Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 306,165, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    19,088
    Points
    306,165
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,772
    Given: 2,075

    Weekend grilling

    I want to grill a great burger this weekend. Any can't miss suggestions?



  2. #2
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,360
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Weekend grilling

    Make sure you have enough gas for your grill before you start.

    Sounds like a dumb and obvious suggestion ..... it's not

    Cooking tips - sorry, I'm a straight forward cheeseburger kind of guy.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 353,514, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,884
    Points
    353,514
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 7

    Re: Weekend grilling

    Not a suggestion, but a lament:

    My grill is out of commission right now, because a squirrel chewed through the hose from the burners to the propane tank.

    If I catch him, I'm having grilled squirrel.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 27,645, Level: 51
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,005
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,187
    Points
    27,645
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 67

    Re: Weekend grilling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    I want to grill a great burger this weekend. Any can't miss suggestions?
    This is going to sound pretty simple, but use good fresh meat (from a butcher if you have one in your area) and don't overcook. You can add seasoning, cheese, or anything else you want but I find the most important thing to cooking a good burger is to not overcook.

    I find that making the patties thinner helps get even cooking throughout the meat and avoids overcooking the thin spots while barely getting the thicker spots done.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,961, Level: 80
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,476
    Points
    67,961
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 315

    Re: Weekend grilling

    From Alton Brown (Food Network show "Good Eats"):

    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

    Mix that with 1 pound of whatever ground meat you prefer. It's pretty simple, but mighty tasty.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 54,253, Level: 72
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,297
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    isukendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,113
    Points
    54,253
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 753

    Re: Weekend grilling

    I usually get ground beef, then mix in some diced onion, diced garlic (or garlic powder), and worchestershire sauce. Makes a great burger, flavor throughout.

    Of course, I also like chunky peanut butter on my burgers.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 17,432, Level: 40
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Gordyo5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Glenwood / Ames
    Posts
    1,195
    Points
    17,432
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 112

    Re: Weekend grilling

    Only suggestion: don't use gas.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 181,000, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,260
    Points
    181,000
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

    Re: Weekend grilling

    Lawry's Seasoning Salt and pepper.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  9. #9
    All-Star Cycloin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    1,058
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Weekend grilling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    I want to grill a great burger this weekend. Any can't miss suggestions?
    Have plenty of beer.


    You know what, Stewie, if you don't like it, go on the internet and complain. -Brian Griffin

    Somebody's gotta go back and get a ----load of dimes. -Taggart

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 58,890, Level: 75
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,160
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    guitarchitect7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,348
    Points
    58,890
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 27

    Re: Weekend grilling

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    From Alton Brown (Food Network show "Good Eats"):

    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

    Mix that with 1 pound of whatever ground meat you prefer. It's pretty simple, but mighty tasty.
    I would second all that. Salt does wonders, and the garlin and oninon add a lot of flavor.

    Here's a side tip. Mesh the meat with some eggs(non cooked), it helps with the juiciness. Bread crumbs do well too, but then I think the burger tastes too much like bread. I also spray some liquid butter over the top of to help as well.


    "You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 181,000, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,260
    Points
    181,000
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

    Re: Weekend grilling

    Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    I usually get ground beef, then mix in some diced onion, diced garlic (or garlic powder), and worchestershire sauce. Makes a great burger, flavor throughout.

    Of course, I also like chunky peanut butter on my burgers.
    Good God man. My dog likes that too, but not on his burgers. It's OK, you know, because it's my dog.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 181,000, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,260
    Points
    181,000
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

    Re: Weekend grilling

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    I would second all that. Salt does wonders, and the garlin and oninon add a lot of flavor.

    Here's a side tip. Mesh the meat with some eggs(non cooked), it helps with the juiciness. Bread crumbs do well too, but then I think the burger tastes too much like bread. I also spray some liquid butter over the top of to help as well.
    That's called a meatloaf burger. Really good.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,961, Level: 80
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,476
    Points
    67,961
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 315

    Re: Weekend grilling

    Quote Originally Posted by sunset View Post
    This is going to sound pretty simple, but use good fresh meat (from a butcher if you have one in your area) and don't overcook. You can add seasoning, cheese, or anything else you want but I find the most important thing to cooking a good burger is to not overcook.

    I find that making the patties thinner helps get even cooking throughout the meat and avoids overcooking the thin spots while barely getting the thicker spots done.
    And NEVER press the burgers down with a spatula while cooking. All you do is squeeze out the juices, leaving a rather dry burger.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 27,645, Level: 51
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,005
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,187
    Points
    27,645
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 67

    Re: Weekend grilling

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    And NEVER press the burgers down with a spatula while cooking. All you do is squeeze out the juices, leaving a rather dry burger.
    Yes, very important.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 66,960, Level: 80
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,827
    Points
    66,960
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 365
    Given: 196

    Re: Weekend grilling

    I like to occasionally make them with chili powder. Worcestershire is always a can't miss though.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM