Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Des Moines Register

Does anyone else here subscribe to the Rag? We've had a seven day a week subscription for awhile, because I was offered a pretty decent rate quite awhile ago. We were paying $9.35 a month. We just received a letter that our rate is going up to $14.13 a month, even though when I signed up for the special rate they told me that I would keep it as long as I set it up on automatic payment. I called customer service and they wouldn't budge. I told them this helped make up my mind on dropping such a crappy paper, since I had been considering it anyway. No way I was paying $14 a month for a paper with decreasing content and an increasing far-left political agenda. Not to mention the Hawkeye bias.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Des Moines Register

Yep. Dropped from daily to Sunday only March 1st because the size/content has actually decreased even more rapidy in the last couple of months. Should just get rid of Sunday, too.....

You know what, Stewie, if you don't like it, go on the internet and complain. -Brian Griffin

Somebody's gotta go back and get a ----load of dimes. -Taggart

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 485

Remember when they used to have the all-out MLB standings with a lot of categories, all the pitching matchups? Now it's like Wins, losses and percentage.

@RandomGeoFacts

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I know a lot of people on here don't like the Des Moines Register, but by doing this I'd have to think this hurts Des Moines as a whole. Having a citywide major newspaper is pretty important and I think a lot of papers are really struggling in this economny. I understand your situation, however I can't help but think $5 is not that big of a deal.

Kinnick smells like syrup.

Addict
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 98

I lost any liking I had for the Register when they dumped the Big Peach.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

Quote Originally Posted by ISUboi12 View Post
    I know a lot of people on here don't like the Des Moines Register, but by doing this I'd have to think this hurts Des Moines as a whole. Having a citywide major newspaper is pretty important and I think a lot of papers are really struggling in this economny. I understand your situation, however I can't help but think $5 is not that big of a deal.
    I was a journalism major for a while so I think a local paper has value, I would consider this if I thought they actually did some real investigative reporting into the corruption in this town as opposed to being functional advertising for the democratic party. I will never, ever pay for the Rag under any circumstances.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 64

Thats a lot of money to be paying the something worthy of only butt wad and possibly campfire starting material. I haven't read that worthless paper for probably 4 yrs now and don't miss it one little tiny bit.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I agree that an effective daily is vital to any metro area. For me, it came down to my feeling that the Register was too out of touch with their readers (or at least this one). That and the fact that it seems that it is merely a compilation of AP stories with fewer and fewer local stories.

You know what, Stewie, if you don't like it, go on the internet and complain. -Brian Griffin

Somebody's gotta go back and get a ----load of dimes. -Taggart

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 2

True, but it sounds like it's more the decrease in content/quality of content as opposed to the $5. I use to read the DMR all the time but there is not a whole lot of quality stuff in it anymore...

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Pretty much just fill up my car at Kum & Go on Sunday morning and get the Sunday Rag for free. Usually don't get much beyond the sports section and ads. If we go out for breakfast, I'll peruse through the front section while waiting for food.

Otherwise, if something of interest is linked - I'll read it online.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 284

The Des Moines Register has gone WAY down hill since the 80's. They used to have the big peach. It was unique. Nobody else did it. I would grab the rag in high school and with one tug the sports section would come out of it. No searching. I knew it was peach. Also the far left politics in the rag drive me insane.
    Especially Raka Basu and her mindless dribble.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,402
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0514 View Post
    Does anyone else here subscribe to the Rag? We've had a seven day a week subscription for awhile, because I was offered a pretty decent rate quite awhile ago. We were paying $9.35 a month. We just received a letter that our rate is going up to $14.13 a month, even though when I signed up for the special rate they told me that I would keep it as long as I set it up on automatic payment. I called customer service and they wouldn't budge. I told them this helped make up my mind on dropping such a crappy paper, since I had been considering it anyway. No way I was paying $14 a month for a paper with decreasing content and an increasing far-left political agenda. Not to mention the Hawkeye bias.

I'll be in the minority, but I mostly like the Register. I actually only get the Monday-Saturday papers and skip the Sunday. It's much cheaper and I buy the Sunday paper when I want it.

I like having an actual paper to read instead of just reading on the internet.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 118

I completely agree that local papers help the area. However, the des moines register has completely lost touch with its readerbase. Pushing farther and farther left, away from iowans who are more moderate, firing local talents like Duffy while keeping on worthless columns like Basu. And of course, the hawkeye bias and constant sniping at the cyclones, even though ISU is just up the road from des moines, .

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,153
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 114

I subscribe. Like others indicated, there is value in having a local newspaper and quite frankly, it is a habit of mine to read it every morning.

I guess I've become numb to the left leaning headlines & editorial content because I haven't really noticed any shift. The Reg seems just as left as I always perceived them to be.

I think from a networking standpoint (especially amongst business associates/peers), it is important to at least scan the daily each day. I know for me personally, I find it annoying when someone can't small-talk or discuss an issues that has been fairly prominently covered by the local media. People shouldn't discount the impression left when you're not up on current events (local or otherwise).

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I tried to get the DSM Register delivered to my home. Unfortunately, they just couldn't get it done. The organization is incompetent from the top to the bottom.

I won't even take the free copy at Kum'n'Go.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details