Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Worship

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Tiger Worship

Just curious to see if other people are sick of Tiger Homerism as much as I am. It seems like the guy can do no wrong and I'm sick of hearing about his win streak. It's not 7 straight wins, it's 7 straight PGA Tour Event Wins. He lost a couple of other tournaments in the middle of the PGA Event streak.

I still remember a tournament last season in which Azinger was announcing and it was a windy day. Tiger's shirt was blown tight against his skin and Azinger couldn't stop saying "Look at that body, it's unbelievable" Talk about a Tiger Homer.

And another comment, they were talking on ESPN radio, out here in LA last week, on how his wife is pregnant and how he said he would leave a tournament if she went into labor. They couldn't stop praising him for it and how great of a guy he was. They went on about it for an hour and not once was there a mention about Mickelson and the time he lost the U.S. Open to Payne Stewart. One of the greatest moments in Golf.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Tiger Worship

As long as the greatest golfer ever is still playing, people will continue to worship him. He is a good person however, and while the constant talk gets annoying, it's good to see an athlete that's actually deserving of it. Athletes like him and Jordan and Gretzky and Tomlinson are once in a lifetime happenings.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post
    As long as the greatest golfer ever is still playing, people will continue to worship him. He is a good person however, and while the constant talk gets annoying, it's good to see an athlete that's actually deserving of it. Athletes like him and Jordan and Gretzky and Tomlinson are once in a lifetime happenings.
    I agree, but he isn't the greatest golfer ever....yet. Don't hand out the trophy until it is actually is accomplished. That's kind of my point. When and if he passes Nicklaus I'll gladly annoint him the title "Greatest Golfer Ever."

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I'm not sick of the Tiger worship. He's my favorite golfer, and probably favorite athlete. There's not a lot of athletes with the same mental toughness and strong work ethic. To me, he's already the greatest golfer in the history of the sport. No question about it.

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This guy is great, he is one of the only Goliaths that people still root for. I hate the Yankees, Duke, and the Pats, but I love Tiger. He is so focused and driven, but has a personality that just keeps you rooting for him. On Sundays he forces you to watch him, just to see what he can do next.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,077
    Given: 572

Tiger deserves most of the accolades that he receives. He is also one of the few star athletes that I would want for a role model for my son. He has great talent and drive, but conducts himself with class and respect for the game.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

The greatest Golfer ever ............A true role model... no drugs no bro attitude.... How can any one not like him!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 46

I think he's a fine role model, good guy, etc, etc... but yes I think the media falling all over themselves in love is way too much also. He's not a Saint, he's a great golfer of all things.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Personally, I think Federer is more dominant in his sport. What I'm not sure of for both Tiger and Roger is the quality of opposition. I think too many golfers and tennis players at the highest level make an extremely comfortable living and are fat and happy with that. They don't need to be great.

Nicklaus had solid competition for his majors.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 46

True, golfers could be much better at their sport if they were actually in shape like Tiger. The follow through is much easier if you don't have a beer gut getting in the way.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Tiger deserves most of the accolades that he receives. He is also one of the few star athletes that I would want for a role model for my son. He has great talent and drive, but conducts himself with class and respect for the game.
    I agree he is a great athlete and he completely dominates the game of golf. I don't think there is any way you can say he is the greatest golfer ever just yet. I think he will get there, but he isn't there yet.

Also, have you ever seen him throw his little fits on the course? I wouldn't exactly call that "class and respect for the game."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 265

When he wins 12 straight, then he can claim greatest. Until then, he is still climbing.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Some of you may not like all of the attention Tiger gets but he gets it for two primary reasons:

--He is the best, most dominant player in his sport by far and he will, barring injury or health problems, soon have every golf record in the books.

--His talent, personality and charisma transcend the game of golf. People that don't care at all about golf will spend a Sunday afternoon watching Tiger. This is why all of the tournaments pray he will enter their tournament (better gate, more sponsor dollars, and more publicity) and the networks all love when he is in contention on the weekend (significantly better ratings and ad revenues).

To me the most amazing thing is how level-headed he is. He had fame and fortune early and it did not go to his head. He is unquestionably a "quality human being" and kudos should go to his parents!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Tiger faces a lot better competition than someone like Byron Nelson ever did. I think he's made everyone work even harder on their game than players used to but he keeps taking it up a level so they still can't touch him.

Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post

Just wondering about the Tomlinson on this list. LaDainian? Not sure how he fits into this conversation, otherwise I agree with your opinions. Had to ask in case their is some other Tomlinson that I am unaware of from another sport.