AMES, Iowa – Iowa State men’s basketball coach Greg McDermott spoke with guard Lucca Staiger, who has returned home to Germany, Thursday. Staiger told McDermott of his intentions to return to Iowa State next season for his junior year.

McDermott Statement:
“Lucca and I visited several times in the last week about his plans for next season and I’m excited he has decided to return. It was important for him to sit down with his family face-to-face before making a final decision. We are optimistic about the future of this program and Lucca will be a big part of our success. The opportunity for Lucca to play for Germany this summer will only help him improve his game. We can hardly wait to have him back in the fall.”

Staiger Statement:
“After discussing my future with my parents over the last day, I felt the best decision for me was to stay at Iowa State. Coach McDermott and the coaching staff have been very supportive as I weighed all my options in the last couple of weeks. The chance to come back to play for a team which I feel will be much improved is very exciting. I am also excited to have the opportunity to compete for the German National team this summer. It will be a great experience and will give me a chance to play against high level competition throughout the summer. I look forward to seeing everyone back in Ames.”

More...