Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

help with a Zip drive files

Since I am basically computer illiterate this will be hard to even describe-- many of you on this board have amazing computer knowledge. I play the clavinova (electronic piano) for our praise team at church. The clavinova will record the music I play. I store this music on a zip drive and then periodically transfer it to our church computer and also my office computer so we have 2 places to store this information.
    I had about 50 new songs to transfer to the computers so I took the zip drive to my office. (Actually it has about 250 songs total stored on the zip drive). I put the zip drive in my computer. The file showed up, so I wanted to transfer it to a desktop file which was not showing up for some reason. I pushed to make a shortcut to the desktop. All songs were then transferred to the desktop but the format was changed from a MIDI file to a SHORTCUT to each song's name. The zip drive was still there, I pushed I don't know what and poof...it was gone.
    Our computer person in our office could not find the original file and she had not idea how to change the file type. The problem then is that the new SHORTCUT files will not play even when transferred back to the zip drive. I tried to see if the newly formated songs would play on the clavinova and they will NOT.

How do I change the format of the Shortcut files back to the midi files? I can eventually figure how to get them back on my zip drive. I can re-record the songs if that is what I would have to do but looking for an easier way.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

Re: help with a Zip drive files

Quote Originally Posted by safmusic View Post
    Since I am basically computer illiterate this will be hard to even describe-- many of you on this board have amazing computer knowledge. I play the clavinova (electronic piano) for our praise team at church. The clavinova will record the music I play. I store this music on a zip drive and then periodically transfer it to our church computer and also my office computer so we have 2 places to store this information.
    I had about 50 new songs to transfer to the computers so I took the zip drive to my office. (Actually it has about 250 songs total stored on the zip drive). I put the zip drive in my computer. The file showed up, so I wanted to transfer it to a desktop file which was not showing up for some reason. I pushed to make a shortcut to the desktop. All songs were then transferred to the desktop but the format was changed from a MIDI file to a SHORTCUT to each song's name. The zip drive was still there, I pushed I don't know what and poof...it was gone.
    Our computer person in our office could not find the original file and she had not idea how to change the file type. The problem then is that the new SHORTCUT files will not play even when transferred back to the zip drive. I tried to see if the newly formated songs would play on the clavinova and they will NOT.

How do I change the format of the Shortcut files back to the midi files? I can eventually figure how to get them back on my zip drive. I can re-record the songs if that is what I would have to do but looking for an easier way.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    IF I'm reading this correctly, you're going to have to re-record them. The shortcuts would have had a path to the zip drive, and as soon as they were altered, your songs were gone. I don't think you wanted to create a shortcut, but rather copy files from the zip drive to the desktop correct?

A shortcut isn't a file type, just a path. All that it is doing is telling the computer where to go find the stuff so it really doesn't have a "file type" so it can't be converted.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 45

Re: help with a Zip drive files

Sounds like you created shortcuts on the desktop and then deleted the originals. Its a good thing you keep them in 2 places, because it sounds like you can just go over to the church computer (because the files are presumably there too) and copy the files back to your zip drive. You can then copy them back to your office computer. Or, if the songs are still on the clavinova you can copy them back from there too. Either way, maybe you should get someone to help you.

You should also put them on an external media like a CD or DVD.