Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 411

Re: ESPN Article on A-Rob

Great article! I am ready for some football!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 14

Who the hell runs the option on the 1 yard line with 1 second to go? Gene Chizdick, that who. I don't know why but this article made me think about that.

I am expecting big things from A-Rob this year. I can't wait to see him on the field.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 48

Can someone copy and paste the story? I can't get the link to work.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    Great article! I am ready for some football!
    Herman's favorite player already. That is good news. If a guy with his MENSA intelligence is excited about all the things that A-Rob can do then I can't help but feel like Herman is going to show us some offensive numbers that we have never even dreamed of seeing ISU put up. Look out Big XII..... The Air Mensa offense is coming to a campus near you....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    Herman's favorite player already. That is good news. If a guy with his MENSA intelligence is excited about all the things that A-Rob can do then I can't help but feel like Herman is going to show us some offensive numbers that we have never even dreamed of seeing ISU put up. Look out Big XII..... The Air Mensa offense is coming to a campus near you....
    The problem is, will the defense?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And I'm thinking that cycofan just made the air, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'll be honest, Cycofan1 sounds much older than what he makes me believe on here.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I've been saying it for a while....the coaching staff is in LOVE with A-Robs. He's our #1 RB and will be unless he gets hurt. He's the best we've got, and if you know him, he's a hell of a representative for Iowa State. Good student, good guy, good football player.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    The problem is, will the defense?
    I am looking at it this way.... They sure can't get any worse. They don't even have to make huge improvements to play much better then they did last year. Tackling will be the key. I also think now that Chizdick and his crappy schemes are gone we can actually put a defensive scheme in place that we have the talent to run properly.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    I've been saying it for a while....the coaching staff is in LOVE with A-Robs. He's our #1 RB and will be unless he gets hurt. He's the best we've got, and if you know him, he's a hell of a representative for Iowa State. Good student, good guy, good football player.
    I like the passion that he plays with. When he scored that touchdown against Colorado last year and started doing those big chomping style claps you could just tell that he gets a little more pumped up then the average football player does.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 110

ANd to think that he had left the team. Thank gawd he came back, not that anyone behind him is bad, Im sure Bo and Schwartz are more than capable tho.

#BEATIOWA

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Who the hell runs the option on the 1 yard line with 1 second to go? Gene Chizdick, that who. I don't know why but this article made me think about that.
    I think the musical chairs Chizik played with the running backs was one of the most head-scratching aspects of his coaching staff. It wasn't like he would take a running back out when he was gassed. It seemed as if he pulled them as soon as they got into a groove running downhill.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,297
    Given: 1,129

Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post
    I think the musical chairs Chizik played with the running backs was one of the most head-scratching aspects of his coaching staff. It wasn't like he would take a running back out when he was gassed. It seemed as if he pulled them as soon as they got into a groove running downhill.
    It was tough to figure out.

"Nice play. Now sit down." (Metaphorically, of course, since they continued to stand on the sidelines.)

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post
    What did he do that made any sense? As far as I am concerned the only thing he did that was any good was bring in some talent and I believe he helped with the new uniforms.

Other then that he pretty much went rogue wallstreet CEO on the program and drove it straight into the ground only to be rewarded with a golden parachute from Auburn. They will find out the hardway as well when he bankrupts their program.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    Can someone copy and paste the story? I can't get the link to work.
    Versatile Robinson settling into ISU's new spread offense
    May 22, 2009 5:00 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
    Alexander Robinson's college career has been a testament to adaptability.
    Icon SMI Alexander Robinson led the Cyclones last season with 703 yards rushing.The Iowa State running back is playing under his third offensive coordinator in less than three seasons with the arrival of Tom Herman on Paul Rhoads' new coaching staff. But despite never really feeling settled earlier in his college career, Robinson appears to be better suited for Herman's new no-huddle spread offensive attack than any of his previous offenses.
    "I'm definitely excited about this," Robinson said. "We're going to spread the ball around. It gives us a chance to get outside and everybody is a threat on every play. It highlights everyone in the offense."
    The spread offense might be a great equalizer for the Cyclones, who have struggled matching up with some of the more talented teams in the Big 12 in recent seasons. ISU has lost 21 of its last 24 conference games and has finished in the North Division cellar or tied for last place during each of the past three seasons.
    But Herman's spread attack, keyed by quarterback Austen Arnaud, could give ISU a chance to at least make things interesting offensively.
    One of the biggest reasons for that optimism is the production of the 5-foot-10, 184-pound Robinson, who rushed for a team-leading 703 yards last season. He also added 17 receptions, including seven catches in his final two games.
    That strong showing, along with his quick assimilation into Herman's new offense this spring, has the new coaching staff buzzing about what Robinson can do.

"A-Rob has been a shining light," Rhoads said. "He's intelligent, he's quick, and he's strong."
    Herman's offense at Rice was one of the most innovative in the nation last season. The Owls ranked in the top 10 in passing, total yards and scoring.
    Robinson's early production in Herman's offense has the new coordinator excited about using him in a variety of roles as a rusher and a receiver. He even got some snaps in the spring game lining up as a quarterback in a "Wildcat" formation.
    "After being around here for a very short time, he might be my favorite player," Herman said. "And the reason why is the number of different things he does for us. He's just a very versatile, productive player."
    After averaging 97.8 rushing yards in the final four games in 2007, Robinson was expected to blossom into a dominant running back last season. He led the team in rushing, but felt he could have accomplished more after an early slump stunted his confidence.
    "I still feel like I've got to prove something," Robinson said. "Last season, I didn't live up to the potential I showed during my redshirt freshman year. That was a bitter disappointment for me how it ended. I feel like I need to improve."
    Robinson finished the spring locked in a tight battle for playing time that also includes bruising redshirt freshman Jeremiah Schwartz and heralded University of Florida transfer Bo Williams. All showed flashes in Herman's offense during the spring.
    Schwartz is the biggest of the group at 5-11 and 238 pounds, a player who can barrel over defenders as well as race past them. Williams was a highly touted recruit for the Gators who has yet to take a snap in college.
    Their usage, however, will not be dictated by game situations, Rhoads said.
    "All three are in the mix and will be used," Rhoads said. "They do have varying styles but not to where they are situational guys. If somebody is not fresh, we would run each one of them out there depending on their time to play. The possibilities are going to be endless for us."
    The Cyclones had a strong tradition of a tough, physical running game during Rhoads' previous tenure at ISU as an assistant under Dan McCarney. ISU had a 1,000-yard rusher in each of those seasons, including NCAA rushing leader Troy Davis, who led the nation in rushing in 1995 and 1996 and became the first player in NCAA history to rush for more than 2,000 yards in two different seasons.
    Times have changed and those big rushing numbers seem about as dated as the Bob Dole presidential buttons that were in vogue at the time. But Rhoads still believes that ISU's rushing attack will have a prominent role in Herman's offense.
    "I would argue that the running attack that will be produced in Tom's style of offense will be higher than it was at Rice," Rhoads said. "And Alexander Robinson will be a huge part of that."
    The Cyclones enter the season as the likely preseason pick for the North Division cellar after losing 10 consecutive conference games. Their 17-game road losing streak is the longest in the nation.
    But the excitement that Rhoads and Herman have helped pump into the program has Robinson excited about the Cyclones surprising some naysayers this season.
    "We've dealt with a lot of adversity throughout our careers here. And the one thing we've learned is to keep working and moving ahead," Robinson said. "With the new coaches, you've got to give a positive attitude every day and keep getting better. And that's what we've tried to accomplish this spring."