Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Deace On The Mark Regardng Bowl Games

Steve Deace was absolutely and completely on the mark this morning on Miller and Deace regarding college bowl games.

A synopsis of his comments:

The BCS hasn't solved a thing except destroying bowl traditions, so let's scrap it and go back to the former system.

20 bowl games is a generous plenty, so let's just get rid of the rest of them (40 out of 120-some teams making bowls is plenty...it's obvious no one really cares about bowl games with an average attendance of 20 or 25,000 fans).

The minimum record required for a team to qualify for a bowl game should be 7-5. 6-6 should qualify you to sit on the sofa and watch from home.

I couldn't agree more!

Last edited by Wingback; 05-07-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Deace On The Mark Regardng Bowl Games

So since the current system doesn't solve anything we should go back to the former system that solved just as little? I say we scrap it and go to 8,12, or even 16 team playoff.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 284

yeah I agree the bowl games have been ruined by the BCS. I say either a playoff or you go back to the days of big 12 get's the Orange. PAC 10 vs. Big 10 in the Rose and so on. The other is just have a playoff since it's already been ruined.

I always like the fact that if we scored first on OU or Nebby the student section would heave Oranges onto the field. It was just funny.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

I'd love to see the number of bowl games reduced to something like 20 (how many are their now? 40-ish?). They should actually mean something, the top 40 making a bowl game sounds fair.

Unfortunately, it'll never happen. If anything, we'll get more meaningless bowls like the SuperDog Stand Bowl live from Boone, IA. Too much $$$ involved.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 507
    Given: 458

what is so hard for NCAA folks to understand. Your fans (people who ultimately pay the bills) aren't happy. Fix it!

8 team playoff for the championship. You could still use the BCS (or some formula) to determine the top 8. It's much better to hva eteam #9 complain than teams #3,#4,#5 complain about missing the title game. You can still use the games in that bracket and call them traditional bowl games. You take the other teams with 7-5 records or better and let them just play bowl games.

@RandomGeoFacts

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The full push should still be toward scrapping bowls and implementing a 16-team playoff; 11 conference champions and 5 at-large teams.

Thumbs Up

Guys, aside from the BCS Championship Game, the only bowl you can count on to have a capacity crowd every year, plus a very, very high television rating is the Rose Bowl (as much as it pains me to admit it). I don't think any one could deny that the reason for that is because, for the most part, they have been able to maintain their traditional conference tie ins.

Back when there were conference tie ins for the major bowls, who would have ever dreamed you would see the Orange Bowl less than filled. There have been numerous less than capacity crowds at the Orange Bowl since the formation of the BCS.

The BCS system has ruined the bowls. If they can't figure out a way to do a playoff, there is no question the old system was far and away better than what we have today!

Last edited by Wingback; 05-07-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

Once ISU got smacked around in the Boise blue-turf smurf bowl, I have come to realization that without these meaningless, horrible games, ISU would have a tough time ever seeing a bowl game.

With that said, I hate all these small bowl games and tend not tofollow them.

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 14

When would we ever get to a bowl then? kind serious though. How did it work back in the day-Top 40 teams automatically in or a tie in like the Big 12 gets 4 teams which would be OU, texas, another south team and an up year for us?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra

@cyfert26 on Twitter

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

There are currently 32 bowl games, I believe.

Institute the 12 or 16 team playoff. Incorporate the "top" eight bowl games or so if need be.
    All the other bowls can still be played, they just wouldn't have any national title implications (just like now), and would basically just be exhibition games (just like now).

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,669
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 101

I agree with both their opinions that playoffs are not the way to go as it would water down the greatest regular season in sports. That said, I disagree on this whole notion of what is, and isn't, a "crappy bowl".
    Does the existence of the Poinsettia Bowl or Humanitarian Bowl somehow make the Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl less special? Does it affect the determination of a national champion?

I would think that anyone who loves college football should want the season to continue as long as possible. Using the argument that crappy bowls just match a couple crappy teams is odd as well. Using that argument, let's scrap the first couple weeks of the regular season too because there our tons of crappy matchups with inferior teams. Heck, maybe once the season starts and a team has lost too many games to assure at least a .500 season by season end, then any remaining games against teams in the same predicament (i.e.…two crappy teams), those games should be cancelled as not to subject anyone to crappy regular season matchup.

All bowls provide opportunities for teams to play that don't normally get a change to play…..and for that matter, for fans to travel to cities that they wouldn't normally get to go to. How's that a bad thing?

Bottom-line -- How do the so-called "crappy" bowls negatively affect anyone other than the teams and fans that participate in them?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    what is so hard for NCAA folks to understand. Your fans (people who ultimately pay the bills) aren't happy. Fix it!
    Corporations are paying the NCAA a lot of money through bowl sponsorships and payouts to schools and conferences in order to not fix it.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clones26 View Post
    When would we ever get to a bowl then? kind serious though. How did it work back in the day-Top 40 teams automatically in or a tie in like the Big 12 gets 4 teams which would be OU, texas, another south team and an up year for us?
    For the most part, back in the day, only the major bowls had conference tie ins (Rose always had Big-10 champ and Pac-10 champ, Orange had Big-8 champ versus another undefeated or 1-loss type team from a major conference, Sugar had the SEC champ versus another great team, Cotton had the SWC champ, etc.). Once the major bowls got filled, the lesser bowls fought it out for the remaining teams. The bowl representatives fought for teams that traveled well and for great inter-sectional matchups. And some years the match-ups in bowls like the Liberty, Peach, Sun, etc. were outstanding.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    I agree with both their opinions that playoffs are not the way to go as it would water down the greatest regular season in sports. That said, I disagree on this whole notion of what is, and isn't, a "crappy bowl".
    Does the existence of the Poinsettia Bowl or Humanitarian Bowl somehow make the Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl less special? Does it affect the determination of a national champion?

I would think that anyone who loves college football should want the season to continue as long as possible. Using the argument that crappy bowls just match a couple crappy teams is odd as well. Using that argument, let's scrap the first couple weeks of the regular season too because there our tons of crappy matchups with inferior teams. Heck, maybe once the season starts and a team has lost too many games to assure at least a .500 season by season end, then any remaining games against teams in the same predicament (i.e.…two crappy teams), those games should be cancelled as not to subject anyone to crappy regular season matchup.

All bowls provide opportunities for teams to play that don't normally get a change to play…..and for that matter, for fans to travel to cities that they wouldn't normally get to go to. How's that a bad thing?

Bottom-line -- How do the so-called "crappy" bowls negatively affect anyone other than the teams and fans that participate in them?
    A bowl games used to reward excellence. Now bowl games represent the acceptance of rewarding mediocre behavior.

The American Way: Do just enough not to get fired.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 920
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 312

I watch some meaningless bowl games...mostly because many of them are on tv when nothing else is on! It isn't like they are going up against the NFL on Sunday afternoons. If the goal is to declare a champion of college football...yeah...most or all of these bowls are meaningless. But if the goal is to give college football fans something to watch on tv...fine by me. Some I will watch...some I won't. Doesn't hurt to watch them. But I do agree that the BCS system is not the best way to crown a champion!