Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Printer?

I'm getting a new printer this weekend. The main usuage is for printing photos, but there would be the occasional office work as well. I like the idea of the all-in-one with the copy and scan functions, but I don't think the printers photo quality matches up to others that are photo specific.

Anyone have recommendations?

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Printer?

I usually get printers that can do "adequate" printing of photos. But my mantra is that home printers are near-disposable items (very green of me, I know).

But if I get a year out of it, I feel ok. Too much can happen with nozzles, alignments, etc. And over time, the self fixing mechanisms just don't get it done, and there's no where to get it fixed - cheaply.

Therefore I rarely spend much more than maybe $75 on a printer. Most come with a first supply of ink - which is about $50+ itself. If you find the right deals at box stores, it's almost cheaper to buy a new printer, than get ink refills (never done it, but still...)

I've almost always got Epsons. They have good quality photos - if I want better I'll just take it to Walgreens or Target or one of the online places. Never got a scanner/copier.

Make sure whatever you get, you can get ink locally. I know Dell used to only sell their inks through them (you can get them at Office Depot and such places now). But before, you would have to pay through the nose to order it.

And also make sure you get the separate ink cartridges (usually 4 total) and not the black and combined 3 colors in two cartridges.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,294
    Given: 635

I hate printers.

Over/under on cuss words while working with any printer- 1000

Odds that I may smash my printer with a hammer after I'm done with it- 1.5 to 1

Prospect
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Try the Kodak printer. My wife bought it for her daycare business. The ink is cheap and so far it has proven reliable

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,757
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I usually get printers that can do "adequate" printing of photos. But my mantra is that home printers are near-disposable items (very green of me, I know).

But if I get a year out of it, I feel ok. Too much can happen with nozzles, alignments, etc. And over time, the self fixing mechanisms just don't get it done, and there's no where to get it fixed - cheaply.

Therefore I rarely spend much more than maybe $75 on a printer. Most come with a first supply of ink - which is about $50+ itself. If you find the right deals at box stores, it's almost cheaper to buy a new printer, than get ink refills (never done it, but still...)

I've almost always got Epsons. They have good quality photos - if I want better I'll just take it to Walgreens or Target or one of the online places. Never got a scanner/copier.

Make sure whatever you get, you can get ink locally. I know Dell used to only sell their inks through them (you can get them at Office Depot and such places now). But before, you would have to pay through the nose to order it.

And also make sure you get the separate ink cartridges (usually 4 total) and not the black and combined 3 colors in two cartridges.
    Buy your printers and ink online and save some money.... I agree on not spending alot on a printer. And I used to be anti all in one before they became so cheap.

When I bought my first printer some 11 years ago it was a photo printer and with photo paper printer a pretty nice picture, today they are all even better so I don't think you can go wrong.

I recently got a officejet 6310 for like $80 it is a little slow on the scanning and copying, and takes a little time to get started on the first page but if you get a photo cart for it, it will do nice pictures.

If you jump yup your price range to the 6450 it has wireless built in and is much faster at all items.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Have heard good things about these, and ink is cheaper.

KODAK ESP 7 All-in-One Printer

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've been partial to Espon and Cannon because I've read their photo printers are some of the best.

I think scanning could be nice to make digital copies of old photos. Anyone have any luck with this.

Copy and fax aren't so important to me as I'm sure I wouldn't use it all that much. But maybe that's where I just buy a nice photo printere and then find one of those small portable scanners.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by moater View Post
    Try the Kodak printer. My wife bought it for her daycare business. The ink is cheap and so far it has proven reliable
    That's good to know, moater. I have seen them advertised and always wondered what the quality was like. It seems like they advertise that a black OEM ink cartridge is like $10 and the color cartridge is around $15.

As cheap as these darned printers have gotten, I have seriously thought about tossing my HP printer and trying the Kodak. I could probably justify the Kodak with three or four ink cartridge purchases.

Burgermeister!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 512

I've got a color laserjet printer - HP Laserjet 2600. HP has some newer models in the $300 range.

Mine has 4 cartridges (3 color + black) and they cost around $70 each. But the life of the cartridges is very, very good compared to that of inkjets. I've had that printer for more than a year and have not changed a cartridge yet (and I do print quite a bit )

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

One other minor thing, alot of stores give you little discounts - maybe a few bucks off if you "recycle" your cartridges with them. Office Depot used to give you a ream of paper, but now I think it's a few bucks off your next purchase. Not a big deal - but it's nice little gimmick to save some $$.

Anyway, for some reason most of these places haven't accepted my Epson cartridges - I have no idea why.

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Okidata Laser Printers I have a C5150 and its been great

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Laser would be awesome, but they're a bit big it seems.

Here is one that caught my eye...

Canon - PIXMA Multifunction Printer/ Copier/ Scanner - MP620

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,729
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 71

I own an HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-One printer

Amazon.com: HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-One Printer: Electronics

At $150 at Best Buy, it is a little more pricey, but it produces nice results, and it is wireless enabled, which is a big plus for me.