Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 170

Siding Questions

Ok Cyclone Nation, any time I have ever needed help everyone has been there with information and insight that has been more than helpful.

I bought an older (1921) home a couple of years ago and the wood siding is looking like crap. The siding itself is in ok condition, but the paint is bad. After looking into painting it, it seems like it's gonna cost me about $3000-4000 with supplies and what type of paint I go with. Thus, siding seems to be the smarter way to go.

What type of siding would you recommend? Hardiplank, vinyl... Do you have to paint hardiplank? Any other options?

If I go with siding do I rip the wood off and tyvek it? My heating costs are quite high... Are there any rebates for making the home more energy efficient?

I'm up in arms, don't know what to do. Is siding something I can do by myself? Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to contract that out?

I try to help others out when I know any valuable information... I would appreciate any info that might help.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Addict
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

Re: Siding Questions

It depends on what type of paint is on it. Since it is that old it likely has lead based paint. If that is the case I would go vinyl siding and put it over the top of the old.

It will cost quite a bit to either re paint it or remove it if it has lead based on it now.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 23

I gotta say from my one summer stint as a homeowners insurance adjuster... In my opinion far and away the best stuff is the Hardiplank style siding. The kicker is that will be hugely expensive to do compared to your other options. I was always impressed with how well that stuff holds up against the elements when everything else fails. Also, I'm just not a fan of the vinyl siding it looks cheap when you get up close to it imho.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

My parents house got redone with Hardiplank last summer. It turned out really nice and I would definitely recommend it from an aesthetics standpoint. They had it done by a contractor, so I can't comment on the installation, but I do know that you can get it prepainted.

It's going to cost a lot more than 3-4k to reside your house. Are you just thinking it's a better investment?

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Ok Cyclone Nation, any time I have ever needed help everyone has been there with information and insight that has been more than helpful.

I bought an older (1921) home a couple of years ago and the wood siding is looking like crap. The siding itself is in ok condition, but the paint is bad. After looking into painting it, it seems like it's gonna cost me about $3000-4000 with supplies and what type of paint I go with. Thus, siding seems to be the smarter way to go.

What type of siding would you recommend? Hardiplank, vinyl... Do you have to paint hardiplank? Any other options?

If I go with siding do I rip the wood off and tyvek it? My heating costs are quite high... Are there any rebates for making the home more energy efficient?

I'm up in arms, don't know what to do. Is siding something I can do by myself? Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to contract that out?

I try to help others out when I know any valuable information... I would appreciate any info that might help.
    A siding job with Hardiplank will be very expensive, even compared to vinyl. It is harder to work with, to cut, and is very heavy, so more time consuming to apply. That being said, it is the best other than brick.

How long do you plan on staying in your home?? That might answer your question.

Get a bad vinyl job, and it can look cheap as well. Does your neighborhood have a lot of nicely painted homes, or converted to sidiing??

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

Hardiplank is only worth it if your going to be there a long long looong time or you have a very expensive house. My 2500 sq ft 200k house was going to cost 8-15k for vinyl (big range depending on quality of siding and installer) but a touch over 30k for hardiplank. Thats a big note to tote and unless you have a lot of equity to borrow out, probably unaffordable to most anyway.

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,216
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

All the homes in my neighborhood have ripped the old wood siding off and switched to vinyl. This is one of the main reasons I bought the home, because it was the cheapest and least renovated in a very nice neighborhood. Hoping to make a bit of profit when I leave. I only plan to be around another 5 years or so, so it sounds like hardiplank isn't worth the investment.

-acgclone

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Go vinyl and install it yourself. I'm one of the least handy people on earth and I've sided three houses.
    Definitely have to rip the wood off and Tyvek it. My dad and I did a house in little over a weekend, depending on how big your house is and if you know anyone with slight knowledge of siding you can get done on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,216
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    Go vinyl and install it yourself. I'm one of the least handy people on earth and I've sided three houses.
    Definitely have to rip the wood off and Tyvek it. My dad and I did a house in little over a weekend, depending on how big your house is and if you know anyone with slight knowledge of siding you can get done on the cheap.
    This was my original plan.

-acgclone

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    I'm one of the least handy people on earth
    Truly shocking

Addict
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    This was my original plan.
    Siding is very easy to install with someone to help you out. If your home was built in 1921 you may want to look into added insulation.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Truly shocking
    Man, that hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I have a house built in 1955 and am having the same dilema. Have two wooden exterior windows that have pretty much rotted out (one is already patched - poorly). It has aluminum siding that I painted when I first moved it but is showing age with dents and such, plus my wife wants a different color. Back door is starting to rot on the threshhold and both screen doors have had it. I have the least efficient windows since they started making them in glass, and there's near no insulation in the walls.

My idea (wish) is to rip of the aluminum, rip off the wood siding that appears to be underneath, and then blow in insulation and replace the windows & doors, wrap in tyvek, reside with hardiplank and maybe even Aztec for the trim.

12 double hung, 1 picture and 2 doors. Haven't done the math yet on siding, but the house is 1100 sq ft with on brick veneered wall and 3 gables.

Anyone have any experience with do-it-yourself blow in cellulose insulation? Or does anybody know if there's a company that will do refit injectable foam in the DSM area? That would be my preferance.

Walk On
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I re-sided my 1940's house a couple of years ago with Vinyl. It was pretty simple to install, it just took a little time to complete.

You don't need to rip the old siding off if it's not rotten or damaged. You don't need to worry about releasing the lead paint into the environment when you leave it on, and the old siding adds strength and insulating value to the wall. Also, by not ripping the old siding off, the house remains watertight while you are siding, so you can work at your leisure to finish the project.

When leaving the old siding on, overlay foam insulation board over the insulation to smooth out the wall. You can use either the 1/4" thick fan-folded insulation, or 1/2" insulation board. Then apply Tyvek over the outside, and then install vinyl siding on top of that. The link below provides a good tutorial for installation:

http://www.vinylsiding.org/publicati...2007Manual.pdf

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

I should ad that if your doing it yourself the cost goes way down with hardiplank. I know someone at work who did it. But, I've been told that hardiplank should really be applied in a certain very specific way (thus the typical expensive labor) so I have no idea if he did it right. I'm sure that its tougher than putting up vinyl.

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.