Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 10,805, Level: 31
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    278
    Points
    10,805
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    How the Big 12 teams rank in revenue-sharing funds...

    Holy crap the little 11 is getting HUGE; the top 3 conferences are monsterou$!

    May 26, 2009 10:46 AM

    Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
    A hot-button issue in recent years has been the revenue disparity between Big 12 teams. Several athletic directors of some of the conference's bottom feeders have mentioned how difficult it is to compete with the conference's biggest powers.
    The Omaha World-Herald recently provided the breakdown for each school in the conference's 2007-08 revenue sharing numbers from those provided to the Internal Revenue Service.
    The total of $103.1 million places the conference fourth among the "Big Six" conferences that make up the Bowl Championship Series automatic qualifiers. The Big 12 ranks behind the Big Ten ($154.2 million), the Atlantic Coast ($137.6 million) and the Southeastern ($135 million) conferences in revenue generated to share with members.
    The World-Herald's findings indicate that $57 million come for television contracts, along with $32.2 million from bowl games, $27.3 million from the NCAA, $11.1 million from conference championships and $434,623 from royalties and licensing. The conference keeps some of the revenue to pay its bills, which is why those figures add up to more than the $103.1 million distributed to member institutions.
    The Big Ten is the only conference that shares revenue equally among its schools. It provided $14 million to each school during the 2006-07 fiscal year.
    The Big 12 schools divvy up all money equally except that which is generated from television.
    Half of the TV money is divided evenly. The other half goes into an appearance pool. The schools that earn the most money are the ones who appear for football TV games and basketball nonconference games. Credits also are issued for NCAA tournament appearances.
    Here's a look at the money provided for each Big 12 team.
    1. Texas: $10.2 million
    2. Oklahoma: $9.8 million
    3. Kansas: $9.24 million
    4. Texas A&M: $9.22 million
    5. Nebraska: $9.1 million
    6. Missouri: $8.4 million
    7. Texas Tech: $8.23 million
    8. Kansas State: $8.21 million
    9. Oklahoma State: $8.1 million
    10. Colorado: $8.0 million
    11. Iowa State: $7.4 million
    12. Baylor: $7.1 million
    Source: Omaha World-Herald
    And here's how the BCS-affiliated conferences rank:
    1. Big Ten: $154.2 million
    2. ACC: $137.6 million
    3. SEC: $135 million
    4. Big 12: $103.1 million
    5. Pac-10: $80.1 million
    6. Big East: $77.6 million
    Source: Omaha World-Herald


    Big 12 Conference, revenue sharing, Texas Longhorns, Oklahoma Sooners, Kansas Jayhawks, Texas A&M Aggies, Nebraska Cornhuskers, Missouri Tigers, Texas Tech Red Raiders, Kansas State Wildcats, Oklahoma State Cowboys, Colorado Buffaloes, Iowa State Cyclones, Baylor Bears


    Iowa State Cyclones

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 119,047, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,060
    Points
    119,047
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 88

    Re: How the Big 12 teams rank in revenue-sharing funds...

    Quote Originally Posted by 19Cy78 View Post
    Holy crap the little 11 is getting HUGE; the top 3 conferences are monsterou$!

    May 26, 2009 10:46 AM

    Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
    A hot-button issue in recent years has been the revenue disparity between Big 12 teams. Several athletic directors of some of the conference's bottom feeders have mentioned how difficult it is to compete with the conference's biggest powers.
    The Omaha World-Herald recently provided the breakdown for each school in the conference's 2007-08 revenue sharing numbers from those provided to the Internal Revenue Service.
    The total of $103.1 million places the conference fourth among the "Big Six" conferences that make up the Bowl Championship Series automatic qualifiers. The Big 12 ranks behind the Big Ten ($154.2 million), the Atlantic Coast ($137.6 million) and the Southeastern ($135 million) conferences in revenue generated to share with members.
    The World-Herald's findings indicate that $57 million come for television contracts, along with $32.2 million from bowl games, $27.3 million from the NCAA, $11.1 million from conference championships and $434,623 from royalties and licensing. The conference keeps some of the revenue to pay its bills, which is why those figures add up to more than the $103.1 million distributed to member institutions.
    The Big Ten is the only conference that shares revenue equally among its schools. It provided $14 million to each school during the 2006-07 fiscal year.
    The Big 12 schools divvy up all money equally except that which is generated from television.
    Half of the TV money is divided evenly. The other half goes into an appearance pool. The schools that earn the most money are the ones who appear for football TV games and basketball nonconference games. Credits also are issued for NCAA tournament appearances.
    Here's a look at the money provided for each Big 12 team.
    1. Texas: $10.2 million
    2. Oklahoma: $9.8 million
    3. Kansas: $9.24 million
    4. Texas A&M: $9.22 million
    5. Nebraska: $9.1 million
    6. Missouri: $8.4 million
    7. Texas Tech: $8.23 million
    8. Kansas State: $8.21 million
    9. Oklahoma State: $8.1 million
    10. Colorado: $8.0 million
    11. Iowa State: $7.4 million
    12. Baylor: $7.1 million
    Source: Omaha World-Herald
    And here's how the BCS-affiliated conferences rank:
    1. Big Ten: $154.2 million
    2. ACC: $137.6 million
    3. SEC: $135 million
    4. Big 12: $103.1 million
    5. Pac-10: $80.1 million
    6. Big East: $77.6 million
    Source: Omaha World-Herald


    Big 12 Conference, revenue sharing, Texas Longhorns, Oklahoma Sooners, Kansas Jayhawks, Texas A&M Aggies, Nebraska Cornhuskers, Missouri Tigers, Texas Tech Red Raiders, Kansas State Wildcats, Oklahoma State Cowboys, Colorado Buffaloes, Iowa State Cyclones, Baylor Bears
    You know, I think this actually takes away from the theory that the Big 12 revenue sharing agreement puts us at a disadvatage. We received $2.8M less than Texas. That isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the total spread. If I remember right we had like a $30M budget at ISU versus like $100M at Texas. Maybe moving to the Big 10 revenue sharing system wouldn't solve all of our problems after all.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 166,400, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,635
    Points
    166,400
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    ISU gets 7.4 million from Big12

    The World-Herald's findings indicate that $57 million come for television contracts, along with $32.2 million from bowl games, $27.3 million from the NCAA, $11.1 million from conference championships and $434,623 from royalties and licensing. The conference keeps some of the revenue to pay its bills, which is why those figures add up to more than the $103.1 million distributed to member institutions.

    The Big Ten is the only conference that shares revenue equally among its schools. It provided $14 million to each school during the 2006-07 fiscal year.

    The Big 12 schools divvy up all money equally except that which is generated from television......

    ....Here's a look at the money provided for each Big 12 team.
    1. Texas: $10.2 million
    2. Oklahoma: $9.8 million
    3. Kansas: $9.24 million
    4. Texas A&M: $9.22 million
    5. Nebraska: $9.1 million
    6. Missouri: $8.4 million
    7. Texas Tech: $8.23 million
    8. Kansas State: $8.21 million
    9. Oklahoma State: $8.1 million
    10. Colorado: $8.0 million
    11. Iowa State: $7.4 million
    12. Baylor: $7.1 million

    Source: Omaha World-Herald
    And here's how the BCS-affiliated conferences rank:
    1. Big Ten: $154.2 million
    2. ACC: $137.6 million
    3. SEC: $135 million
    4. Big 12: $103.1 million
    5. Pac-10: $80.1 million
    6. Big East: $77.6 million
    How the Big 12 teams rank in revenue-sharing funds - Big 12 - ESPN



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 272,532, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,501
    Points
    272,532
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 31

    Re: ISU gets 7.4 million from Big12

    Actually not that bad. I figured Texas got alot more than $3M more than us.

    That said...it should be split evenly.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 273,708, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,814
    Points
    273,708
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 907
    Given: 189

    Re: ISU gets 7.4 million from Big12


  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 89,121, Level: 92
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,338
    Points
    89,121
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 23

    Re: ISU gets 7.4 million from Big12

    Once revenue sharing began to kick in in the Big Ten, their conference (from a performance standpoint) has gone down drastically. I'd love to get the same amount from the B12 as Texas, but part of me thinks that the Big 12 would make less money if our money was distributed evenly.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 166,400, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,635
    Points
    166,400
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU gets 7.4 million from Big12

    I think it should be reversed like the draft in the NFL. It will help make the league more competitive and more fun to watch



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 35,699, Level: 58
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,308
    Points
    35,699
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 42

    Re: ISU gets 7.4 million from Big12

    Kansas 3rd surprises me.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 31,353, Level: 54
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,864
    Points
    31,353
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 2

    Re: ISU gets 7.4 million from Big12

    Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    ...but part of me thinks that the Big 12 would make less money if our money was distributed evenly.
    Not trying to argue, but you could explain your thinking?



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 72,045, Level: 83
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,105
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,459
    Points
    72,045
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 829

    Re: ISU gets 7.4 million from Big12

    Quote Originally Posted by 2forISU View Post
    Kansas 3rd surprises me.
    Why? TV for basketball.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 26,112, Level: 49
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,426
    Points
    26,112
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

    Re: ISU gets 7.4 million from Big12

    Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I think it should be reversed like the draft in the NFL. It will help make the league more competitive and more fun to watch
    If you did that, Oklahoma and Texas would leave the Big 12 so fast it would make your head spin. Why should the teams that are making most of the conferences money (through TV and BCS bowl appearances) receive the least of it? There is an argument to be made for distributing the money equally, but there isn't a good way to distribute it reversely.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 173,644, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,022
    Points
    173,644
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 25

    Re: ISU gets 7.4 million from Big12

    Quote Originally Posted by 2forISU View Post
    Kansas 3rd surprises me.
    Well their Football was on the upswing and their basketball has probably the strongest following in the B12.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 62,626, Level: 77
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Omaha Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,113
    Points
    62,626
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 76

    Re: How the Big 12 teams rank in revenue-sharing funds...

    To share this revenue equally then all schools would pull in something around 8.5 million(guessing).

    Losing 1.7 million is probably peanutes to TU, but to ISU(gaining 1 mil) it goes a ways to getting that endzone bowled in.


    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 129,825, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,643
    Points
    129,825
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 0

    Re: How the Big 12 teams rank in revenue-sharing funds...


  15. #15
    Pro LeSchmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,022
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU gets 7.4 million from Big12

    Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I think it should be reversed like the draft in the NFL. It will help make the league more competitive and more fun to watch
    Worst idea ever. What incentive does anybody have to win if they are going to get a lot of money. Lets try to keep in mind that the NCAA is officially a business whether you like it or not. In a way, that is the same with the bailout but I don't want this to go to the cave...


    @LeSchmick

    XBox Live: Le Schmick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM