Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Anyone Else Here Trying to Work in Sports?

Just curious if others feel the pain/frustration.

Obviously it's really hard to break into. The most difficult pill to swallow for me was while I was in school, I would religiously check team job postings for internships for anything related to statistical analysis, operations, etc., and all that were ever posted was sales and marketing types of internships.

The only relevant post I found was for the Houston Rockets a couple years ago, but they wanted someone who lived closer in the area (even though I was willing to work for free during the time and live with someone I knew who was there at the time).

I've started checking job boards for various sports jobs, not expecting much but seeing if anything is out there. I then see a posting for the Yankees that basically fits the profile of what I was looking for in school. Of course the kicker is that your graduation date has to be May 2009 or later (I graduated December 2007). Not saying I would've gotten in, but it would've been nice to have more internships like this to even just apply for...

Anyhow I just felt like venting. I don't have a horrible job now, but I don't have a passion for it. I work on various research projects on my own with MLB teams and NBA teams, and have had no luck. It makes sense as the supply outnumbers the demand, and I have no kind of inside track.

I guess the hard part is that now I can't make the type of sacrifices such as working for free for a considerable amount of time, and the longer you're not trying to break in the harder it gets.

Just curious if anyone out there is trying to do the same thing, and if so, how it's going? I guess just now I'm coming to terms with the fact that odds are I won't end up having a career in sports. Not giving up, but not holding my breath either...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 61

Re: Anyone Else Here Trying to Work in Sports?

I currently work in College Athletics. Got the job about 3 weeks after I graduated from College in 2006.

42-53 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Everyone wants these jobs... You will have to work a long time for free/little pay for it to pay off...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 28

When I was in school I applied for an internship with the Cardinals organization that involved following the team and their mlb.com beat writer for a few months and getting to be involved in interviews and articles posted on the web. Obviously it would have been a great gig for a summer, but I suspect that somehow my lack of sports journalism experience worked against me.

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 128

What type of job are you looking for? Coaching? PR? Statistics?
    cyballs hit the nail on the head, you have to work very long hours for very little pay while you work your way up.
    Graduated assistant coaches in football will make between 6 and 10 k a year and to all the ***** work for a program. I imagine basketball is about the same. Even position coaches at small colleges will only make in the 30's, and if you are good enough to have success there, you can work your way up to making the big bucks at D1 or a head man.
    I have several job offers to be a sports director at small Iowa radio stations when I got out of college and the best offer was 19,600 and that was just in '03.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Thumbs Up

Are you willing to relocate, mplscyclone? If so, there is a website - www.workinsports.com that has been known to list a lot of internship-type positions. As I recall, you have to pay a fee (it's not much, though - maybe $30 or $40 every 3 months) to have access to the site, but you might want to give it a try. Getting some solid experience through an internship will probably help tremendously. It sounds like you're young, which is to your advantage.

I am nearly 57 years old, and if I have one piece of advice for you, it is to follow your dream, no matter the cost. My dream as a kid growing up was I wanted to be a play-by-play guy for a professional baseball team. Every opportunity I had, I listened to Harry Carey and Jack Buck do the St. Louis Cardinals and Herb Carneal and Hallsy Hall do the Minnesota Twins. I had a baseball card game my parents bought for me when I was maybe 8 or 9 years old and for hours, I would call play-by-play while playing the card game (I actually had a wooden box full of marbles that I would shake back and forth to make crowd noise - I was crazy, I know).

To make a long story short, I ended up going to broadcast school and was lucky enough to get a radio job right out of school. I had to move to Illinois to do it, but I was following my dream. I became pretty darned good at play-by-play work, but unfortunately, I never really made a great living at it. Because I was married and we wanted to start a family, I eventually got into sales and ultimately left radio and gave up my dream.

Although I have done well in sales over the years, I can say 30 years down stream, that the biggest mistake I ever made in life was giving up on my dream - period. I listen to a lot of play-by-play guys today and ask myself, "where was I when he got that job." But I am the one who made the decision to give up my dream and take a different road in life.

Don't make the same mistake I did. If sports is your passion, go for it. And don't let anyone tell you it can't happen. If you want it bad enough and are willing to work for it, you can make it happen. Unfortunately, to a large degree it is more "who you know" as opposed to "what you know." Get an internship, make some solid contacts, and you'll be on your way!

Last edited by Wingback; 05-08-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 840
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 10

The working for peanuts might be the best thing to do. The U of Minnesota has several openings for interns for items like Event Management, Athletic Facilities Mgmt, and TCF Bank Operations. But the pay is $1000 / month for all of these. Hard to do once you have started your after college life.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Starter
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I co-started a high school based magazine in the Des Moines area....advertising is brutal and cut throat, but is the life blood of most media.

I found a lot of the "joy" of working in sports was quickly vanished when trying to use it to support a family.

I like just being a fan now and not have to deal with the rigors of high school athletes thinking their pro's and the drama that comes with high level high school programs.

I would think twice about it and look at from all angles.

"Unless a man is born again, he will not see the Kingdom of Heaven" John 3:3

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,299
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 10

I don't personally work in sports but have quite a few friends that do. Some here in Omaha include Mizuno, Ultimate Baseball Academy, and Omaha Sports Commission. I believe 2 of the 3 pay well.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 36

What kind of position are you trying to work on ?
    I heard one of the guys in my old place ended up working for the Twins, but he has accounting degree and worked for a top accounting firm before joining the Twins.
    Another former colleague returned home to work for Atlanta Falcons as a financial analyst, but he worked for a top accounting firm before he joined the Falcons. Great place according to him.
    I can only comment on the business-related positions, so let me know.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Brent Blum swings by every now and again--is he still in Orlando?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 12

You have to have connections in order to start off in sports or at least that is the best way. Luckiy I do. Everyone wants to work in sports. You have to have a leg up in some sort of way.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35

If you don't get some type of experience while you're in college, it will be harder. Iowa State has a lot of student positions available in marketing, communications, operations, etc. Those are mostly unpaid unless you stick with it for a couple of years. There's a lot of crap work involved, but what else would you expect as an unpaid undergrad working about 15 hours per week?

Then, by the time graduation rolls around, you have a leg up in the "work experience" section. And if you paid attention and did a good enough job, you probably made contacts with other groups/schools/organizations during that time. In some cases, it's all about direct networking...or, at the very least, knowing someone who knows someone (indirect networking).

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have a masters degree in sports management from ISU and worked for both the athletic department and the recreation department. I thought at the time that I wanted to work in athletics, but after a few years of working LONG hours for LITTLE pay it became obvious that the recreation side was the way to go. I now manage a part of the student rec program here at UT and I absolutely love it. The hours are better, the pay is better, and I get to be around sports and college students every day. Not to mention that I can actually go to games and tailgates and enjoy myself with my friends. Believe me when you work on the inside the "gameday" experience is not near as exciting.

If you think you might be interested in this line of work send me a pm and I will be happy to give you some pointers. It is not nearly as difficult of a field to navigate in to.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,163
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 38

I worked in real estate for awhile and had a gig selling computers for my dad. Eventually I got a gig as assistant to the traveling secretary for the Yankees. I liked that gig and I had some good ideas but one of my ideas regarding some changes to the uniforms backfired and I got canned.

I would love to get back into the business again. I'm kind of looking for some fulfilling work to take my mind off of my fiance's death.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.