Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Editorial in CR Gazette re: Iowa vs. ISU game

Just thought I would share a few editiorials. I like the last one! You go Sparky!

Iowa State ticket plan shortsighted
    What a poor, shortsighted decision by Iowa State to make their game (against Iowa) exclusive, for the most part, to Iowa State season ticket holders.
    I thought the annual game was for the entire state. ISU asked their fans to pay 35 percent more for season tickets, but that’s not enough, they want more.
    They’re willing to risk empty seats, irate fans to increase their coffers. Of course, it hurts Iowa State alums, too. They can go to any single game, but the Iowa game. Don’t ask.
    I wonder how the hotels, restaurants and other Ames businesses feel about this when they keep out 20,000 extra fans. To expect to sell out with season tickets, just because of one game, is overly optimistic, and then what happens the following year?
    My suggestion to Gary Barta, re-examine the series based on this decision. Let’s pick up UNI instead of Iowa State. Make ISU wait 50 years again to play us.
    John Langer, Cedar Rapids

ISU's attitude like Sinclair, Mediacom
    I just finished reading the ‘‘ISU ticket’’ article in your Jan. 19 edition. Is it just me, or does this have the same ring to it as the Sinclair dispute with Mediacom? (The all-or-nothing attitude).
    Perhaps ISU has learned some ‘‘bullying’’ tactics from Mr. Faber. Maybe Hawkeye fans will see to it that ISU’s stadium sits ‘‘half-empty’’ on Sept. 15.
    Hopefully it’s televised on ESPN, instead of KGAN.
    Larry Zieser, Iowa City

Keep Hawkeyes out of Jack Trice
    Cyclone football season tickets sales hit a new alltime high last year. According to The Gazette, we’ll sell even more because the Iowa Hawkeye fans want to come to all our games, too!
    The billboards worked!
    I’m very confident my Hawkeye friends don’t care if I can get into Kinnick Stadium when I visit Iowa City every other year.
    Besides, there are 4,000 tickets available as there are every year — for Iowa fans coming to Ames.
    Quite honestly, no Cyclone fan wants Hawk fans in our stadium for this game and vice versa. We don’t care if there are thousands of Hawks standing in the parking lot too proud to buy a ticket to the game.
    This is a tough ticket to get at both schools.
    This is now an important game to Iowa. Losing five games to your rival will do that, especially when it ruins an otherwise great football season.
    Cyclone fans want a consistent winning football team to cheer for, too. Something Iowa fans desperately wanted before Hayden Fry and then Kirk Ferentz arrived. Jamie Pollard will find a way to raise the money ISU needs to stay competitive.
    If we sell 50,000 season tickets, it doesn’t matter if our stadium is half empty as Scott Dochterman claims (maybe he is thinking of Carver-Hawkeye Arena?). The tickets are sold. Since most Iowa fans root for the Cyclones when we aren’t playing one another, I’ll expect a full house when we take on Texas on Oct. 13th. Cheering together we can avenge Iowa’s Alamo Bowl loss.
    Craig Adamson, Marion

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Thumbs down Re: Editorial in CR Gazette re: Iowa vs. ISU game

[QUOTE=SlyCy;76060]
    My suggestion to Gary Barta, re-examine the series based on this decision. Letís pick up UNI instead of Iowa State. Make ISU wait 50 years again to play us.
    John Langer, Cedar Rapids/QUOTE]

I'd submit that Mr. Langer gives away his true feelings with this paragraph! EIU did not want to re-establish this series and many hawk fans were outraged with the AD who signed the contract to do so. They suddenly dropped their gripes when Hayden established dominance for 15 years, but now that the series is competitive, "let's drop ISU for UNI" rears it's ugly head. I love his big "let's let them wait" finale, like it's such an honor to play them!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

Re: Editorial in CR Gazette re: Iowa vs. ISU game

These hawkeye fans are idiots. Think of it this way, when the Democrats have their national convention, do you think they care whether or not enough seating has been available for republicans? And vice versa? Hell no, I think hawk fans are just having a hard time with the world not revolving around Iowa City anymore. If anything the rest of world circles the toilet that is IC.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

These are the Hawk Fans that I hate. Do they realize that it's going to be just as hard to get tickets for the game just like it is every year. They'll have to scalp them, by them on E-Bay or find a Cyclone Friend who'll take them to the game. Just like it was for me last year at Kinnick.

Maybe Hawkeye fans will see to it that ISU’s stadium sits ‘‘half-empty’’ on Sept. 15.

I'm sure they can really stick it to us if they don't show up for the game. I'm sure it will still be packed without any of the Hawkeye fans.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

While I don't hate their players or coaches, this is exactly the kind of crap that makes me hate the hawk fans. All of a sudden they're entitled to a ticket to the game just because they live in the state of Iowa.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 29

I would love to see Gary Barta drop the Iowa State series. He would have the state legislature down his throat faster than a new york minute. Thats what happened when Iowa did not want to play ISU back in the middle seventies.

Go ahead Mr Barta and just try and drop the Iowa State series, it will be my pleasure to see the carnage that the legislature makes out of the Univ of Iowa!

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by burn587 View Post
    I think hawk fans are just having a hard time with the world not revolving around Iowa City anymore.
    Exactly. And since when did their fans account for a majority of the people in Jack Trice? That's such an incredibly arrogant thing to say, that it's not our fans that fill up our stadium, it's theirs. And then they act like it's an honor for us that we're being allowed to play them! Are you ******* kidding me??? If they want to go play UNI, that's fine with me. They're getting sick of the competition. Plus, I'd love to see UNI beat them..

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

I wonder how we'd be reacting if the slipper was on the other foot...

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is a dumb arguement. Pollard said it best himself on one of the interviews, this is no different than when we have to go to Iowa City to play. Iowa sells out their season tickets so there are no single game tickets sold when we play them. If you want tickets to that game you usually have to scalp them or know someone that has season tickets. So all Pollard is really doing is challenging ISU fans to sell out their season tickets so there is not even a reason to put single game tickets for sale.

Acording to some Hawk fans the ISU game is "just another game" to them so why do they even care? If it's just another game then you should not be upset about missing it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 788
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Talking Re: Editorial in CR Gazette re: Iowa vs. ISU game

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Isn't Kinnick usually sold out before the season? It isn't like ISU fans have much choice in finding a way into any games over there - and if we sold out Jack T. for the season, they wouldn't have any room to talk. Its our stadium, let us do what we want on our own turf.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    This is a dumb arguement. Pollard said it best himself on one of the interviews, this is no different than when we have to go to Iowa City to play. Iowa sells out their season tickets so there are no single game tickets sold when we play them. If you want tickets to that game you usually have to scalp them or know someone that has season tickets. So all Pollard is really doing is challenging ISU fans to sell out their season tickets so there is not even a reason to put single game tickets for sale.

Acording to some Hawk fans the ISU game is "just another game" to them so why do they even care? If it's just another game then you should not be upset about missing it.
    That is not completely true. Last season Iowa donors/season ticket holders were able to purchase additional tickets for the Iowa-ISU game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Obviously, we're sporting huge Cyclone biases, here at Cyclone Fanatic. That aside, here are a couple of points I'd like to make:

1.) Tickets to games in Iowa City ARE hard to come by for visiting fans outside the normal allotment. (2005 average attendance was 70585, or 100.27%, and 40340 of those were season tickets.)

2.) Trice has about 25000 fewer seats than Kinnick. This only multiplies the effect of single game ticket sales hurting season ticket sales.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

$90 per ticket for the Iowa allotment is over the line of reasonable increases. $65 to $90 is NOT a smart political move and this is rapidly moving towards the political arena IMO. The current contract expires in 2010 with changes to come.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydaze46 View Post
    $90 per ticket for the Iowa allotment is over the line of reasonable increases. $65 to $90 is NOT a smart political move and this is rapidly moving towards the political arena IMO. The current contract expires in 2010 with changes to come.
    If the tickets get too expensive, nobody will buy them. That's simple economics. I doubt $90 is going to keep the allotment from selling.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Walk On
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I hate to say it -- but if either of the schools dropped the other in this series -- the legistlature would not get involved. Today there too many other important issues that need to be addressed.

The important issue is whether our fan base will step up to the chjallenge to sell out JTS on a season ticket basis this year.

I sense a concerted waffling from our fan base in achieving this objective. It is really disappointing since we all talk the 'take it to the next level' mantra but are not willing to prove it with our pocketbooks.

If we sell JTS out on a season ticket basis -- the squaks don't matter!