Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Download Windows 7 RC1

If you would to try out windows 7 you can now download the latest release.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Re: Download Windows 7 RC1

Interesting.. I've been using the betas for a little while now, and have been extremely impressed with the stability. Seems to run well, startup and shutdown are significantly faster.. although shutdown still isn't awesome, it's a lot better than Vista.

I would say I also really like the new taskbar, and some of the new window features like "Aero Peek". It actually gives meaning to the little "preview thumbnail" that pops up when you hover over something on the taskbar in Vista. "Aero Peek" makes you realize how worthless that is in Vista, when now you can see the entire window instead of a thumbnail that you can't recognize what's on it anyways.

I am a little disappointed that, at least according to that page, you can't do the upgrade option from a beta to the RC. Not that you can't expect that when using pre-release software, it'd just be nice to not have the hassle.

And to make my post just a little bit longer, people should check out

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

As the new version has been recently released, 9.04. I dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu, and enjoy trying out the new versions.. and this one has been pretty good so far. A word of warning, though.. if your computer has ATI graphics installed and isn't new within the last 6 months, I wouldn't bother. ATI made a crap move and put all of their graphics chips basically more than a year old under "legacy" support, which means no new drivers, which means no new drivers for the new version of Ubuntu. Although there is an open-source driver that works pretty darn well, it just needs more time (especially for people on laptops). For people with NVidia graphics, though, feel free to dive in.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post
    I am a little disappointed that, at least according to that page, you can't do the upgrade option from a beta to the RC. Not that you can't expect that when using pre-release software, it'd just be nice to not have the hassle.
    I'm planning on getting around that this way:
    Windows 7 - Upgrade Beta To RC - To RTM Milestone ~ The Blade by Ron Schenone, MVP

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 104

Ive been using the 64bit version and its been solid for me. I have used the 32 bit as well. Definitely excited about this OS release.

Shadow copy getting put into vista and 7 is a much needed and exciting feature that most people will never know is there. On my network at work the SC on server 2003 has saved many people from totally screwing things up. Saves me a ton of time on retrieving backups as well.

Last edited by bos; 05-05-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Too lazy to look....

But is there an upgrade path that is reasonable (near free) for Vista users?

When is the expected OS release/when should it be availabe standard on new pc purchases?

TIA

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Too lazy to look....

But is there an upgrade path that is reasonable (near free) for Vista users?

When is the expected OS release/when should it be availabe standard on new pc purchases?

TIA

Not sure when it will be released public, but manufacturers will start throwing it out around Oct.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Not sure when it will be released public, but manufacturers will start throwing it out around Oct.

Dang - my wife is hitting me up for a new laptop now.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Dang - my wife is hitting me up for a new laptop now.

Just give MS a call or one of the laptop manufacturers. Im betting they will allow an upgrade for free or reduced cost.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Just give MS a call or one of the laptop manufacturers. Im betting they will allow an upgrade for free or reduced cost.
    Not a bad suggestion.

It'll be good to know - she's taken a shine to the new Dell Mini's - which only come currently with XP or Ubuntu. Wonder if this new OS will be availabe on those.

I'm sure Dell won't comment yet.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 41

They wont come with Win 7 installed til fall sometime id bet, however, starting this summer you will probably start to see the stickers on display that offer a free upgrade to Win7 when it releases, much like they did for XP loaded PCs when vista released so that OEMs dont have to worry about sales dropping in anticipation of 7.

Tech ARP - The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program Rev. 3.0

Burgermeister!
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 91

Not a bad suggestion.

It'll be good to know - she's taken a shine to the new Dell Mini's - which only come currently with XP or Ubuntu. Wonder if this new OS will be availabe on those.

I'm sure Dell won't comment yet.
    Those are ok. I got a 9" mini at christmas time for $99 when I ordered a laptop for someone else. At that price -they're great; at $350 (or whatever they are otherwise), they're a little high priced.

The main complaint that I have on it is the tiny, tiny keyboard.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    Those are ok. I got a 9" mini at christmas time for $99 when I ordered a laptop for someone else. At that price -they're great; at $350 (or whatever they are otherwise), they're a little high priced.

The main complaint that I have on it is the tiny, tiny keyboard.
    I was thinking about the 12". It's my wife's, so the size (weight) is much more an issue for her. And they are amazingly light. Of course you have to buy the DVD player extra and that could be a pain. But I use mine so infrequently.

I am concerned about the keyboard as well. For her at 5'4", I don't think it's a big deal. If I wanted to use it, at 6'4" and my meat-hooks, it could be cumbersome.

What do you lose out on versus a standard laptop - that you think that they are high priced? $350 is pretty cheap for a laptop. TIA.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I was going to download Windows 7 but it kept freezing.

Burgermeister!
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 91

I was thinking about the 12". It's my wife's, so the size (weight) is much more an issue for her. And they are amazingly light. Of course you have to buy the DVD player extra and that could be a pain. But I use mine so infrequently.

I am concerned about the keyboard as well. For her at 5'4", I don't think it's a big deal. If I wanted to use it, at 6'4" and my meat-hooks, it could be cumbersome.

What do you lose out on versus a standard laptop - that you think that they are high priced? $350 is pretty cheap for a laptop. TIA.
    I attach a USB mouse & keyboard when I want to use it. I've got them so it's not a big deal and it's much easier on me.

I've got the netbook with Ubuntu installed. It's a nice, basic machine. Not too much power (obviously), but it does the job - you won't do a video rendering on it, but for surfing the net, it's just fine.

And if you think about it, $350 for a fully functioning portable machine isn't too bad if you compare it to a limited used piece of technology like the iPhone or the kindle.

If you're looking for price/performance, I'd steer to one of their desktop machines - you can get more bang for your buck with them.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post
    Interesting.. I've been using the betas for a little while now, and have been extremely impressed with the stability. Seems to run well, startup and shutdown are significantly faster.. although shutdown still isn't awesome, it's a lot better than Vista.

I would say I also really like the new taskbar, and some of the new window features like "Aero Peek". It actually gives meaning to the little "preview thumbnail" that pops up when you hover over something on the taskbar in Vista. "Aero Peek" makes you realize how worthless that is in Vista, when now you can see the entire window instead of a thumbnail that you can't recognize what's on it anyways.

And to make my post just a little bit longer, people should check out

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

As the new version has been recently released, 9.04. I dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu, and enjoy trying out the new versions.. and this one has been pretty good so far. A word of warning, though.. if your computer has ATI graphics installed and isn't new within the last 6 months, I wouldn't bother. ATI made a crap move and put all of their graphics chips basically more than a year old under "legacy" support, which means no new drivers, which means no new drivers for the new version of Ubuntu. Although there is an open-source driver that works pretty darn well, it just needs more time (especially for people on laptops). For people with NVidia graphics, though, feel free to dive in.
    I've just downloaded Windows 7 RC1, but I've been really impressed with Ubuntu 9.04. All of my flash problems are gone, there have been literally zero problems for me since I installed it on release day. I think I've only booted into windows twice since I've installed 9.04