Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Camera question

It seems as if there are quite a few photography gurus on CF so I wanted to post this question to get some input on a new digital camera.
    We've had multiple Sony Cybershots over the last 5-6 years and been very happy with the pictures it takes. We don't do any exotic photography and it is almost all the "point and shoot" variety, but now the wife seems to think she wants an SLR because she could take better "action" shots at the kiddos events...
    I have no idea where this new found interest in photography has come from, but I'm looking for any advice anyone has to offer up. feel free to jump in on brands, models, or you can even help me talk her out of this...
    Thanks in advance!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,416
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 114

Re: Camera question

I have a SLR Nikon D80 and love it. Not to overly complex, nor expensive, but still allows for all types of shots.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I like Canon... However... My Rebel Xs is having an issue right now and it sounds like it will be going back for service (under warranty)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,087
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 46

Sony, Nikon and Canon all make pretty good DSLRs. I have a Sony and it is probably the worst of the three as far as picture quaility, and it has some flash issues the others do not. Canons are less than Nikons but more than Sony and Pentax. As far as point and shoot cameras or the mid-sized cameras, Sony and canon are pretty good. Nikon had some pretty crappy small cameras, but I suspect they have resolved all the issues. If you don't what a super small camera the Canon A series is a great value with a little more zoom than most in this class and a lot of shooting features. Sony and Canon also make some very nice super zoom cameras. A lot of choosing a camera deals with what you are planning of doing with it. Olympus is the only major camera maker I would stear anyone away from. I have used a couple of them and they tend to have bad shutter lag and don't take great pictures.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 657
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Try the cannon G10. Smaller, but with a lot of the features and optionsd

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 8

I have a Canon XTi that I love, but I don't use it nearly enough. DSLRs can help with getting better "action" shots, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll turn out to be great photos.

If she's serious about wanting one, you should take her to Best Buy or somewhere where she can pick up and feel the different cameras for herself. They're a lot more bulky and heavier than a regular point and shoot. The Nikon D40 is probably the most amateur-friendly DSLR. It's not super expensive (less than $500 I think?) but from what I've heard still produces good images.

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 572
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I just purchased a Nikon D60 a few months ago, and will never go back to a point-and-shoot. The picture quality is amazing, and the fact that I can fire of pictures one after the other with no waiting makes these cameras worth the money. Not to mention the ability to manually or automatically focus, and control all of the settings that the "old" manual cameras allowed you to control.

The new Nikon (that's replacing the D80 I believe) will also have the ability to shoot HD video from what I understand. Granted, that one's starting at just under $1,000 I think, but you get what you pay for in the DSLR space in my opinion.

Prior to this, I had owned 2 Kodak point-and-shoot cameras. NEVER by a Kodak. Not sure why I bought 2. :)

Anyway, I think it mostly depends on what you want to use it for. If you just want a small camera for some quick candid shots, then get a point-and-shoot (but not Kodak). If you want to be able to shoot in all light conditions, have amazing picture clarity, and have the option to manually control all of the settings, then you want a DSLR.

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

I'd make sure to do a lot of research before you buy anything.

Be sure to check out the latest generation of point and shoots (including the Canon G10). A lot of people buy SLRs just because they think that "bigger is better", when that's not always necessarily the case.

There's a reason the "pros" lug around those gigantic prime lenses with monopods even when they are sitting on the sidelines close to the action. It takes a lot of hardware to get really good "action" shots in sports. The minimum lens you'd really want in for something like that starts around $500 bucks or so. Throw in another 500-1000 (depending on how elaborate of a camera you want) for a body. Then you'll probably need new accessories. You're likely looking at around a 2k investment to do something significantly better than, say, a G9, or maybe an SX1.

I'd say it all depends on what you want to shoot, though. If you're never going to leave the "green box" mode of the SLR, and not going to be doing any or much post-processing, you're probably better off, in truth, sticking with a point and shoot, IMO. The latest ones have very little shutter lag, great features, and you can carry them around without having to strap things to your body. Not to mention they cost significantly less.

If you're wanting to learn how to be a photographer, more manual control (though most point and shoots these days offer reasonable control), and - the most important thing - to be able to change lenses, that's where the SLRs come into play. They also offer larger sensors, which is generally a better thing, but doesn't mean as much as you might think.

Edit: My recommendation is to take a photography class so that you really understand the fundamentals of everything and what you really need to get to do what you really want to do.

Last edited by jumbopackage; 05-26-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 733
    Given: 2,917

While cameras are important, I would also recommend going to a photography class, or learning some of the fundamentals. Just getting a nice camera doesn't mean you're a "photographer" - too many people with that idea are polluting what was once art. Just because you've spent $4000 on a camera doesn't mean that you know about composition. Learn some of the basics, like the Golden Mean and the Rule of Thirds.

M 7/09

Walk On
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

and where do you suggest classes around here?

I have a Canon SX10. I think it's considered semi-SLR. I use a lot of manual functions, but you can still go into point/shoot mode if you'd like.

It really takes great pics but because it isn't quite SLR, I'm not sure what type of photography class to take. i read books and online blogs and learn a lot, but think I could learn more with hands on instruction.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by b3r3m View Post
    and where do you suggest classes around here?

I have a Canon SX10. I think it's considered semi-SLR. I use a lot of manual functions, but you can still go into point/shoot mode if you'd like.

It really takes great pics but because it isn't quite SLR, I'm not sure what type of photography class to take. i read books and online blogs and learn a lot, but think I could learn more with hands on instruction.
    If by "around here" you mean Ames, there is a photography class offered at the MU Workspace this Summer.

Memorial Union

Walk On
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    If by "around here" you mean Ames, there is a photography class offered at the MU Workspace this Summer.

Memorial Union

Thanks, but I just looked at it and it says you must bring a 35mm SLR. not going to work for me... :(

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by b3r3m View Post
    Thanks, but I just looked at it and it says you must bring a 35mm SLR. not going to work for me... :(
    Yeah I just noticed that as well. Maybe they will have something better offered in the Fall.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 733
    Given: 2,917

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post

Memorial Union
    The Octagon often has classes, too. The summer schedule doesn't look to have any basics, but I would definitely keep an eye on the class schedule:

Classes

M 7/09

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

I think DMACC does a class or two.

Honestly, there isn't anything that's applicable to an SLR that isn't applicable to a point and shoot with full manual controls. Photography is photography. Aperature, shutter speed and ISO don't change dependent on how much money you spend on a camera (well, ISO maybe just a bit in the digital world).

And if they are saying bring your 35mm SLR, people better not be showing up with anything other than full frame digitals or film SLRs because everything else is less than 35mm :D

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com