Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,334
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Not too early Recruiting 2010 - wish list....needs and wants...

This is an incredibly early who's who of our recruits....

QB - obviously with the signing of Jared Barnett, i'm sure our qb class is done. With AA, JT obviously entrenched as starter and starter in waiting, and with last years Capello who i think is a sleeper recruit, we should be solid at qb. We're done at this position for the year.

RB - depth, with Robinson, Schwartz and Willliams, our starters are set. Last years running back class is solid as well with Blankenship and White, our RB position has some talent, size, and speed. Expect 1 recruit at this position. How bout Marcus Shaw....

WR - DEPTH...with the likes of Hamilton, Johnson, Darks, Jones, Carlson, Zitek and my pick for emerging star Lonzie Range, and last years coup on WR of Reynolds, Bellamy, Blanton, Jennert and Lenz this position has everything you need - Size, Speed and flat out playmaking ability. However, in Herman's offense and theory, you cannot have enough WR so expect 2-3. My top prospect would be Kevin Johnson because i think Prater will pick Oklahoma very soon. But, i love this staff is out there competing for their top players against the top teams - thats recruiting talent and necessary at the skill positions!!!! Two other players i would like to get Treyvias Alexander and Jarvis West (gitterbug).

TE - with Catlett playing his last full year, because of position changes etc, we have talent and youth at this position. With Hammerschmidt, Franklin, Ewald, Bykowski time will tell if other players are needed to fill Herman's view of this position. If any of our roster players switch positions, don't be surprised to see Jennert move into this position. How bout Chase Harper if we can get him back???

OL - Depth - is it talented depth???? With the staff speaking that our line needs to gel and they should be fine, i feel comfortable that our line in Bliel's hands is going to really evolve. Looking at Baysinger, Burris, Haughton, Hicks, Hulbert, Lamaak, KO, Spears, Stephens and don't forget Tuftee. Along with our incoming players of Lichtenberg and Moore, we sit in a comfortable position with our line. But, we will have a huge turnover in two years, so this class needs to target at least 4-5 OL. Names: Scherff, Kohler, Bolton, Mason Myers, and my sleeper Joe McNamara.

DL - ??? - my biggest questions have been with this group since GC took over. It seemed they waited too long to recruit this position. With Black, Alburtis, Lyle, Frere, Johnson, Parker, Ruempolhamer as our returning experience there's room to improve. But with the infusion of Laing, Maggitt, and McDonough this position has some young talent but usually in the defensive trenches youth is not good. One name i'm interested in and pointing to as a potential emerging stars is a JC undercover guy in Cameron Murray. This guy has all the physical tools, if Burnham can mold these guys into but kickers our defense will immediately improve. With only one recruit coming in Walter Woods and JC Taylor Martin, there will be a need for heavy recruiting here. Look for 3 recruits here. Names: Ryland Widener, Matt Hoch, Mason Myers.

LB - We have a lot of LB on the roster, but 6 are seniors. With the potential for all three starters to be gone after this season, we need to get a lot of guys time on the field and develop. Between Raven, Smith, Garrin, Schmidgall we lose a lot of experience. Incoming players Jackson, Klein, Knott, and Scott will have plenty of opportunities to compete for playing time early. I still look for Matthews and Hamlin to battle for PT but depth is needed at this position especially under Burnhams schemes of agile and aggressive LB. Look for 2-3 recruits here. Trevor Gillette, Derek Earls, Jeremy Tolliver.

DB - talent and youth!!!! One position that the previous staff went after heavily and thankfully is CB. With all world players Johnson and Banks, our starting CB are locked up. With Bell, Benton, Linder, McDowell, Sims, Smith our secondary has some serious talent. Maybe the most important aspect is having Chris Ash as this position coach. I think we will only have him for a short time because this guy is ready to emerge as a top tier coach and our secondary will be better off with him. Incoming players Reeves, Washington, Watson, and Broomfield, we have talent and youth - expect 2-3 recruits at this position. A couple of names: Adrian Bennett, Joshua Shaw, Damion Payne.

If we get half these guys, we would have a great class!!!!! I can't wait til fall!!!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 13

Re: Not too early Recruiting 2010 - wish list....needs and wants...

Wow, some pretty indepth stuff.

Good job.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I would love to land Adam Shead on the OL. He's got the size already (probably will even need to shed some pounds to fit the new staff's system).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Unfortunately a lot of those guys you can add to your "Dream list".

Guys I think we have a realistic shot at are...
    Kohler
    Scherrf
    McNamara
    Joshua Shaw
    Earls
    Harper

All of them would be tremendous recruits.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think you could add DL Mike Hardy to the list of possibilities. We have an in with him by getting AJ Klein in this last class. I would say he's a definite possibility, however unlike AJ, Hardy has been offered by Wisconsin.

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am really hoping Darks can help us land Chase Harper. I wonder if the new staff has been in talks of him. IMO he could be a big time player under Herman. I know some other schools are going after him hard right now.

I think Scherff has star written all over him and I think Kohler has the feet to be very solid.

Then of course we need DT, DE, and LB badly. Hopefully we sign 10 at those positions alone

I know I am in the minority, but I would like to see us sign another QB. IMO you can never have to many and with transfers, injuries, etc you need to have 4 to 5 on scholarship at a time.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,005
    Given: 2,154

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I am really hoping Darks can help us land Chase Harper. I wonder if the new staff has been in talks of him. IMO he could be a big time player under Herman. I know some other schools are going after him hard right now.

I think Scherff has star written all over him and I think Kohler has the feet to be very solid.

Then of course we need DT, DE, and LB badly. Hopefully we sign 10 at those positions alone

I know I am in the minority, but I would like to see us sign another QB. IMO you can never have to many and with transfers, injuries, etc you need to have 4 to 5 on scholarship at a time.
    We could offer a preferred walk on to an in-state QB like Haluska. I am not sure if he has Big XII talent, but I think he could develop into a good backup.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is one guy i think Hermans after - Jacoby Walker....Don't be surprised if we still recruit him heavily and if the commit comes everyone would be okay with carrying that many qbs.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recru...6season%3d2010

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

KMAC, do you have a blog or something that I can subscribe to? Geez. Talk about getting after it. I LOVE IT THOUGH! Got me jacked up for football season.

There are several "need" areas that have to be addressed and most are on the defensive side of the ball. I really hope this staff puts an emphasis on building stout defenses. DL is the hardest position to recruit, and I think you made a great point about waiting too long to go after the studs. We really need a great DL & LB class.

Also, I loved your point about the OL. We do have depth, but is it talented depth. Spot on.

Unfortunately, and this won't pertain to the 2010 class so much, but our young guys are going to get thrown into the fire with the '10 & '11 schedule. The '08 & '09 classes better be ready.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    This is one guy i think Hermans after - Jacoby Walker....Don't be surprised if we still recruit him heavily and if the commit comes everyone would be okay with carrying that many qbs.

Jacoby Walker - College Football Recruiting 2010 - ESPN

If we continue to recruit him, I hope it isn't as a QB. Didn't like the way he threw the ball. Never came off his hand with a tight spiral. Than again, maybe coach sees something in his delivery he can work with.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mizouse87 View Post
    I would love to land Adam Shead on the OL. He's got the size already (probably will even need to shed some pounds to fit the new staff's system).
    Mizouse87 - great pick with Adam Shead....had seen his info too, but, now see he's committed to Oklahoma - go figure.....

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Mizouse87 - great pick with Adam Shead....had seen his info too, but, now see he's committed to Oklahoma - go figure.....
    Oh I wasn't aware he had committed. Dang that sucks! He would have been a huge get. I knew he was a long shot, but I held out hope.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38

Great analysis.... I would add; however, that you left off Matt Taufoou (who has the potential to be deadly in blitzing situations) from the LB position, and Brandon Mims (possibly the best athlete in the 2009 recruiting class).

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Are these all 3 stars?

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

There's a lot still up for discussion in the D-line needs. Aaron Moore, one of the top recruits in last year's class, was promised a shot at DE. Scherff is also being looked at on the D-line. I think there's also the potential that we have some real talent in the RS FR class between McDonough and Maggitt.

Either way, we need an influx of talent on the lines. I'd like to see us get 5 quality OL in this class.

The biggest area of need by a mile is LB. There isn't a single scholarship LB here this spring that will be here in the fall of 2010. Taufoo, Jackson, Knott, and Klein are all coming in, but we probably need a couple of JUCOs and a couple of talented HS kids as well. Too bad Mike Marry signed with the degenerates...