Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 270

ISU student H1N1 confirmed?

Marshalltown flu cases jump to 27, with possible spread to ISU | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

I've read this sentence like 5 times and I still don't understand it, can anyone confirm that she has it?

In addition, Iowa State University said a freshman from Marshalltown had come down with a probable case of the new disease. The freshman's illness, which cropped up Friday, was initially considered a case of regular, seasonal flu. Tests ruled that out by today, and authorities now believe she has the new virus. She was returning home today, and ISU authorities were closely monitoring her friends and residents of her dormitory for signs of disease.
    This really sucks because my girlfriend got this email today:

Dear ISU Student:
    It has been determined that a person in your HD FS 221 class had a probable case of the N1H1 (swine) flu during the week of April 27, 2009.
    This means you may have been exposed to the H1N1 (swine) flu virus. Over the next seven (7) days, please watch for the following symptoms: fever (temperature over 100 degrees Fahrenheit) AND cough, sore throat, body aches, runny nose, vomiting or diarrhea.
    If you develop a fever and one of the other symptoms, please call Thielen Student Health Center (515-295-5801) or your regular health care provider. Please inform them that you have been exposed to a probable case of H1N1 flu and your symptoms.

“One day we’ll be in here celebrating a Big 12 championship,” Rhoads said. “That I can promise you.”

"I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.
    @AtownCY

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: ISU student H1N1 confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by A-town Cy View Post
    Marshalltown flu cases jump to 27, with possible spread to ISU | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

I've read this sentence like 5 times and I still don't understand it, can anyone confirm that she has it?

This really sucks because my girlfriend got this email today:
    I don't know what to believe anymore. As of yesterday, I heard a report that suggested in spite of all the closings and issues in Marshalltown - there has only been ONE confirmed case in Iowa.

Who knows.

Be prudent - but I wouldn't worry much.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 717
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I don't know what to believe anymore. As of yesterday, I heard a report that suggested in spite of all the closings and issues in Marshalltown - there has only been ONE confirmed case in Iowa.

Who knows.

Be prudent - but I wouldn't worry much.
    That was (and is) true. Look on this page Centers for Disease Control. CDC H1N1 Flu As of 10 a.m. Central today, there was one laboratory confirmed case in Iowa.

You're right, be prudent AND realistic. One interesting thing I read yesterday: in general, most of the laboratory confirmed cases to date do NOT include older people (age 50+). Speculation is that there could be some immunity build-up in older people.

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ms3r4ISU View Post
    That was (and is) true. Look on this page Centers for Disease Control. CDC H1N1 Flu As of 10 a.m. Central today, there was one laboratory confirmed case in Iowa.

You're right, be prudent AND realistic. One interesting thing I read yesterday: in general, most of the laboratory confirmed cases to date do NOT include older people (age 50+). Speculation is that there could be some immunity build-up in older people.
    Well that's the first time in a long time that I feel fortunate to be old.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 953
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Ms3r4ISU View Post

This was the same case in 1918 when 10 million people died world wide, most were college age students.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    This was the same case in 1918 when 10 million people died world wide, most were college age students.
    I think this is what lead to alot of the fear-mongering we've seen.

This variation of the flu hits people particularly hard that normal flu doesn't.

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

I don't think health care was also nearly as advanced as it is today.

Aside from the fact that this flu outbreak has occurred outside the normal flu season, isn't it just that -- the flu?

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,413
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    I don't think health care was also nearly as advanced as it is today.

Aside from the fact that this flu outbreak has occurred outside the normal flu season, isn't it just that -- the flu?
    Well, it seams to be deadlier than the normal flu. According to stuff I've read, there are 36,000 flu/pneumonia related deaths in the United States each year. If 10% of the population get the flu each year (just a conservative guess), it has a death rate of 0.1%. This flu so far has a death rate worldwide of 2%.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Try up to 100 million...

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 717
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    Well, it seams to be deadlier than the normal flu. According to stuff I've read, there are 36,000 flu/pneumonia related deaths in the United States each year. If 10% of the population get the flu each year (just a conservative guess), it has a death rate of 0.1%. This flu so far has a death rate worldwide of 2%.

Remember, though, the 36,000 figure is based on history -- of all confirmed cases -- and the current outbreak is still happening, so realistically you can't extrapolate an ending death percentage from what's happened to date. Here's a link to the World Health Organization Web site's map of lab-confirmed cases and deaths as reported to WHO as of 16:00 GMT today -- May 5. http://whoterrance.vo.msecnd.net/med...90505_1610.jpg

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    But what is the worldwide rate for the normal flus that are out there, or what is the rate for only US cases of H1N1?

I would guess that the normal flu takes a much higher toll in places like the poor in Mexico, and that the 2 deaths in the US (if you can really count the first one as a US death) versus the hundreds of cases identified - would suggest this one is about the same death rate as you garden house variety seasonal flu.

Again, from what I gather is the who this hits, and the ease with which it supposedly is spread. Just saw a report that there are now fears about swine flu meeting up with the AIDS virus. I didn't bother reading it.....

I also heard a report last week that this may be hitting at the right time for us. That the flu just doesn't work well in the summer months. The question is what will happen next fall when the conditions are better suited to a flu pandemic?

Last edited by DaddyMac; 05-05-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Jeez people settle down. There are probably over 100 students with the regular flu at ISU right now. Why does the government and media have to make this a big deal. over 20,000 people die a year from the regular flu what maybe 15 have died from swine? geesh...

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    Jeez people settle down. There are probably over 100 students with the regular flu at ISU right now. Why does the government and media have to make this a big deal. over 20,000 people die a year from the regular flu what maybe 15 have died from swine? geesh...
    What are you reading that people here are overly excited?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    What are you reading that people here are overly excited?
    Well i mean look at the news and such...no one ever talks this much about the regular flu

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    Well i mean look at the news and such...no one ever talks this much about the regular flu
    Yea, it probably has nothing to do with the generally healthy dying from this flu compared to the yearly flu.

Also, what would have happened if the media did not play this up like they are/have? We would have a generally healthy population likely be dropping from a strain that has been unseen before, and the spread would be at least 10x greater than it is now in most likelihood.

"Seven minutes to glory."