Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 226

ISU - K-State Game

I for one am really excited to see the Clones play down in Arrowhead again this year. The Iowa State - K-State game is going to be a great one not just for the game on the field but the Friday night KC bars, Arrowhead tailgating, and hopefully the post-game celebration. I am really looking forward to some good interaction with K-Staters....and starting up a good rivalry with them. I don't think there is anyway that you can slice it differently, both our AD's at the time are looking for pumping money....and setting these schools up for some respect and a rivalry.

Now, I think that this entire event is great for both schools, and will be even better if each team brings in some nice records. My hope, is that there is some nice media attention on this game....and perhaps a rivalry with K-State will be born? I really think that we need one.

Missouri - could care less, they only care about the KU game
    Nebraska - has a rivalry with OU and CU
    Kansas - likes their rivalry with Missouri....maybe KSU
    Colorado - cares about Neb.

That leaves K-State here in the north that always gets "picked on" or disrespected by most, if not all of these schools. All these other schools in the north seem to have a rival. Yes, K-State has KU...but from most KU fans' mouths is that they care about Missouri more....heck the Nebraska game more. I think that this game could be a great begining on a good rivalry for the conference. I know that while I was in school at Ames.... I always hated K-State....or liked to beat them....Tom Asbury, what a fool! This could be a good love/hate move for both schools....especially in FB......we all know that we need to be "hating" someone more in the Big 12.....this is it.

I would like to hear some thoughts on this....plans for people that weekend...trophy ideas....(I really think this game needs a cool idea in this category.)......what you think is going to happen in the game.....percentage of people attending from both schools...why did K-State rip off the thunder cat logo?..........etc.

Go Cyclones!

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: ISU - K-State Game

I think we need to win the first one to earn some respect in the mini-series, and I think we have a great chance to do so this year. K-State has a new staff, a new QB, and a bad defense that will be looking to some JuCo's to patch some serious holes (Troy Butler, for example).

If the games are good enough a rivalry will form, but you can't force it.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,324
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I actually think that ISU will have 60% to 40% fan support for this game too.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISU_Alum_2000 View Post
    I think we need to win the first one to earn some respect in the mini-series, and I think we have a great chance to do so this year. K-State has a new staff, a new QB, and a bad defense that will be looking to some JuCo's to patch some serious holes (Troy Butler, for example).

If the games are good enough a rivalry will form, but you can't force it.
    Totally agree. Our Clones need to show up and win this sucker to gain some respect. I just hope something interesting happens during the game....ie a major scuffle, or the obvious, a last minute play to win the game would catapult this rivalry with K-State......where hatred could grow.

This is the year to do it.....K-State looks to be down. We need to take advantage.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 30

I am hoping for a well-attended (K-State and ISU), close game, where we come out on top. I think if its a blow out on either side or one half of the fanbase doesn't show up this will probably just fizzle out. I know I'll be there doing my part!

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 242

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    That leaves K-State here in the north that always gets "picked on" or disrespected by most, if not all of these schools. All these other schools in the north seem to have a rival. Yes, K-State has KU...but from most KU fans' mouths is that they care about Missouri more....
    Kansas will always be K-State's biggest rival. The one team they most want to beat, and like to lose to the least. It's like Iowa State - Iowa.
    Trying to manufacture a rivalry doesn't work.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Kansas will always be K-State's biggest rival. The one team they most want to beat, and like to lose to the least. It's like Iowa State - Iowa.

Totally agree with the ISU - Iowa comment. Of course that is who we are going to want to beat most in a given year. But K-State really doesn't have a rival after that....nor do we....unless you want to count Missouri.

I for one just hope that this event in KC can send a spark to both us and the K-Staters..... and some good football bragging rights could be born from this cool game in KC. I just hope both sides just get super pumped for this game...and the desire to win this one will grow.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Totally agree with the ISU - Iowa comment. Of course that is who we are going to want to beat most in a given year. But K-State really doesn't have a rival after that....nor do we....unless you want to count Missouri.

I for one just hope that this event in KC can send a spark to both us and the K-Staters..... and some good football bragging rights could be born from this cool game in KC. I just hope both sides just get super pumped for this game...and the desire to win this one will grow.

count me out as wanting to beat iowa more than anyone else. i would rather beat nebraska and colorado than beat iowa. until we as iowa state fans realize this hawk fans are always going to call us little brother. my question is why can't we just beat all of them?

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

K-State's 2nd rival after KU would likely be Nebraska. K-State used to be regularly thumped by NU (sounds familiar...) and finally got payback in the 90's and early 2000's. Since K-State has started winning a few against NU, the hatred between the schools has increased. Not to mention that Manhattan is less than 3 hours away from Lincoln.

Unless something happens during the games for a couple of consecutive years, where the game actually matters (not a battle for cellar-dwellar..), K-State vs. ISU will not become a rivalry as some would want it to be.

IMO the only way for us to pick up a rival is to start winning and make people want to beat us more than ever. That will start rivalries.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    False. False. False. True.

KU-Mizzou is a bigger rivalry than KU-KSU. Trust me. It's definitely not manufactured, either.

Last edited by kucyclone; 05-26-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Does anyone here think K-State will bring more fans to the game? I for one do not think so.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 221

We have a rival in Missouri that has been heated and debated in the past although its not a main rivalry, we have iowa, they have kansas and then ksu. So the KSU one could become a nice big 12 rivalry for us, but like its been said it can't be manufactured. I am really looking forward to the game at arrowhead and hopefully after 2 good years of games there our ADs renew it! Until then Telephone Trophy with Mizzou it is. Go Cyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,459
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 305
    Given: 137

I really don't care for rivalries. I want ISU to beat everyone. Of course they first have to beat someone.

Ya, it is always sweater to beat Iowa or NB or OK, but in the end beating Iowa and loosing to UNI is really not that great a feeling.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 38

Could give a crap about starting a "rivalry". If you want rivalries, start winning and challenging for championships and they will create themselves. That is how Colorado-Nebbie became a rivalry. Before Colorado got good, it was not a rivalry.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 7

Anybody else disappointed this isn't an end of the season game? Rivalries have to develop over time and a lot of that is determined by winning. But I do wish we had a traditional end of year game like most other teams in the country and I think KSU would be the perfect choice for this.