Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Job search question

I'm on summer break doing a volunteer internship, and trying to find part-time employment. Places I'm applying at are asking for "personal or professional references", but not family or former employers. I understand the no-family thing.

Who am I supposed to put here? Co-workers? Do they want me to list other college students as these have been my only other co-workers, other than my high school job and I doubt those people remember me and I don't have their contact info. Academic Advisor? ?????????

The people who know my work and attitude best are 1. my best friends, and 2. my current employers.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Job search question

I don't think I would put best friends down. Friends of family are normally a good choice. Typically, you want someone older than you and/or someone with higher statue. It doesn't have to be someone who knows you like a best friend or family member. What is typically seen is pastors, professors (don't put down HS teachers unless they are also a friend), people you know that are managers or work alone. Again, it does not have to be a friend, just someone you know who is willing to give you a reference.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

You want to definitely have your current employers, along with, if possible, a professor that knows you by name, you've talked to more than 2 times, etc. I would suggest filling the spot with family friends (older folk) or anyone who can vouch for you in taking responsibility/leadership.

I will say good luck finding a whole lot of hours this late into the college-student summer jobs season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks guys...yea the search isn't going so well. Places I talked to a few months back said to contact them when I finally moved here, when i called about potential interviews a couple weeks ago they were all either in a hiring freeze or no longer hiring. And nobody wants to hire someone for 2-3 months, especially in this economy. Good thing my summer student loan was more than I needed and I saved up a bit from last semester's work.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by clone2011 View Post
    Thanks guys...yea the search isn't going so well. Places I talked to a few months back said to contact them when I finally moved here, when i called about potential interviews a couple weeks ago they were all either in a hiring freeze or no longer hiring. And nobody wants to hire someone for 2-3 months, especially in this economy. Good thing my summer student loan was more than I needed and I saved up a bit from last semester's work.
    I feel you. I'm finally starting to get a few meaningful interviews after nearly a month of nothing.

Thumbs Up

Put me down....I hook you up!

I'm on summer break doing a volunteer internship, and trying to find part-time employment. Places I'm applying at are asking for "personal or professional references", but not family or former employers. I understand the no-family thing.

Who am I supposed to put here? Co-workers? Do they want me to list other college students as these have been my only other co-workers, other than my high school job and I doubt those people remember me and I don't have their contact info. Academic Advisor? ?????????

The people who know my work and attitude best are 1. my best friends, and 2. my current employers.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What kind of work are you looking for? If you're looking for a part-time job, UPS is always hiring package sorters. They're also hiring seasonal package car driver to work thru Labor Day.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm applying pretty much everywhere right now. I figure part-time hours a week at minimum wage is better than 0 hours a week at $0 wage.