Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0

Cliff Floyd to the Windy City!

The Cubs just signed Cliff Floyd to a 1 yr. and $3,000,000 deal. I can't wait to see the Cubs lineup this season. Cubbies to the series in 2007!

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

Re: Cliff Floyd to the Windy City!

Quote Originally Posted by mike4cy View Post
    Cubbies to the series in 2007!
    I'll chalk that up to sarcasm.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 910
    Given: 189

I am a Cubs fan, and I believe they are going to the series once I see them make it, until then, I will doubt it.

Floyd is a good player, but hes only ever played outfield and 1st base, and the cubs are set in all those positions. There is no way you bench Lee more then a few games next season, and between Murton, Soriano, and Jones, I dont see much of a need for Floyd.

Murotn is very young and led the team last year in BA. You dont bench him, he is VERY good for his age. Soriano cost way too much to bench for more then a few games next year. The only option I see is to platoon him with Jones, and Jones would not be happy in that role. So unless they have a trade in the works, or Jones is willing to platoon, I dont see this being a very good pickup for the Cubs.

Last edited by chuckd4735; 01-24-2007 at 07:54 PM.

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 45

Color me unimpressed. I've never been a huge fan of Floyd and I like Matt Murton in left. Who knows how this season will turn out, but I'll put my trust into Hendry's and Lou Pinella's hands and do what I always do. I'll put on my Cubbie Blue, turn on WGN and hope and cheer for the best. Go Cubs!

Last edited by C.John; 01-25-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know about you guys but this whole team should be a ton better. One of the things that hurt us most last year was the injury bug. Even without Prior, Wood, or Miller this year we could be serious contenders for the Central. A love the pitching staff because of the depth. The starters we have would be Zombrano, Lily, Marquis, Prior, Miller, Hill, Marshall, or even Guzman. Combine that with Dempster and the only good thing last year (Eyre and Howry) along with Wood in the pen. I think that sounds like it could win some games alone.

The lineup I see for next year would be:
    CF Soriano
    2B Derossa
    1B Lee
    3B Ramirez
    C Barret
    RF Jones
    LF Murton
    SS Izturis
    P Zombrano

With Floyd, Pagan, and Theriot on the bench I think they could do well especially with a new coach and we got rid of McPhail!!!!
    CUBBIES TO WS IN 07!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"It's not my fault that an opposing player isn't as strong as me" - Marcus Fizer

Pro
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 48

I am a Cubs fan, and I know that we always say "Next Year," but good God I have never wanted this year to start so badly. As for whoever said this was a bad pick-up for the Cubs you have got to be kidding me!?!? Floyd obviously knows he is not going to be a starter most of the time, but he could be key if someone gets injured and we need someone to fill a spot. And also we needed a left-handed bat off of the bench and we just got him. Yeah he's past his prime, but he will still be a nice fit in Chi-Town. If Prior is ready to go, like people are saying, then the Cubs are at the very least making the playoffs.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

Guess Hendrick's heart attack made him speed up the Cub rejuvenation process. By the way, Murdoch is looking at buying rhe Tribune and the Cubbies. They need to perform well this year so Tribune is sold at a higher price. The bubblegum days are long gone and a wineer is need besides the Bears, White Sox and Bulls, and perhaps even BlackHwks. Cubs are due to win by default. Maud, it must have been a hundred years since the Cuibs won it all. Heard that fan who stole the playoffs by interfering with catching the ball finally moved out of town.

Last edited by Wesley; 01-24-2007 at 10:46 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I don't care who they sign... They are the Cubs!! They probaly won't make it to the playoffs, but I'll be rooting for them!

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I love the Cubs, I love what they have done. I am going to cheer like crazy this summer and hopefully make it to a couple of games. Also I think they have a shot to make the playoffs. Remember they play in the NL Central where St Louis made it to the playoffs with 83 wins and the Cubs have dramatically improved there team.

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

LOL!!! The same talk every year, here we go again. Oh and by the way CyBand the Cards not only made the playoffs I believe they where the world champs. Zambrano goes off the deep end, Soriano tears a hamstring, Lee stubs his toe and ur back at the bottom. Poor Bartman

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Floyd won't be more than a nice left handed bat off the bench really. He's had the injury bug lately and unless there is an injury or a major slump out of one of the OF's I don't see him beating out Murton, Jones, and definately not Soriano for a starting spot. I'd still like to see Jones traded away and bring in a proven CF so Soriano could play RF but hopefully the CF expiriement works out.

M&M had Bob Ryan on the other day and somehow the Cubs got brought up and he basically thought the Cubs had no pitching and for some reason still thought they were relying on Wood and Prior for the rotation. Let's see, they have Zambrano and Hill returning who both were pretty good last season plus Lilly and Marquis who are inning eaters and then a bunch of pitchers including Prior fighting for that 5th spot. While Lilly and Marquis don't strike you as big names if they eat up innings and keep their ERA's under 5 that is better than about anyone else the Cubs have had recently and if you can give the bullpen a lead in the 7th or 8th inning it's been a pretty decent bullpen when it's not over-worked and having to come in the 3-6th innings all the time like it had to do last season.

I'm using caution when predicting how good the Cubs will be but they definately shorted up the rotation and added a big bat to the lineup plus getting a healthy D-Lee back is like adding 2 bats to that lineup. I just hope they find a way to bring the team OBP up so there are guys on base when they do hit the long ball.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Yes I know, I am eternally optimistic about the Cubs. It is sad, they break my heart. But sooner or later, it will all payoff. The day they do finally win the WS my friends are going to hate me for awhile because I will remind everybody I know everyday. haha

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

If they don't make the playoffs this year with how weak the NL is, they might as well just quit playing baseball. I know they don't have a great pitching staff, but the Cardinals won the World Series out of that division with 83 wins. That's awful.

Pro
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 48

Don't ever underestimate the NL Central. Who gave the Cards a chance to win the series this year after they backed into the playoffs and look what happened.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    If they don't make the playoffs this year with how weak the NL is, they might as well just quit playing baseball. I know they don't have a great pitching staff, but the Cardinals won the World Series out of that division with 83 wins. That's awful.
    I know I'm walking into the lion's den here, but you guys can't be serious with this stuff. This is a thread about the cubs, so of course I'm expecting a little anti-StL bias, but I think comments like this need to be a little better founded to be taken seriously. The Cards beat the Padres, then the Mets, then the Tigers, all of whom had better regular season records than the Cards. That doesn't sound too weak to me. The Cards have also been NL Central champs for something like 5 out of the past 6 years. Two World Series appearances in 3 years, with one World Series Championship. That looks to me like a pretty straight-forward record of solid performance, perhaps even to the level of dominance in the NL Central division. That's getting it done when it counts.

Oh, by the way...83>66.