Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 24

Iowa FB Game

Do any other ISU fans really give a crap if we dropped Iowa off our schedule like the Hawk fans are "threatening" us with?? It's like everyone thinks we as Cyclone fans are holding on with all our might to this great series or something. I mean I love the game each year and all but I could really give a crap if we dropped Iowa. Heck, let's get our football program turned in the right direction and play a "KSU" type schedule for a couple years. Why not??? After that we just schedule a home & home with a lesser team from another BCS conference. Sounds good to me.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 10

Re: Iowa FB Game

What good does a KSU schedule do us? If we play like TT does, and schedule 4-5 fluff teams, we have no experience going into big 12 play. Plus we pay a lot of $$ to get season tickets, I don't want to watch 4 blowouts until I get to watch a good game. I like scheduling Iowa, it is in the best interests of ISU and Iowa to do it. It is all about $$, and those games make a lot of it for each respective univ.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 678
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 44

What were supposed to be blowouts last year were not. I know things should be on the up and up, but any "guaranteed" victories we can have before big 12 play are more than welcome.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,159
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand what you're saying brianhos but what's better, playing a "good" nonconference schedule and not going to a bowl or getting some wins in and going to a bowl game? I mean look at Iowa's pitiful conference record this year and they get to head south in December. Since football doesn't really use an RPI ranking for bowl bids (outside the BCS but hey, we're not heading there anytime soon) what incentive is there to play a top-notch schedule. Sure we have to sell season tickets but if we start winning people will come and watch no matter who we're playing.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think I need to side on the "don't need Iowa" people with this one. While it was phenomenal to beat the Squawks those 5 years in a row earlier this decade, a win is never guaranteed. ISU could always use an extra pre-conference W just in case the league schedule gets extra tough. I'm not saying we need to schedule cupcakes, maybe one of the mid-level MAC teams. I think the athletic dept. would probably make up the $ difference if the attendance is consistent all season long (with winning teams). My 2...

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 7

There could be some truth to this idea. It could be beneficial in many ways. First off, if we play 4 nobodies in the non-conference, we should start every season 4-0. Then a 2-6 conference effort sends us to a bowl game. See Iowa this year. 4-0 non-conference, and 2-6 in the big 10 with no quality wins and they are at the Alamo bowl. With a 4-0 non-conference record against a bunch of nobodies ISU would have only been 1 win away from a bowl this year in a season that most of us considered to be a total disaster.

There is also a potential financial benefit. Most of these games should not require ISU to make a road trip in return for the game. This could allow us to have 4 non-conference home games and 4 big 12 home games per year. While these games may not draw a crowd on par with Iowa, 8 home games per year could be very beneficial financially.

And finally, it really would help us develop a winning tradition. We would essentially be guaranteed no worse than a .500 record at home in any given year. And winning at home, even in a blowout, will be appealing to fans. This could help us increase attendance. The annual bowl trips that we would be able to make would also increase fan interest.

It worked for KSU, it could work here. We get enough quality opponents on our schedule playing in the Big 12 already.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Who are you going to get to play ISU that is a decent BCS school that has the ticket apeal of Iowa? Not only do you lose the rivarly factor (the whole reason this is even a debate right now) but you lose a game against a BCS school that has been consistently ranked over the past several seasons. They are a good challenge for us and usually are favored so why would we want to replace them with some other team? It's not like we have a lot of decent BCS schools knocking down the door to play a home and home series against ISU right now.

The only reason Hawk fans are wanting to drop us is because now it's about as hard as it is for us to go to the game when it is not at home and ISU might actually start improving and winning this game more consistently. Why would they want to play "little brother" if we are going to be a threat to beat them? Heaven forbid they get smack talk back at them when they lose like we had to endure for 15 years straight...

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    Do any other ISU fans really give a crap if we dropped Iowa off our schedule like the Hawk fans are "threatening" us with??
    Doesn't bother me at all if the Iowa game is dropped. As I posted yesterday, I think ISU would get better exposure playing a home-and-home series with a good SEC or PAC-10 team. Some Florida and California exposure couldn't hurt.

I remember quite a bit of excitement surrounding the ISU / FSU (an ACC team would be another good choice) game a few years ago. I was in an airport somewhere a couple of days after that game and ESPN was still talking about it. How long does ESPN talk about ISU/Iowa?

Last edited by jbhtexas; 01-24-2007 at 03:45 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Doesn't bother me at all if the Iowa game is dropped. As I posted yesterday, I think ISU would get better exposure trying to schedule a home-and-home series with a good SEC or PAC-10 team. Some Florida and California exposure couldn't hurt...
    Add me to this list. Some of the best years in ISU FB history were prior to the renewal of the ISU - UI series (Dirty Thirty team, early - mid '70's under Majors and Bruce).

URBCLONE

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    There could be some truth to this idea. It could be beneficial in many ways. First off, if we play 4 nobodies in the non-conference, we should start every season 4-0. Then a 2-6 conference effort sends us to a bowl game. See Iowa this year. 4-0 non-conference, and 2-6 in the big 10 with no quality wins and they are at the Alamo bowl. With a 4-0 non-conference record against a bunch of nobodies ISU would have only been 1 win away from a bowl this year in a season that most of us considered to be a total disaster.

There is also a potential financial benefit. Most of these games should not require ISU to make a road trip in return for the game. This could allow us to have 4 non-conference home games and 4 big 12 home games per year. While these games may not draw a crowd on par with Iowa, 8 home games per year could be very beneficial financially.

And finally, it really would help us develop a winning tradition. We would essentially be guaranteed no worse than a .500 record at home in any given year. And winning at home, even in a blowout, will be appealing to fans. This could help us increase attendance. The annual bowl trips that we would be able to make would also increase fan interest.

It worked for KSU, it could work here. We get enough quality opponents on our schedule playing in the Big 12 already.
    This is my point exactly. Iowa played 1-AA, beat a terrible ISU , Syracuse team and a medicore NIU team. THen they beat a crappy Illionois team and a ok purdue. COnference record of Ill, ISU and Syracuse was 3-21. They end up in a national tv game against the Defending national champs.
    Nice point.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Iowa just wants to bail from this game because they fear that "little brother" has decided not to be little brother anymore. They are also suffering from illusions of grandeur. Iowa thinks that they have arrived and that their rivalries are Ohio St or Michigan. In the last 5 years or so OSU has played for a couple national titles and Michigan has done a couple Rose Bowls. Iowa made the BCS once and got smoked. Michigan and OSU circle Iowa on the calendar like ISU circles UNLV. Iowa is 13-12 the last two years, they aren't on that level, but they think they are.

As a result of these feelings they feel like they have nothing to gain by beating ISU, which isn't the case. And with Pollard and Chizik running the show, they know that the days of 15 in a row aren't coming back for a long time. Iowa is not going to replace ISU with Nebraska or Texas or any other BCS team worth a damn. Why? Because these schools see Iowa for what they are, a slightly above average football team.

Sorry Hawks, ISU is your biggest rival and that is not going to change anytime soon. OSU and Michigan will never give a rip about you, and Nebraska and Texas are not salivating at the "privilege" of playing Iowa regularly. This game is a great game and a great rivalry and both sides know it. Both sides lose if this game goes away.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    This is my point exactly. Iowa played 1-AA, beat a terrible ISU , Syracuse team and a medicore NIU team. THen they beat a crappy Illionois team and a ok purdue. COnference record of Ill, ISU and Syracuse was 3-21. They end up in a national tv game against the Defending national champs.
    Nice point.
    True, totally true. ISU fans have been begging to make it to a bowl game as good as the Alamo. Say we dump Iowa, then we beat Toledo, UNLV, UNI, and how about Kent State. Go 2-6 in the big 12 by beating like Kansas and Baylor. 6-6 on the season and off to the Alamo to play Ohio State on national TV the year after their national title game.

And then you can go home at the end of the year complaining that it was a disappointment. An extra win guaranteed each year couldn't hurt. And regular Alamo appearances would do well for our national exposure and our ticket sales.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

The funny thing is that EIU fans are wanting to drop the game.

They like to point out that they have a winning record in the series, but they never mention that EIU was the school refusing to play the game back in the 60s and 70s. Which, by the way, could very easily have resulted in more than 15 wins for ISU during that era.

They're all for the game when they're winning, but when they know its going to be tough they act like they are doing US a favor by playing it.

I've made the case many times; we should drop the game completely. It does nothing for ISU other than to generate gate and television revenue for one game every other year. We need to find a way to backfill the loss of that revenue and cancel the game from our schedule.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,159
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm liking what I'm seeing here. I'm glad no one is ripping the idea right away because, down the road, I'm sure we're all hoping we'll get to the level where we'd obviously replace that Iowa game spot with another BCS school. No one is suggesting we play cupcakes forever, just until we're on our feet again.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We dont need to play Iowa every-year.

What I suggest is play Iowa every other year and play UNI the year we don't play Iowa.

I understand UNI is not in the same division as Iowa, but they are non-conference games nonetheless.

Personally I want for us to play teams like USC, Auburn or Michigan instead in the years we don't play Iowa.