Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 25

Moving to St. Louis and need advice

I'm not familiar with St. Louis and don't know much about neighborhoods and certain areas of town. I'm looking at buying a home or condo in St. Louis or surrounding areas and wanted to know where some good up and coming areas are in town. I'm looking for an area that a lot of things to do...like restaurants, bars, parks, etc... I'm looking for an area that is still a good deal and don't mine putting some sweat equity into the home and have it appreciate over time. If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Moving to St. Louis and need advice

Look just East of the River or just NW of Downtown. You'll find some good buys.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Where will you be working? What is your time-table for the move?

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 2forISU View Post
    I'm not familiar with St. Louis and don't know much about neighborhoods and certain areas of town. I'm looking at buying a home or condo in St. Louis or surrounding areas and wanted to know where some good up and coming areas are in town. I'm looking for an area that a lot of things to do...like restaurants, bars, parks, etc... I'm looking for an area that is still a good deal and don't mine putting some sweat equity into the home and have it appreciate over time. If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
    If you really want to do yourself a good service, rent for a short period of time and take a good amount of time to look for the right neighborhood and then the right house. Good time to take your time and get the best situation for yourself.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A friend of mine bought a house in East St. Louis. He said it's a good idea not to buy a house in the winter there. Nobody is outside. When it turned summer he realized he made a bad choice. Also, he had a friend come over to pick something up at his house. In the ten minutes they were in the house their car got jacked from his driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've lived in the Brentwood area for 10 years. It's not necessarily an up-and-coming area but it is nice and very convenient. Right in the middle of the city and near I-64/I-170 which will get you anywhere in about 20 minutes. There are also two nice condominium complexes in Brentwood if you want to go that route.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm familiar with East St. Louis...thank you for the advice, but I want to see another day.

It's going to be within the next month. I work for a pharma company and handle the vaccines for the state and hospitals in MO.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

East St. Louis is a hell-hole. Steer clear. North St. Louis is pretty rough as well. There was a lot of white flight in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, and now North St. Louis has a ton of section 8 housing, high crime, drugs, etc. The suburban development was to the west, out in St. Louis County (or West County). It's pretty bland out there, cookie-cutter developments & neighborhoods, but significantly less crime. The other thing to consider is the commute in from West County can be pretty long. I know some partners at my firm take 45 minutes to get to downtown from their West County homes. South County is much more affordable, but not as nice as West County. I live in University City, just north of Downtown Clayton (St. Louis has 2 distinct downtowns) and it's relatively safe, with older homes, a little more character than West County, closer to downtown, but kinda pricey. The Tower Grove area has been undergoing some redevelopment and renewal, as is the Lafayette Square area. These are two older neighborhoods to the South and East of Forest Park & Downtown, with lots of brick homes, old trees, etc. That's a much nicer area now than it was 5 years ago. Webster Groves and Shrewsbury are pretty nice areas, with older Victorian homes and larger lot sizes. I really like Webster, plus it's on the I-44 corridor. The I-64 corridor is undergoing major overhauls, and there is a 5 mile stretch of it that is completely shut down right now. It's supposed to be complete by the end of the year.

Sorry for the wall of text, but St. Louis is definitely a tough place to describe. There are nice neighborhoods right next to run-down neighborhoods, and it can be a real crap shoot trying to find the good ones. If we weren't leaving St. Louis within the next few months, My wife and I would be looking at buying in University City, Webster Groves, and the Tower Grove/Lafayette Square areas.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks Seth.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No problem. If you want to know about particular areas, feel free to send me a PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    I've lived in the Brentwood area for 10 years. It's not necessarily an up-and-coming area but it is nice and very convenient. Right in the middle of the city and near I-64/I-170 which will get you anywhere in about 20 minutes. There are also two nice condominium complexes in Brentwood if you want to go that route.
    Brentwood is not the middle of the city just to clarify - it is near the middle of the metro though. It is one of the first, and most convenient, suburb to the west of the city. you would be around 15 minutes from downtown. Brentwood is an excellent area - especially for singles. I lived there for 5 years until I recently made the move to west county after getting married. I think West County is much better for raising a family than anywhere else in the metro.