Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 23

Johnny Orr Drive

This has been mentioned in previous threads over the last week and on KXNO's Murph and Andy that Johnny Orr needs more recognition in Ames and at Hilton Coliseum. Center Street currently runs along the South side of Hilton Coliseum and Stephens Auditorium. The name "Center Street" has no significance except the fact that it's the street that goes through the Iowa State Center. Lets begin a drive to rename Center Street, 'Johnny Orr Drive.' and actually recognize the tradition and personalities that make up Iowa State and Cyclone Nation.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,762
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 4

Re: Johnny Orr Drive

Good luck. I am not sure where Pollard stands on teh idea, but previous ADs have been unwilling to do so. Heck I was part of a group that included Jim Hallihan and several big money boosters who wanted to do that about 8 years ago and we got stuffed by ISU adminstration.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyeah View Post
    Good luck. I am not sure where Pollard stands on teh idea, but previous ADs have been unwilling to do so. Heck I was part of a group that included Jim Hallihan and several big money boosters who wanted to do that about 8 years ago and we got stuffed by ISU adminstration.
    Why were they stuffed by admin?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,762
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    Why were they stuffed by admin?
    That is the frustrating part, there never was a good or consistent reason behind it. Some of the names on the list involved donate 6 figures and more to the university and as a whole we were treated like crap. No one was rude, they just would not or could not tell us who to take the issue to.

Each time we got on someone's door they said it was not up to them.

Very, very frustrating. I think Johhny Orr Way would be great. That and a huge statue of the double fist in the air pump.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyeah View Post
    That is the frustrating part, there never was a good or consistent reason behind it. Some of the names on the list involved donate 6 figures and more to the university and as a whole we were treated like crap. No one was rude, they just would not or could not tell us who to take the issue to.

Each time we got on someone's door they said it was not up to them.

Very, very frustrating. I think Johhny Orr Way would be great. That and a huge statue of the double fist in the air pump.
    It's disappointing that we want to create a winning tradition at Iowa State when we already have one and we just need to recognize that it's already there. Perhaps someone should just put up a sign on Center Street saying "Johnny Orr Drive" or "Johnny Orr Way" and see if it is taken down immediately or left up.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,196
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 139

I think (pure conjecture) the administration is waiting for a "bigger" accomplishment. You don't want to rename the road every ten years because your coach got to the NCAA tournament.

John Walters is my hero

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycoCyclone View Post
    I think (pure conjecture) the administration is waiting for a "bigger" accomplishment. You don't want to rename the road every ten years because your coach got to the NCAA tournament.
    Looks like we will never be naming anything after anyone anytime soon.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 94

Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    This has been mentioned in previous threads over the last week and on KXNO's Murph and Andy that Johnny Orr needs more recognition in Ames and at Hilton Coliseum.
    More recognition would imply that there is currently any recognition by the city or the university.

Well then I guess they should name it "Eustachy Dr" because an Elite 8 appearance is as good as it's gonna get at ISU.

Johnny Orr is the Godfather of ISU hoops. If they're not gonna name that street after him, then no one will ever be worthy of that honor.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 841
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 2

Maybe each of us, instead of donating our small annual athletic department/school contributions (the case for the majority of us, I assume), should combine our contributions under CF and use the large combined total to gain more leverage for things like these.

When the CF masses get together, we won't be stopped!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 732
    Given: 491

I tend to agree with this. I mean, I understand the reason why Orr is as beloved as he is with Cyclone fans - because ISU basketball was nothing before he came around. But to me, a mere 15 years later, Orr's already starting to get that feel of belonging to another generation. Certainly, if an outsider comes in and sees "Johnny Orr Drive", more than likely they're going to say "Who the hell is that?"

I'm not saying I'm opposed to having a Johnny Orr Drive - in fact, I kind of like the idea and support it. But sometimes I question whether his overall resume here at ISU warrants it, and as such I'm not going to get all up in arms if it never happens.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,316
    Given: 639

I had a similar thought the other day (except I want a Rocky style statue of Orr's famous fist pump outside Hilton). The moderators are going to help create a social group to organize around finding a way to honor Coach Orr. Just trying to figure out what to name it.

Addict
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,276
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 101

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I tend to agree with this. I mean, I understand the reason why Orr is as beloved as he is with Cyclone fans - because ISU basketball was nothing before he came around. But to me, a mere 15 years later, Orr's already starting to get that feel of belonging to another generation. Certainly, if an outsider comes in and sees "Johnny Orr Drive", more than likely they're going to say "Who the hell is that?"

I'm not saying I'm opposed to having a Johnny Orr Drive - in fact, I kind of like the idea and support it. But sometimes I question whether his overall resume here at ISU warrants it, and as such I'm not going to get all up in arms if it never happens.
    his resume is that he made us more than relevant. He engineered the biggest home court advantage in the country, a legend that despite our dismal record at home the last few years miraculously still stands and is respected. He set the stage for Floyd and later Eustachy to cut the nets down twice. In the darkest days of Cyclone football we always had Orr's basketball and we knew that on any given night at Hilton ANYTHING was possible and even likely in most respects. There aren't many teams that can feel they are supposed to beat a team like a Kansas or OSU or Mizzou back in the day when you are clearly overmatched but that was what Orr brought us. We may get better coaches with better records and greater accomplishments in the books, but we will never get a coach as loved and as entertaining or as big a coup of a hire as Orr.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 732
    Given: 491

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    his resume is that he made us more than relevant. He engineered the biggest home court advantage in the country, a legend that despite our dismal record at home the last few years miraculously still stands and is respected. He set the stage for Floyd and later Eustachy to cut the nets down twice. In the darkest days of Cyclone football we always had Orr's basketball and we knew that on any given night at Hilton ANYTHING was possible and even likely in most respects. There aren't many teams that can feel they are supposed to beat a team like a Kansas or OSU or Mizzou back in the day when you are clearly overmatched but that was what Orr brought us. We may get better coaches with better records and greater accomplishments in the books, but we will never get a coach as loved and as entertaining or as big a coup of a hire as Orr.
    I debate this.

- signed Cameron Indoor Stadium, Dean Smith Center, Carrier Dome, Alumni Hall, Rupp Arena, Allen Fieldhouse, Pauley Pavillion, et al.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,276
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 101

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I debate this.

- signed Cameron Indoor Stadium, Dean Smith Center, Carrier Dome, Alumni Hall, Rupp Arena, Allen Fieldhouse, Pauley Pavillion, et al.
    debate all you want. it isn't a home court advantage if your winning percentage is basically the same on the road. Fact is we could win 1-2 road games a year with Orr and lose maybe 0-2 at home. THAT is a home court advantage.
    signed,
    Your Mom

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,196
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    What if, instead of renaming the street, we name a parking lot after him? instead of C5, I know park in Orr Place.....or something? Then we'd have a lot more things to name.....

John Walters is my hero