Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Did Chizik help the program?

Are we better off now, than if Chizik had never come to Iowa State? In my view we have picked up some strong personel, but have lost two years of coaching.(poor as it was). And we did seem to get it right this time. I'd like others thoughts.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 14

Re: Did Chizik help the program?

Recruiting is better. Fundamentally better is questionable because the coaching was brutal.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

too soon to tell 4 me -- ask me in 2-3 years.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I would say yes. I am expecting to win some games this year. When cheeze got here I wasn't. I think he got better players.

KCy

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is very difficult for any coach to better a program in only 2 years. Due to loss of recruits, player turn-over, and players having to adjust to new systems any coaching turnover naturally does some damage. Any good he did by bringing in some young talented players was undone by this natural damage in the coaching turnover itself. That being said, I am extremely excited about the future of Iowa State Football. Coach Rhoads has brought in assistant coaches that are a HUGE step-up from the Chizik coaching staff. This will pay huge dividends down the road. I also love the young talent on this team.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Are we better off now, than if Chizik had never come to Iowa State? In my view we have picked up some strong personel, but have lost two years of coaching.(poor as it was). And we did seem to get it right this time. I'd like others thoughts.
    Difficult question to answer. Who's to say that whatever other coach we hired two years ago wouldn't have brought better yet players in, and more of them?

I agree with most of the other posters. The talent is up, the coaching was questionable.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 05-11-2009 at 01:53 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,101
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

We probably have better skilled players......more speed, etc. But, I don't think our linemen are as good as before Chiz arrived.

Overall, I would say consistency is a huge factor to a program's success. Chizik did anything but provide consistency. I think, knowing what I know now, that I would have preferred to have gone straight from Danny Mac to PR.

Guess it really doesn't matter......this is where we're at, we have to address the situation as it is, regardless of what has transpired before.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Under Chizik:

Recruiting = Very Good
    Coaching, Sunday -> Friday = Questionable
    Coaching, Game Day = Total Disaster

The recruiting from the last two years has brought us some quality athletes that will certainly help us over the next few years.

Unfortunately, the results on the field were so poor that the overall health of the program declined.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 22

It will be hard to tell how well the line is upgraded as the ones he brought in will be sophs or RsF this year. Some of the young guys got some good PT last year, so we should have a better idea next year...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

History is probably going to show that our recruiting picked up under Chizik. Just looking at schools that we were up against is a good indicator of the different talent we were going after.

So the talent is there. However, it appears the fundamental teaching was not. Something Rhoads seems to have put an emphasis on. I think the perfect example of this was Leonard Johnson. Chizik recruited a great athlete who played quarterback in high school and moved him to corner. This kid cannot be expected to know how to tackle properly. The fact that Chizik's staff did not address the issue astounds me.

However, I do think Chizik would have had some success here if he had stayed this offseason and brought in coordinators that were actually accomplished (Malzahn, Herman, etc) rather than his friends. Alas, I think he would have mortgaged the long term health of the program for a few good years so he could leave and the coordinators could too.

Also do not overlook the "reboot" this did of Cyclone Football. More marketing, more enthusiasm, different gameday environment, etc.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,610
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    History is probably going to show that our recruiting picked up under Chizik. Just looking at schools that we were up against is a good indicator of the different talent we were going after.

So the talent is there. However, it appears the fundamental teaching was not. Something Rhoads seems to have put an emphasis on. I think the perfect example of this was Leonard Johnson. Chizik recruited a great athlete who played quarterback in high school and moved him to corner. This kid cannot be expected to know how to tackle properly. The fact that Chizik's staff did not address the issue astounds me.

However, I do think Chizik would have had some success here if he had stayed this offseason and brought in coordinators that were actually accomplished (Malzahn, Herman, etc) rather than his friends. Alas, I think he would have mortgaged the long term health of the program for a few good years so he could leave and the coordinators could too.

Also do not overlook the "reboot" this did of Cyclone Football. More marketing, more enthusiasm, different gameday environment, etc.
    Lots of great points in all the posts...your point about new coordinators is spot on. Chizik was bringing in both a new OC and DC and would have been starting over in a lot of ways. We gave him his education on the importance of qualified asst. coaches vs. your buddies.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by ISU_phoria View Post
    We probably have better skilled players......more speed, etc. But, I don't think our linemen are as good as before Chiz arrived.

Overall, I would say consistency is a huge factor to a program's success. Chizik did anything but provide consistency. I think, knowing what I know now, that I would have preferred to have gone straight from Danny Mac to PR.

Guess it really doesn't matter......this is where we're at, we have to address the situation as it is, regardless of what has transpired before.
    Hard to tell at this point b/c lineman don't see the field as quickly as skilled players typically do. BUT, Haughton, KO, Rump, Burris, Black, all appear to be pretty decent talent. I think this is a push from when he came in here. Wasn't good when he got here and still isn't very good

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 966
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 15

The best thing that GC may be remembered for is being a good bridge between the Mac era and hopefully a highly successful CPR era. It would have been impossible to have CPR take over directly for Mac, so Chiz was a nice buffer. And he seems to have been able to bring in some young talent that will hopefully stick around.

It was great luck to have Auburn take him off our hands. If he would have had one successful season, he would have bolted anyway, and we would be lamenting the loss and back at rebuilding. The short 2 year stint means we are still in rebuild mode and not that many fans lament his departure.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,458
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 46

I don't know if he made the team better as a whole, but in my opinion he did 3 things:

1. Brought in some good talent in guys like LJ, Darks, and SJ, etc.
    2. Cemented the team together, for the most part, when he pulled a Chizik and left town.
    3. Gave the team a hunger to work hard and prove that they are better than a 5-19 team.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

On paper his recruiting wasn't better than the coach before him. Mac had the 42nd, 58th, and 63rd ranked classes in his last 3 years. Chizik had the 60th and 62nd ranked classes. There seems to be some young talent but with the exception of Leonard Johnson most of them have yet to prove it on the field. Just look at the wide receivers. The young players look capable but the best receiver ISU had last year was a senior. If the young talent can step up this year and stop dropping balls then Chizik's class will start looking better. But it takes years to judge what a coach can do for a program and Chizik didn't serve enough time to qualify.