Joe Mauer
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57

Thread: Joe Mauer

  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 63,043, Level: 77
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ficklone02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    City by the Bay
    Posts
    3,967
    Points
    63,043
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 67

    Joe Mauer

    Dude is straight raking right now. Only thing in his way of being a dominant player every year is his health. Should he and Morneau be hitting back to back now considering the fact that Mauer is turning into a power hitter? (Mauer on pace for 50+ HRs) Maybe Gardy should split them up, move Morneau back to the four hole, and place a speedy avgs hitter between them.



  2. #2
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Joe Mauer

    They are both sick, but I don't think you can say Mauer is on pace for 50+... He will hit in the 20s or 30s but give that another year or two... I think the way they are playing right now, you gotta leave it. If they start going downhill, then Gardenhire will switch things up, but if it aint broken, no need to be fixed.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 79,581, Level: 87
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,546
    Points
    79,581
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 79

    Re: Joe Mauer

    I believe Mauer should be a Cub...



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 28,729, Level: 52
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,021
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,764
    Points
    28,729
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 4

    Re: Joe Mauer

    Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    Dude is straight raking right now. Only thing in his way of being a dominant player every year is his health. Should he and Morneau be hitting back to back now considering the fact that Mauer is turning into a power hitter? (Mauer on pace for 50+ HRs) Maybe Gardy should split them up, move Morneau back to the four hole, and place a speedy avgs hitter between them.
    Who? Denard Span? If you do that your without a leadoff hitter and I sincerely hope your not suggesting Carlos Gomez anywhere but bottom of the lineup(if at all) at this time. The only real concern is having 3 left handers in a row but both Mauer and Morneau have hit lefthanders hard the past 2 years. Here's what I'd go with as the Twins right now

    1. Span - CF
    2. Mauer- C: Really like him here since the Twins lack a typical 2 hitter so you might as well not waste a batting slot at the top of the order.
    3. Morneau-1B: Could see the argument for Cuddyer here but he's merely a good hitter
    4. Cuddyer- RF: Splits up the leftys happy with his recovery from last year
    5. Kubel-LF/DH: Should see more time in field than Young
    6. Crede-3B: Meh, he's decent
    7. Young-DH/LF: Needs to pick up hitting, and pretty bad in the field
    8. Harris- 2B: better than Casilla at least
    9. Nick Puuuuunto-SS: Enjoys long walks on the beach, sliding into first base, and flirting with the Mendoza line every other season. Wouldn't mind Harris in the SS slot if Luke Hughes ever gets a shot at 2B this season



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 87,455, Level: 92
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,895
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,354
    Points
    87,455
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 28

    Re: Joe Mauer

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I believe Mauer should be a Cub...
    Nah, he can stay a Twin.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 63,043, Level: 77
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ficklone02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    City by the Bay
    Posts
    3,967
    Points
    63,043
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 67

    Re: Joe Mauer

    Quote Originally Posted by Iastfan112 View Post
    Who? Denard Span? If you do that your without a leadoff hitter and I sincerely hope your not suggesting Carlos Gomez anywhere but bottom of the lineup(if at all) at this time. The only real concern is having 3 left handers in a row but both Mauer and Morneau have hit lefthanders hard the past 2 years. Here's what I'd go with as the Twins right now

    1. Span - CF
    2. Mauer- C: Really like him here since the Twins lack a typical 2 hitter so you might as well not waste a batting slot at the top of the order.
    3. Morneau-1B: Could see the argument for Cuddyer here but he's merely a good hitter
    4. Cuddyer- RF: Splits up the leftys happy with his recovery from last year
    5. Kubel-LF/DH: Should see more time in field than Young
    6. Crede-3B: Meh, he's decent
    7. Young-DH/LF: Needs to pick up hitting, and pretty bad in the field
    8. Harris- 2B: better than Casilla at least
    9. Nick Puuuuunto-SS: Enjoys long walks on the beach, sliding into first base, and flirting with the Mendoza line every other season. Wouldn't mind Harris in the SS slot if Luke Hughes ever gets a shot at 2B this season
    I'm thinking maybe Lexi if he can get himself back together......I thought that guy would be Delmon when we traded for him, but he's been dissappointing.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 63,043, Level: 77
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ficklone02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    City by the Bay
    Posts
    3,967
    Points
    63,043
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 67

    Re: Joe Mauer

    Quote Originally Posted by TaDelt View Post
    They are both sick, but I don't think you can say Mauer is on pace for 50+... He will hit in the 20s or 30s but give that another year or two... I think the way they are playing right now, you gotta leave it. If they start going downhill, then Gardenhire will switch things up, but if it aint broken, no need to be fixed.
    Calculating the games he's played, and the games he has yet to play I'm coming up with 50+



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 58,811, Level: 75
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,239
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,499
    Points
    58,811
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 16

    Re: Joe Mauer

    Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    Calculating the games he's played, and the games he has yet to play I'm coming up with 50+
    Well, he's hit 10 HRs in the 22 games he's played since he's been back, a rate of .454 HR/G. The Twins have 117 games left, and, as a catcher, a high-mark assumption would be he'll play in perhaps 110 of those, if he stays healthy. So I'm getting ~50 more HRs, which means he's on pace for more or less 60, depending on the workload.

    You have to, however, consider the sample size. 22 games isn't much. And since his career high is only 13, I can't imagine him going over 25-30 for the season. That's still phenomenal for a catcher who can hit for average as well.

    And it's got to be nice to have Justin Morneau to protect you in the lineup.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 177,623, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hurdleisu24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,140
    Points
    177,623
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

    Re: Joe Mauer

    With the way that he is going right now the question I have for Twins fans is that when he becomes a free agent after the 2010 season will the Twins show him the money and keep him or just let him walk away? I've read where the Red Soxs and Yankees are thinking about giving him 20 mill a year can the Twins give him 15?



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 101,947, Level: 99
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,103
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,311
    Points
    101,947
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 34

    Re: Joe Mauer

    Quote Originally Posted by hurdleisu24 View Post
    With the way that he is going right now the question I have for Twins fans is that when he becomes a free agent after the 2010 season will the Twins show him the money and keep him or just let him walk away? I've read where the Red Soxs and Yankees are thinking about giving him 20 mill a year can the Twins give him 15?

    I think the Twins will really try and keep him. It could be part of the reason why they let Santana go. Mauer is certainly setting himself up to be one of the best players in baseball. I don't know that you could name 5 players that have been better than him over the last 2 or 3 years.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 41,415, Level: 62
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Wx4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,382
    Points
    41,415
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Joe Mauer

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I believe Mauer should be a Cub...
    Sorry...you took Pryor instead. How'd that turn out?



  12. #12
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 311,990, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    24,036
    Points
    311,990
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 770
    Given: 1,952

    Re: Joe Mauer

    Quote Originally Posted by Wx4Cy View Post
    Sorry...you took Pryor instead. How'd that turn out?
    Didn't Mauer go ahead of Prior?

    It is funny though how Cub fans (probably myself included) were really happy that the Twins took Mauer and we got Prior. We should have known Prior might be a jerk with that whole thing about him throwing at a guy in the on-deck circle.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 143,845, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CrossCyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9,388
    Points
    143,845
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Joe Mauer

    As a Sox fan, I hate Mauer, and I mean that with all the respect in the world.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 41,415, Level: 62
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Wx4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,382
    Points
    41,415
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Joe Mauer

    Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Didn't Mauer go ahead of Prior?

    It is funny though how Cub fans (probably myself included) were really happy that the Twins took Mauer and we got Prior. We should have known Prior might be a jerk with that whole thing about him throwing at a guy in the on-deck circle.
    Yes....the Twins took Mauer because they didn't think they could sign Pryor. I remember being upset...but I'm good now.



  15. #15
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 311,990, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    24,036
    Points
    311,990
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 770
    Given: 1,952

    Re: Joe Mauer

    Quote Originally Posted by Wx4Cy View Post
    Yes....the Twins took Mauer because they didn't think they could sign Pryor. I remember being upset...but I'm good now.
    Yeah, I think it ended up ok for the Twins.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM