Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

School size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post

Wish the state would do something similar with some of the County Court House and School systems.
    Bigger schools are not always better or the answer.

As for the agents. They do play a role but as time goes by they play less and less of a role.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 201

Re: ISU Extension Service to be Cut

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post

As for the agents. They do play a role but as time goes by they play less and less of a role.
    You're correct, bigger schools are not always better. Theres a balance. However, you cannot tell me that the schools that have 5 people in a senior class are able to provide the educational opportunities for all the diverse educational needs -from special education to gifted\talented to AP classes to vocational skills, or even electives like music and art that even more medium or large sized schools are. I'm definitely not advocating all schools be valley-sized (i came from waukee, back when the graduating class was about 160) but there comes a point where the school sizes are too small to justify the resources.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

I'm not suggesting bigger schools at all. What I do find wasterfull is a seperate superintendent for each school. You could easily have one superintendent for each county(okay perhaps more then that in Metro counties.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alarson83 View Post
    You're correct, bigger schools are not always better. Theres a balance. However, you cannot tell me that the schools that have 5 people in a senior class are able to provide the educational opportunities for all the diverse educational needs -from special education to gifted\talented to AP classes to vocational skills, or even electives like music and art that even more medium or large sized schools are. I'm definitely not advocating all schools be valley-sized (i came from waukee, back when the graduating class was about 160) but there comes a point where the school sizes are too small to justify the resources.
    There are some super small schools yes, but if it works for them, they should leave good enough alone. My wife had a friend that had 6 people in her class and she has done very well for herself. What happens in HS doenst always translate to how you do in college.

I'm not suggesting bigger schools at all. What I do find wasterfull is a seperate superintendent for each school. You could easily have one superintendent for each county(okay perhaps more then that in Metro counties.
    Schools need their own superintendent, but there is no reason he cannot do more that just be a superintendent, teach a class or 2 or something else. If we go to the county idea, you know as well as I they will have to have people under them for diffent schools or areas and once you do that you are back to where you started.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,383
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 0

There are some super small schools yes, but if it works for them, they should leave good enough alone. My wife had a friend that had 6 people in her class and she has done very well for herself. What happens in HS doenst always translate to how you do in college.

Schools need their own superintendent, but there is no reason he cannot do more that just be a superintendent, teach a class or 2 or something else. If we go to the county idea, you know as well as I they will have to have people under them for diffent schools or areas and once you do that you are back to where you started.
    If the Cedar Rapids community school district which includes 3 4-A schools (Washington, Jefferson, Kennedy) can get by with 1 superindendent, I think a single superintendent can handle a half dozen smaller schools. Maybe each individual school could have an associate superintendent that also teaches stuff, but I don't think each school needs a full time superintendent.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    If the Cedar Rapids community school district which includes 3 4-A schools (Washington, Jefferson, Kennedy) can get by with 1 superindendent, I think a single superintendent can handle a half dozen smaller schools. Maybe each individual school could have an associate superintendent that also teaches stuff, but I don't think each school needs a full time superintendent.
    Exactly. You need a principal at each school of course.

Addict
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,339
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 21

Exactly. You need a principal at each school of course.

Yep, I agree completely. I graduated from a school that has 750 students K-12, so it isn't super small by Iowa standards, but they have 3 full time principals (that don't teach) and 1 super. Completely unncessary.

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    Each school district has a monthly board meeting. If 6 districts share a sup, that one person would have 6 board meeting to prepare for each month. The hours needed would be ridiculous.

The sup. is the final say of all problems in a small district. In larger schools the sup. might not even hear of smaller issues.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

[QUOTE=kingcy;1037304]There are some super small schools yes, but if it works for them, they should leave good enough alone. My wife had a friend that had 6 people in her class and she has done very well for herself. What happens in HS doenst always translate to how you do in college.

In theory that is fine, but whent the state provides $6-7,000 per student, then the people of the broader funding area do have a right to debate the size.

Giving it a go
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyAggie View Post
    [.

In theory that is fine, but whent the state provides $6-7,000 per student, then the people of the broader funding area do have a right to debate the size.
    If the funding is the same per student, let the district decide if they need to consolidate.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    If the funding is the same per student, let the district decide if they need to consolidate.
    Local management that will never work. Bigger is always better in government.

If a school cannot make it and no one wants to consolidate with them divide it up among the neighboring districts and save a pile of BS.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    Here is what it boils down to, if the state, (ie the non residents of the district are the only ones making a district viable, then they have an equal or greater say than the local).

For the record, I favor smaller schools, and local control. Many studies have shown schools can be to large, and to small.

Bottom line if you use non-local funding those making the funding will expect input mechanism.

Giving it a go
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here is what it boils down to, if the state, (ie the non residents of the district are the only ones making a district viable, then they have an equal or greater say than the local).

For the record, I favor smaller schools, and local control. Many studies have shown schools can be to large, and to small.

Bottom line if you use non-local funding those making the funding will expect input mechanism.
    This is way past the original post, but why does the state have control of local school districts? (Money) I will state again, if the state payes the same per student to school districts, why do they want to make schools bigger?

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: ISU Extension Service faces Cuts

The state has a responsibility in setting minimum educational and curriculum requirements for the state.

The question is by changing size, and structures, can they lower the fee/student over time (or being more realistic slowing the rate of growth).

Last edited by CyAg; 04-30-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Giving it a go
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: ISU Extension Service faces Cuts

The question is by changing size, and structures, can they lower the fee/student over time.
    Would most consider Ballard a smaller school and Des Moines a big school? They currently have the same expense per day.
    Attached Files Attached Files