Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 305
    Given: 138

OL splits

I talked to the dad of a current OL at the CR tailgate tour and he said that the splits on the OL were going to be huge next year. I know TT does this and I remember Pacific beating an ISU team with this type of line play. Obviously this will require quick, lighter lineman to close the gaps and is sounds like the OL is getting lighter. What advantage does this really give a team?

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Re: OL spilts

1. it spreads the edge rush out away from the QB so it makes their job more difficult

2. it puts more pressure on the lineman individually because there is less doubling and more 1 on 1, and also gives the DL a bigger gap to shoot. (in pass pro)

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,794
    Given: 170

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I talked to the dad of a current OL at the CR tailgate tour and he said that the splits on the OL were going to be huge next year. I know TT does this and I remember Pacific beating an ISU team with this type of line play. Obviously this will require quick, lighter lineman to close the gaps and is sounds like the OL is getting lighter. What advantage does this really give a team?
    Typical OL splits are 1-2 feet wide (generally tighter on the interior, getting to be slightly wider on the edges). However, in the spread the OL splits are usually 3 feet wide or sometimes more, which is the basis for your question. Based on my experience, there are several factors for the wide splits on the spread offense. By widening out the defensive front, you create wider passing lines that don't require a QB to be 6' 5" in order to find them, as well as opening the middle of the field for a passing attack by forcing the DEs to keep containment on the QB/RB by lining up on the outside shoulder of an OT that has taken this wide split. Just as it creates wider passing lanes, it can also create wider running lanes for a RB on the sometimes rare draw play or inside zone by spreading out the defense to account for more turf. As an OL it helps make pass blocking easier. Almost every defense tends to make adjustments to their alignment for blitzes to make their success more likely - either by changing parts of their stance or their physical alignment on the LOS. An experienced OL can pick up on these changes and know what to expect based off studying the opponent prior to the game, thus in the spread these changes are more easily noticed because of the wide alignment of the OL. In general, the wide splits simply make it farther for a DL to go in order to get to the QB. Specifically as an OT, the wider alignment makes you job easier, as it cuts off the arc that a speed rusher could take outside of you to get to the QB. This allows for an OT to get into proper position to cut the defender off from the QB easier and quicker, thus allowing him to concentrate on the technique for the block. Also given the wide splits, the OT doesn't have to go as far to reach this cutoff point. As an explanation of the cutoff point, imagine a straight line from the DE to the QB; the wider the OL splits out, the more directly this line will go through the OT, meaning he is already in better position to protect the QB; the tighter the OL splits, the more he can run upfield around the OT to get the the QB, meaning the OT has to more farther and quicker than with the wider splits. Given that the DEs are one of the most athletic positions in today's game (ie: Carlos Hall - 6' 4" 265 lbs, 4.4/40, 450 lb bench press - also Jevon Kearse, etc), you want to give your OT every possible chance to succeed against a superior athlete.

The down sides to the wide alignment are that you are sometimes susceptible to a well timed blitz - especially up the middle. If a LB can time out his blitz well, he can be right at the LOS with a full head of steam at the snap of the ball (here is a great case for altering the snap count and a smart QB baiting him into an offsides call). At the snap, the interior OL has to slide to account for this blitz, or depending on the protection scheme, the RB has to pick him up. In either case it is alot to ask of someone that is already at a disadvantage - the OL mismatched on speed, the RB mismatched on size, strength, etc. In the running game, the wider splits vitually limit most of your options to the middle of the offensive set because the combination of lack of quickness and speed on the interior OL and superior speed and width of the DEs. The extra width on the interior splits can create additional area that an OL has to cover on a combination zone block that can allow a good DL to split the block and create havoc. Of course there are exceptions, such as the occassional shovel pass where the DE is baiting into rushing upfield, thus creating a void behind him and a running lane for the RB.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 187

Makes the defense cover more field. the thought is the DL will have to cover more ground from wider splits to get into the backfield. If they DL doesn't respect the splits, then we have a 300 lb OL hitting LBs and dbacks directly.

John Walters is my hero

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It creates throwing lanes for the QB, as well as running lanes for the QB and the RBs.

This is one of the reasons that QBs traditionally considered "too short" have been able to succeed in these systems.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    The increased spreads make the DE's start out much further and thus make it easier for the tackle to push them out of the way. Where as it does help for the DE's it puts a lot more pressure on the guards and center. I would expect that we will see more holding calls on the interior but I would hope that we won't see as many sacks from the outside.

I'll be interested to see what this does for the running game. One would think that those wide splits would be hard to run with. Unfortunately we can't get any research of this from Texas Tech because they haven't ran the ball in several years.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,288
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 79

I think Walden used to do this (before the really dark times). Blaise Brayant always had plenty of running room. Of course when you have Keith Sims and Gene Williams you can spread out.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,331
    Given: 932

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    The increased spreads make the DE's start out much further and thus make it easier for the tackle to push them out of the way. Where as it does help for the DE's it puts a lot more pressure on the guards and center. I would expect that we will see more holding calls on the interior but I would hope that we won't see as many sacks from the outside.

I'll be interested to see what this does for the running game. One would think that those wide splits would be hard to run with. Unfortunately we can't get any research of this from Texas Tech because they haven't ran the ball in several years.
    Barron Batch and Shannon Woods would disagree with you, as they combined for 1400 rushing yards this season (and both individually had more rushing yards than A-Rob this last year)

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    Unfortunately we can't get any research of this from Texas Tech because they haven't ran the ball in several years.
    TTU's top two rushers each had more rushing yards than ARob did last year...

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

I don't know about lighter OL. TT's OL was huge last year.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,378
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

3-4. teams with great LB corps have the best chance to counter this...or just real, real disciplined front 7.

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

Thumbs Up

I would argue big OL are just as "in demand" in the spread splits. As was mentioned, it's largely for opening passing/running lanes. Spreading out edge rushers, not so much...many of the QB option reads in a Spread Option are made off the DE or OLB. It's not like they're trying to make a pocket for passing, anyway. It's primarily about the lanes.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,794
    Given: 170

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    3-4. teams with great LB corps have the best chance to counter this...or just real, real disciplined front 7.
    by "diciplined" do you mean the defense has good instincts, and plays well as a unit?

or do you mean "diciplined" like gets suspended by the coach for punching a cab driver?

Either way, I suppose the Hawkeyes are covered.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    Counter what? The splits or the Spread in general?

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 67

If you want to see what it looks like (or at least how it looked at Rice), check out this link....

08 Texas Bowl game videos

The O-line splits are definitely noticeable & it's also interesting to see the offense in action.