Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

ESPN spring wrap

Spring answers
    1. Austen Arnaud: It's not a bad building block for new coach Paul Rhoads to have the record-setting quarterback in Iowa State for the next two seasons. Arnaud had some growing pains in new coordinator Tom Herman's high-tempo spread offense and struggled at times in the spring game, but should be a productive weapon after working on the concepts this summer. And he'll have backup Jerome Tiller pushing him, especially after Tiller passed for 210 yards and added a 65-yard TD run in the spring game.
    2. Alexander Robinson: No player will flourish in Herman's new offense more than Robinson, whose running and receiving abilities are perfectly suited for the change in thinking in Ames. It wouldn't be a stretch to think he could contribute 1,500 yards rushing and receiving if he can stay healthy in 2009. He even lined up as the quarterback in a "Wildcat" formation in the spring game, giving rival coordinators something else to worry about.
    3. Enthusiasm: Rhoads grew up in nearby Ankeny, Iowa, and helped orchestrate an earlier turnaround when he served as defensive coordinator on Dan McCarney's first bowl team. So he understands what will need to be accomplished to help boost the Cyclones back into Big 12 respectability.

Fall questions
    1. Defensive speed: Rhoads was very frank about his team's lack of athleticism during the spring. Better recruiting and development will boost production in the new coach's particular area of expertise, but it won't come overnight. Trust me. And it will be particularly difficult with all of the talented offenses the Cyclones will consistently face in the Big 12.
    2. Pass rush: Rhoads is trying to transform his defensive front from a gap-control unit to a group that attacks opposing defenses. It sounds fun for the defenders, but there will still be a transformation for the group that ranked 95th in rush defense, 116th in pass defense, 112th in total defense and 110th in scoring defense.
    3. Help in the secondary: The Cyclones were repeatedly blistered in the Big 12, allowing 19 touchdown passes in their final five games. Top defender Leonard Johnson suffered a knee injury in the spring game, but should be ready for practice in August. The unit contributed three interceptions in the spring game, but will that translate into better play once the regular season begins?
    Big 12 - ESPN

Heavy lifting required for the new head coaches: Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads and Kansas State's Snyder probably have a better appreciation for their rebuilding jobs after gauging the talent of their teams -- or lack thereof -- during the spring. Rhoads vowed at his introductory news conference that his teams would hit opponents as they came off the bus. After only a few practices, Rhoads was blunt when he said his team could use extra practices and needed an infusion of speed to live up to those boasts.
    What we learned in the Big 12 this spring - Big 12 - ESPN

Also if you want a good laugh, you can check out all the Baylor fans that think they are going bowling and better. It seems I heard this a few years ago and they went on to be winless in the Big12.

LeQuese (Wylie Texas): I think Baylor has a legitimate chance to go 9-3 this year. We should go 3-1 at least in non conference by losing to either WF or UConn. Out of OU, OSU and UT we should be able to steal one win and we should win the rest. How do you see Baylor finishing this season?....

...Mike Yass (Joplin, MO): How can you predict the Bears to only go 5-7. Yes, they lose both tackles, but it's not like Griffin is a pocket QB. He rolls out nearly every time which will be better for breaking in the new OT's. While I agree that BU won't be knocking off OSU, OU, or UT, every other game on the schedule is winnable. 9-3 is unrealistic, but 5-7 would be disappointing. ISU, A&M, Northwestern St., and Kent State should be very likely wins. You only see the Bears knocking off one other team out of UConn, Wake Forest, Tech, Nebraska, and Mizzou? Come on, Tim. Bears will be going 6-6 or 7-5 depending on injuries and health. The seniors are going bowling.
    ESPN: Chat with Tim Griffin - SportsNation

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: ESPN spring wrap

Ha. I just read these and thought about posting them.

You left out the part where Tim picked us to finish last in the North behind KSU.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by St810s View Post
    Ha. I just read these and thought about posting them.

You left out the part where Tim picked us to finish last in the North behind KSU.
    Wasn't sure how to read that. The question was: "who do you think will finish last". Tim's response was KSU, but then he went on to say that he thinks KSU could squeeze out so wins that we can't. I assume that he means ISU in the first reference and KSU in the second, but it could be the other way- right.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    Wasn't sure how to read that. The question was: "who do you think will finish last". Tim's response was KSU, but then he went on to say that he thinks KSU could squeeze out so wins that we can't. I assume that he means ISU in the first reference and KSU in the second, but it could be the other way- right.
    I can understand how some expect growing pains from Rhoads as a head coach. I would hope they are not as large as with Coach Chizik, but they have to be expected. I say we finish between 4-6; most likely 6. I'm not doing this to be a downer, but it's just how I see it. Let's hope I am incorrect.

Walk On
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Rhoads seems to be the guy who doesn't sugar coat it. We obviously don't have the speed on defense we need so the question will be can the coaching staff to get them to play as a team to minimize their lack of speed.

Thank God we have the schedule in the south we have this year. That can only help our record. I don't think we will finish last in the North at all. More than likely, we will win some games we shouldn't and maybe lose some games we shouldn't.

Either way, I am too excited to start watching some football. Fall can't get here fast enough.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Baylor is going to go bowling. I wouldn't be laughing too hard at them.

Now 9-3 is a little extreme but they have the tools I think to eek out enough wins to end up in Shreveport at least.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 18

Our defense may have to rely on forcing turnovers in order to stop Big 12 offenses. That isn't a recipe for success. 4+ wins should be considered at least a marginal success for Rhoads's first year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    Baylor is going to go bowling. I wouldn't be laughing too hard at them.

Now 9-3 is a little extreme but they have the tools I think to eek out enough wins to end up in Shreveport at least.
    Not convinced they will. They should challenge for a bowl, but far from a lock.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

The exact same thread is in the Big 12 forums from yesterday fyi. -may add to the discussion.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

3. Enthusiasm: Rhoads grew up in nearby Ankeny, Iowa, and helped orchestrate an earlier turnaround when he served as defensive coordinator on Dan McCarney's first bowl team. So he understands what will need to be accomplished to help boost the Cyclones back into Big 12 respectability.
    This in incorrect. The rest of the article is a good read, though.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dustinal View Post
    This in incorrect. The rest of the article is a good read, though.
    I saw that myself, but I think I can let it slide. Too many people make too big of a deal about Rhoads being at ISU before, though he was a good coach, he had very little influence over the management of the team.

As for Baylor, if Baylor is going bowling, who in the south is staying home? It is virtually impossible for all the teams in a division to go bowling and I think Baylor is still the worst team in the south. A&M might challenge as well, but I've seen people predict a Baylor bowl game before and then watched Baylor only win 2 games.

Look at their schedule, I don't see 6 wins:
    @ Wake Forest- Loss
    Connecticut- Loss
    Northwestern State- Win
    Kent State- Win
    @ Oklahoma- Loss
    @ Iowa State- On the road, got to give it to ISU
    Oklahoma State- Loss
    Nebraska- Loss, but Baylor may have a chance
    @ Missouri- On the road, got to give it to Missouri
    Texas- Loss
    @ Texas A&M- Again, the three winable conference games are on the road
    vs. Texas Tech- Loss

Remember, Baylor has only won two Big 12 road games in their history.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 352
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    I can understand how some expect growing pains from Rhoads as a head coach. I would hope they are not as large as with Coach Chizik, but they have to be expected. I say we finish between 4-6; most likely 6. I'm not doing this to be a downer, but it's just how I see it. Let's hope I am incorrect.
    Calling for 6 wins w/this team is the polar opposite of being a downer. They COULD win 6 games, but I just can't see it.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Calling for 6 wins w/this team is the polar opposite of being a downer. They COULD win 6 games, but I just can't see it.
    The last time we went winless in the Big 12, we won 7 games the next year. Maybe history will repeat