think it would take you very long to find that many people who share my sentiments.

Every yard for ISU,
    John Kelly, 2005 alum
    I could see how the opening paragraph may appear like a little bit of a backhanded compliment. Personally, I'd just jump right into arguing about getting a statue about Orr rather than comment about the Wrestling situation, since there's really no need for it. The argument to do something for Orr doesn't need to have any types of supporting evidence or argument.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone4lyfe View Post
    I have a question. I've heard some talk on here about possibly naming the street in front of Hilton after him. Is that not something that could be brought to a the city of Ames since it involves renaming a city street? If so, I'm guessing a few thousand signatures on a petition given to the city council could get that ball rolling. I'm just doubting the university will allow a statue or even put his name on the court. Johnny was and still is a great man for ISU basketball and he deserves it, but I just can't see them doing it.
    I don't see why they couldn't put his name on the court. OSU did it with Eddie Sutton. I realize that Orr isn't Sutton, but Orr's era really put ISU back on the map and got a lot of traditions started.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    I could see how the opening paragraph may appear like a little bit of a backhanded compliment. Personally, I'd just jump right into arguing about getting a statue about Orr rather than comment about the Wrestling situation, since there's really no need for it. The argument to do something for Orr doesn't need to have any types of supporting evidence or argument.
    But to me, its how I've felt. Like it or not Cael is in the category with the greatest collegiate athletes of all time. He should be honored for that regardless of how we perceive him now.

It's an email that compliments, suggests, and lets him know I'm willing to pony up money. If more alums were like that we could get this stuff rolling.

Thumbs Up

Just joined on FB and I've got plenty of ISU alumns as friends so will sit down and spread the word.

I think the email to JP was a good idea, and I've never known him not to respond..so maybe he's gone fishing?

Pro
    Thumbs Up

But to me, its how I've felt. Like it or not Cael is in the category with the greatest collegiate athletes of all time. He should be honored for that regardless of how we perceive him now.

It's an email that compliments, suggests, and lets him know I'm willing to pony up money. If more alums were like that we could get this stuff rolling.
    Perhaps if the group would write 1 unified letter with all of our signatures, it could help.

Hell, maybe sending a check for a small amount to show we're serious would help also.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

I understand. The problem with that is Jamie Pollard isn't really going to care that much about how 1 person feels to be honest. Not trying to be mean, but it's evident he doesn't care as he hasn't written you back.

Something has to be written to persuade him. We need to get him to believe it's a good idea and what the benefits of it are. If we can do it as a collective, unified group, then we actually could get something in the works...

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think renaming Center Drive (the one that runs to the south of Hilton) Johnny Orr Way or Johnny Orr Blvd. would be a good idea.