Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 366
    Given: 152

New KXNO Lineup

This discussion started in the Jon Miller thread but I think it deserves its own.

What are your thoughts about KXNO's new lineup?

Personally, I think all 3 shows are big upgrades from the previous shows.

Miller & Deace - Definite upgrade over Cotlar. I wish they had a little more knowledge outside of football but I also can't wait for football season to hear their thoughts.

Murph & Andy - I think we all knew this show wasn't going to be 100% sports but I find it very entertaining. Although last week when Hassel, Shawn Terrill (sp?), and Fales were hosting together I thought it was absolutely hilarious and wish those 3 hosted it together. Some people don't like them but I think its a nice change of pace.

Matt & Miller - I think this is the best show of the bunch so far. Lots of good sports talk.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: New KXNO Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    This discussion started in the Jon Miller thread but I think it deserves its own.

Miller & Deace - Definite upgrade over Cotlar. I wish they had a little more knowledge outside of football but I also can't wait for football season to hear their thoughts.

Murph & Andy - I think we all knew this show wasn't going to be 100% sports but I find it very entertaining. Although last week when Hassel, Shawn Terrill (sp?), and Fales were hosting together I thought it was absolutely hilarious and wish those 3 hosted it together. Some people don't like them but I think its a nice change of pace.

Matt & Miller - I think this is the best show of the bunch so far. Lots of good sports talk.

I would agree with everything. And to have a change of pace of off-sports isn't always bad. How many times can you hear about the same thing 3 times a day, if not more if you listen to Rome.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Aside from still wishing Chuck Reed was a part of the line-up no complaints on any of the new shows. Great job KXnO!

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Driving from Carroll yesterday I caught Fales and Murph and thought the fishing as a sport conversation was hilarious. The caller from Southern Iowa who brought up Whitey Tidies (sp?) was great. I don't get to hear Matt and Ken much but from the little I heard I enjoyed it. The morning show I don't get a chance to listen at all so can't really weigh in on that.

Addict
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,357
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

I can't wait until August. Once they have some real sports to talk about then that lineup will be great. Also I noticed that they have podcasts for most, if not all, of Miller and Deace (I didn't check the other shows). So if you don't wake up at 6:00 then you still can catch what was going on. I hated that before when you miss an interview you wanted and they wouldn't put it on the web.

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by PGreen ISU '92 View Post
    Aside from still wishing Chuck Reed was a part of the line-up no complaints on any of the new shows. Great job KXnO!
    I could not disagree more regarding Chuck "Everyone Else Is Always Wrong And An Idiot If They Don't Agree With Me" Reed.

Probably a great guy but man does he come across as an arrogant you know what - to me.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rdubbs View Post
    Driving from Carroll yesterday I caught Fales and Murph and thought the fishing as a sport conversation was hilarious. The caller from Southern Iowa who brought up Whitey Tidies (sp?) was great. I don't get to hear Matt and Ken much but from the little I heard I enjoyed it. The morning show I don't get a chance to listen at all so can't really weigh in on that.
    That caller was Chris Hassel....

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 16

Deace/Miller - I like llistening to Deace. He sometimes brings an angle to the discussion that you don't think of. May not agree with it but makes you think.

Murph/Andy (and Company) - Don't care for them and don't share the idol worship for Hassel that is displayed by many. Honestly, how many times on Sound Off and now KXnO will they have the "what is a sport" debate. When I am able I try to listen but find myself turning it quite a bit of the time. Like yesterday.

Matt & Miller - I have always thought that Ken Miller is the best sports radio personality in the market and still do. He knows sports - all sports. Matt - he seems to be ok.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 508

Matt's voice annoys the hell out of me but that's not his fault. Good show.

Legend
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 416

I'm just happy Tirrell is gone. He made the station "low rent".

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

I havent heard enough of the morning show to really have a comment, but like having the full show of Dan Patrick.

The afternoon show is starting to become like nails on a chalkboard. I actually turned to music the other day. I can hear people talk about nothing just listening to people around the office, no sense in hearing it on the radio.

Really liking Matt and Miller, they are digging into sports; local, regional, and national, a great balance..

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 142

HUGE upgrade in all areas. Very pleased (although I do get tired of Deace saying "we" when he is referring to Michigan).

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Murph and Andy - it too thoroughly enjoyed the high school fishing - is it a competition or not? - discussion when the caller called in to say his nephew has fish'n trophies. and it's okay for them to drink cuz nobodies cares. and it's tighty whitey, not whitey tighties or vice versa. FUNNY STUFF

Matt and Miller - great chemistry and Matt's a great replacement!!

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Miller & Deace - I wish they had a little more knowledge outside of football but I also can't wait for football season to hear their thoughts.
    Dont take it as a lack of knowledge. Take it as we both love college football more than any other sport out there :)

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

Thumbs Up

MILLER AND DEACE: When it comes to football, Deace is simply a walking, talking encyclopedia. As a huge college football fan, I find him a very interesting and knowledgeable host. There has always been something about Jon Miller that I like. He comes off as a pretty honest, down-to-earth sort of guy. There doesn't seem to be that arrogant streak in him that you see all too often in radio (believe me, I was in the business in my past life and met all too many of them). I do feel that because of Deace's love for Michigan an Miller's love for the Hawkeyes, they are out of balance on Little 11 versus Big 12 talk, but that hasn't dimished my ability to listen to and enjoy the program. The two of them have great chemistry together, which makes for enjoyable radio most of the time. Grade: A-

MURPH AND ANDY: I really don't know what to say about this show. It reminds me of two would-be jokesters standing around the water cooler at work trying to impress each oher with their perceived humor. I will say that last week when Murphy was absent and Fales had his round table, their discussion regarding good and bad interviews was extremely funny. I truly think you can do a lighter side of sports type of show and make it enjoyable, but these guys, all too often, are so way off topic I'm not really sure what station I'm listening to. Neither of them can do a compelling interview to save their soul. Some days, the show reminds me of when someone in grade school walked up to the chalk board and scraped it with their finger nails. Unfortunately for KXnO and its advertisers, around 15 minutes of their show is about all I can handle before I get embarrassed for them and turn the dial. Grade: D

MATT AND MILLER: The jury is still out on how well these two guys will work together. I always felt that Ken Miller was the shining light in the former Marty and Miller show. He is another guy (much like Jon Miller) who doesn't seem to have that super-charged ego, and I've always liked that about him. And he is very knowledgeable, although for my blood, too much of his knowledge appears to be centered around professional sports. Perrault has a voice that can wear on you, but he, too is a very well informed sports guy. Based on his past history, I would think he will do extremely well during college football and basketball seasons. For my tastes, so far I have heard too much NBA and NHL talk at the expense of local/regional sports talk. I can deal with a little of it, but quite honestly, I can turn to any number of national guys and hear the same banter only, in most cases, with more inside information. Grade: B-

Last edited by Wingback; 05-12-2009 at 01:50 PM.