Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Fear and Loathing in Iowa City

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...32/1003/SPORTS
    How do we feel about this? I think it is a bold move and obviously reflects at least part of the reason that we are paying more for our season tickets. I enjoyed the Barta quote at the end. Sounds a little like someone is not happy that "little brother" upped the ante.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Re: Fear and Loathing in Iowa City

How do you get that Barta isn't happy we upped the ante in that article? I read between the lines as him saying that Iowa State pays too much for their assistants. I tend to agree with him. We could've easily paid these guys less and they'd still be here, allowing us to allocate more money to facilities, etc. We're giving Texas money for two somewhat unheard of guys, I still don't understand it.

Last edited by Michael Lastuvka; 01-23-2007 at 09:30 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18

No matter what some will tell you, there are a lot of hawk fans that are pretty worried. It looks like they are losing their dominance in both wrestling and football. Only time will tell.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,624
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 133

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post
    How do you get that he isn't happy we upped the ante? I read between the lines as him saying that Iowa State pays too much for their assistants. I tend to agree with him. We could've easily paid these guys less and they'd still be here, allowing us to allocate more money to facilities, etc. We're giving Texas money for two somewhat unheard of guys, I still don't understand it.
    Well, we always had the problem of losing our good assistants to higher paying jobs. Now that shouldnt happen, unless its a nice step up in their career. And if the high paid assistants we have dont cut it, then anyone we interview to replace them will know we are serious.
    But i understand the worry about throwing money at people we dont know. But I doubt GC wouldve come here if we didnt tell him that we would before we hired him.

#BEATIOWA

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

Again, Kirk gets so much money, he has none left for Big Norm and gang. With all the free perks they get from Iowa City neighbors, the Iowa coaches are probably well paid. Mow your lawn Mister? Shovel your drive? Need a babysitter? And the EIU perks never end.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Agreed Michael. But I think we never hear about almost getting Chizik as the new head coach (god knows the media would've never found out) without that # for the assistants. Hard to tell what went on behind closed doors, but I'm positive the assistant salaries were negotiated up to that level.

Could we have gotten assistants with no name recognition for less than that amount...sure! But could we've gotten GC, not sure....

Last edited by thakeepa14; 01-23-2007 at 09:37 PM.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by thakeepa14 View Post
    Agreed Michael. But I think we never hear about almost getting Chizik as the new head coach (god knows the media would've never found out) without that # for the assistants. Hard to tell what went on behind closed doors, but I'm positive the assistant salaries were negotiated up to that level.

Could we have gotten assistants with no name recognition for that amount...sure! But could we've gotten GC, not sure....
    Excellent point, never thought about that. I guess we'll never know for sure, but that's a solid hypothesis!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Again, Kirk gets so much money, he has none left for Big Norm and gang. With all the free perks they get from Iowa City neighbors, the Iowa coaches are probably well paid. Mow your lawn Mister? Shovel your drive? Need a babysitter? And the EIU perks never end.
    Are you serious, or do you just type random thoughts that come into your mind?

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post
    Excellent point, never thought about that. I guess we'll never know for sure, but that's a solid hypothesis!

Actually statement to that effect was made in the presser when his hiring was announced.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 65

I am really split on what I think of the pay of our assistants. I was very excited to see that we were going to be right at the top of the Big 12 for assistant pay. I think our inability to attract and retain top assistants really prevented us from making any more progress than we did in the McCarney era.

With that said, the people we have brought in aren't what I expected. With that money and the connections Chizik has to some top tier schools, I was hoping for more than a bunch of people from places like Stephen F Austin or UAB. I was hoping to see coaches from some bigger name programs, maybe even a couple of people from Texas.

That said, I trust Chizik to bring in the people that it will take to win, and if these are the guys, great. I also think that if these guys work out well for us, the higher salaries will let us keep them. And a big difference I expect between Chizik and Mac is that if some of these hires don't work out, I think Chizik will have no problem trying someone else, and attracting replacements in the future will be much easier with pay at the top of the league.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18

That said, I trust Chizik to bring in the people that it will take to win, and if these are the guys, great. I also think that if these guys work out well for us, the higher salaries will let us keep them. And a big difference I expect between Chizik and Mac is that if some of these hires don't work out, I think Chizik will have no problem trying someone else, and attracting replacements in the future will be much easier with pay at the top of the league.
    I agree 100%, it is the ability to keep the good ones and attract new ones when others move on that is the most important. The salaries are more about a commitment to the program than about the here and now. The coach I don't think we would have gotten without the bigger salaries is the OC McFarland, some people are hit and miss on him, but I think a former head coach at a fairly high level is always a good thing.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Thumbs down Re: Fear and Loathing in Iowa City

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Wrong, other than the university does have a great employee benefits program (my wife works at the hospital)!

For the record, I know the guy who had the contract to push snow out of Kirk's driveway last winter, and he got paid. Eddie P. has a huge hog farm and a land improvement contractor business, yet he takes care of the Ferentz driveway personally. Their emergency plumber is also a friend of mine and I know he's not doing any pro bono work for them! I don't think the good people of Iowa City are in awe of the coaches and I don't think the coaches (other than Alford) expect any special treatment!

Final thought: My 12 y/o son plays baseball with Kirk & Mary's 12 y/o son on a club team, so I know them in passing. They're truly regular people; he just happens to have a high profile job that paid him $4M+ last year! I watched a JH basketball game with him in November and only one person approached him, the referee! That's just a testimonial that they're not reluctant to be out and around and ordinary fans don't fawn all over them.

It's my hope that the Chizik family conducts themselves in Ames the way the Ferentz clan has in IC; then the state can be proud of two coaches!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 156

One thing is for sure: If all these bold moves add up, JP is sure to be the the most storied individual in the history of Cyclone Athletics. After Van De Velde, I really appreciate his vision. Let's make it work!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

Well at least we have two football assistants that can buy WM's big house.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I think that one of the biggest keys of coordinators is their ability to communicate and relate to the head coach. If the coordinators don't buy into what the head coach thinks or aren't honest with him, that will definitely hurt the team. With that being said, I trust Chizik's choices 100%. It seems like his number 1 priority is getting the wins, and I think he knows what it takes to get them. Rembemer, this is his first head coaching job, and he sure doesn't want to blow it on account of his coordinators, so I have faith in his choices.